Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FPS Increasing Without Changing The Game?  (Read 3160 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Increasing Without Changing The Game?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 10:17:21 am »

stop whining i'm on brazil and my processor is a pentium dual core 2.7 hz :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 10:47:28 am »

I combated framerate in a different sort of way.. I keep my max framerate at 60 (as opposed to the default of 100, if I'm not mistaken).  Not only does the game flow nicer IMO (things aren't racing in every direction) but it takes far longer for me to notice FPS issues.

There are tricks, both on the wiki and mentioned here, to try to improve framerate (some require restarting your game and some require making a new map) so I won't go into all of those but ultimately they are just bandages, sooner or later, if you play long enough and your fort grows enough, your framerate will drop to zero (or at least to a number so low you can no longer enjoy the game).

These days its not a real issue to me cause, aside from the above, I also tend to play very difficult settings (high savagery, high megabeasts, mods that add lots of sieges, hard embarks, personal rules to make the game more challenging, etc) so I tend to die before FPS becomes a major issue or at least have my society culled to keep my numbers down :)  When I have a fort going in a normal vanilla setting I tend to get bored before FPS becomes a major issue.  Then again, as I said, I start at sixty and my FPS is rarely (regularly*) below fifty, if its dropped at all, by the time I'm done, so its not as noticiable as having it drop from 100 to fifty.

*Sometimes when mutliple sieges come it drops down a bit, but just until I've taken care of the enemies (and they've taken care of a few dwarves).

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 10:53:26 am »

stop whining i'm on brazil and my processor is a pentium dual core 2.7 hz :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Lucky that works better than mine for Dwarf Fortress... but I take that back cause I like mine still :P

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 10:54:52 am »

I combated framerate in a different sort of way.. I keep my max framerate at 60 (as opposed to the default of 100, if I'm not mistaken).  Not only does the game flow nicer IMO (things aren't racing in every direction) but it takes far longer for me to notice FPS issues.

There are tricks, both on the wiki and mentioned here, to try to improve framerate (some require restarting your game and some require making a new map) so I won't go into all of those but ultimately they are just bandages, sooner or later, if you play long enough and your fort grows enough, your framerate will drop to zero (or at least to a number so low you can no longer enjoy the game).

These days its not a real issue to me cause, aside from the above, I also tend to play very difficult settings (high savagery, high megabeasts, mods that add lots of sieges, hard embarks, personal rules to make the game more challenging, etc) so I tend to die before FPS becomes a major issue or at least have my society culled to keep my numbers down :)  When I have a fort going in a normal vanilla setting I tend to get bored before FPS becomes a major issue.  Then again, as I said, I start at sixty and my FPS is rarely (regularly*) below fifty, if its dropped at all, by the time I'm done, so its not as noticiable as having it drop from 100 to fifty.

*Sometimes when mutliple sieges come it drops down a bit, but just until I've taken care of the enemies (and they've taken care of a few dwarves).

I get yea, I just FINALLY got past the hurdles I was facing in the past and was hoping to have a siege finally come in (think I need to gen a new world cause like nothing attacks me) I just didn't wanna abandon yet! Not yet haha.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 12:13:50 pm »

urist es #1 en brasil never lose always win heuheuheuhuehueheu

(People who don't play League of Legends probably don't get that joke)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 02:24:42 pm »

urist es #1 en brasil never lose always win heuheuheuhuehueheu

(People who don't play League of Legends probably don't get that joke)
?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

HunterCyprus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 09:50:54 pm »

How big is your embark?  I'm sorry if I missed it earlier up thread, having a hard time concentrating on reading...  Too busy getting my stupid jail stockpiles working properly...

I am getting 100 FPS with 250 dwarves on my 2X2 embark.  I have discovered 2 of the caverns so far.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 08:49:28 am »

I have me a six core processor, 3.2ghz (work requirements  :P),  and so I devote core 3 to, and only to, df.
I rise df's priority to high
I've got fps set at 100 and gfps at 50
VBO print mode

What else can I do to make it go faster?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »

Lower GFPS... I can cope with 5, others prefer 10 to 15

BTW AFAIK multiple cores isnt helping much due to the way DF runs...
This is a blank sig.

Fireborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 01:18:35 pm »

Here I was hoping someone had found a magic bullet.  Ah well.

I just turned off temp, and doubled my frame-rate...  12-14 to 28-30.

The display modes didn't help anything for me.  But, my current fort is running onto it's 31st year.

Might just breach hell and be done with it before the next version is announced.  Had decent FPS up to year 20 when I let them have kids and upped to pop-cap to 200...  Probably stick with 50-100 dwarves in the future.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 07:59:27 pm »

For me it's temperature=off, unless I plan on magmaing someone. Temperature is nice, but it eats up 20 FPS at least.
The gFPS gets lowered to 15. Lower values work too, but tend to give some problems with the game's reaction time and double key presses.
I usually have the print mode set to partial:2 and it works great. I heard that it's not the best for all systems, though.
With a bit of planning, traffic designations and lots of butchery, I can get about 80 FPS on a 3x3 embark with 130 dwarves and some moving water. I find anything over 100 FPS way too fast anyway, except for the very beginning when nothing interesting happens. Did you ever watch an epic battle between 30 dwarves and 100 gobbos at that speed? It's like 5 seconds of gore but you're not able to actually see anything.

That's on a 3GHz Dual Core with 3GB of RAM and freshly optimized system.
Shutting down all unnecessary programs that run in the background, helps a little, even if DF is restricted to its own core. Normally, there's stuff like antivirus, antispyware, firewall, several chat clients (skype, ICQ, and so on), internet browser (some need to be closed with the task manager to be completely dead), Windows update processes, music player, drivers for webcam, cellphone, printers, graphic tablets and so on. Most of these are not needed for DF and can be safely disabled while playing. Defragmenting your hard drive can also help a little. It doesn't do much for DF as a game, but optimizes the overall performance of your system, giving DF more resources to work with. I was very surprised, when I removed anything unnecessary from the system (and there's quite a lot of stuff after 3 years) and did a defrag... everything went way faster and DF is a pretty good benchmark for that. One particular fort went from 45 to 50-55 FPS.

And also what Mickey Blue said... lowering the max framerate makes it work much smoother. I hate it, when my dwarves jump from one end of the map to other in one second and then slow down to a crawl in the next, because I designated some stones to be dumped. It feels faster, when the framerate is the same all the time.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 07:52:22 am »

Turning off weather and temperature is going to give you a huge FPS boost.  You do loose a few features, but you gain a big framerate increase, and you can always turn temp back on if something falls in magma or catches fire. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...
Pages: 1 [2]