Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47

Author Topic: (Slightly) Homebrewed *Rogue Trader* - Map Tools / IRC - FULL! Saturdays 3PM EST  (Read 49892 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"I have felt the frozen kiss of the void as my hull split, and lived. I have hurled my warship at my foe as if it were a torpedo, and defeated him utterly. And I will do so again, a thousand times, until the Emperor or the universe decides I've done it once too often" - Rogue Trader Lucien Gherrit

What is Rogue Trader?

Rogue Trader is an addition to the Warhammer 40K RPG system. In it, the players take the role of an infamous Rogue Trader and his or her crew, members of the Imperium granted innumerable rights and allowed to take what they see fit from other worlds.

The heart of a Rogue Trader's authority and unusual freedom is the Warrant of Trade. The first Warrants were signed by the God-Emperor himself to expand the reach of humanity during the Great Crusade, but more have been created in the proceeding millenium. In authority the Rogue Trader matches that of Planetary Governors and Inquisitors, but out in the reaches of space one's true power exists by the ability to enforce his or her will onto the stars.

Rogue Trader is a game of limitless ambitions and the power to change the very fabric of the Warhammer 40K universe... if one survives its many perils. The Imperium of Mankind's dominion is but a few islands of civilization in a vast vast ocean of the untamable and the unknown. Entire alien empires or lost colonies of humans exist within the gaps of the Imperium's grasp and it is on these worlds that a Rogue Trader can make his or her fortune. Ultimately the goal of Rogue Trader is to acquire power. Whether that power is to serve the Imperium or to fulfill selfish desires or both is up to the players.

There are also many ways for a Rogue Trader to pursue their ambitions. One can excavate Archeotech left over from the Dark Age of Technology, deal in forbidden goods such as Xenos technology, or conquer entire worlds for human settlement. As long as your actions benefit the Imperium, the people in power tend to turn a blind eye to things which would otherwise condemn the Rogue Trader as a heretic.

As official servants of the Imperium you also gain access to many benefits when it comes to utilizing the forces of the Emperor. With the status of Rogue Trader you have the ability to requisition units of Imperial Guardsmen, a Vindicare Assassin, or even the aid of a Space Marine Chapter. Technically these arrangements are only temporary, but in practice it can be a very long time before somebody in the Administratum notices a platoon of Stormtroopers are still serving as a Rogue Trader's personal bodyguard. Combined with bribery these arrangements can last much longer.

How will the game be played?

We will be using Map Tools and Hamachi to connect for weekly sessions involving an adventure. However, because Rogue Trader also involves a lot of background activity, there will be a lot of Play-By-Post (PbP) optional involvement. This will be the preferred method for making acquisitions and deciding when you want the ship to go on a Warp trip. It can also be used for investigating certain items found on the adventure or otherwise accomplishing anything which would be done in the background when your characters have a bit of free time.

Map Tools can be downloaded here: http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#MapTool
Hamachi can be downloaded here: http://hamachi.en.softonic.com/

Campaign Info

The campaign will be very free-form once it gets under way. However, I'm starting your group off in an introduction adventure and you won't be able to select your starting ship or components. You guys won't even have the Warrant of Trade when the game begins and your actions will determine whether we play a standard game where you're official Rogue Traders or something... less authorized by Imperial Law.

Players who choose Noble Born as their "Homeworld" are more likely to be granted the Warrant of Trade.

All character concepts should have a reason for why they would be traveling on a passenger ship inside the Calixis Sector. Certain careers will have to be creative either with how they arrived on the ship or what the career actually represents. There's a lot of freedom in personalizing the default careers to fit a certain character concept. You can effectively create any of the Rogue Trader classes by using Elite Advances.

HOMEBREW RULES

- All characters use a Rogue Trader character generation but upgrade their character using Black Crusade's Allied costs for Talents and Skills. Exceptions can be made if the character's concept would focus on said Skill or Talent, in which case they'd be at True cost.

- Characteristic Advancement is completely personalized. Instead of using your Career's advancement table, you select 3 Primary, 3 Secondary, and 3 Tertiary Characteristics. Primary gets the cheapest costs (True), Secondary the middleground (Allied), and Tertiary are the most expensive (Opposed).

- Profit Factor grows more slowly and is split into a general profit factor as well as Influence ratings, which improve Profit Factor for select groups.

Spoiler: "Character Creation" (click to show/hide)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Session Info

Session Time is Saturday 3PM EST

CAMPAIGN

Current Players Slots

- MajorMurray
- NewsMuffin
- Yoink
- scriver
- tbt
- Atomicdremora
- Taricus

Player Roles

(under revision 2/11/2012)

Spoiler: Psyker (NewsMuffin) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scum (Yoink) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Navigator (scriver) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skitarii (Phantom) (click to show/hide)

Current Adventure: Lathes

Current XP Gained: 4800

Spoiler: "Influence" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Profit Factor" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Unique Assets" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "List of the Fallen" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:38:31 am by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrewed *Rogue Trader* - Map Tools - Sign up (2/5)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:13:57 pm »

Spoiler: "Fate" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Rate of Fire" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:43:56 am by Glowcat »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:14:22 pm »

(reserved)

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrewed *Rogue Trader* - Map Tools - Sign up (1/5)
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 01:40:39 pm »

just give me an vauge idea of how to use maptools and hamachi and i will learn it.
Edit: huh that was easy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:51:45 pm by Ahra »
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »

Oh wow, those rules look really, really awesome! Not that I've ever read the basic rules for Rogue Trader, but still...
I would definitely join, even having no real idea how to play, but I'm not sure if times will work out.
Put me down as a maybe, perhaps? :) Really like the rules, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:16:29 pm »

just give me an vauge idea of how to use maptools and hamachi and i will learn it.

Unfortunately I've yet to have real experience with either when it comes to connecting to people. I'm going purely off of online information here.

From what I understand of Hamachi, it will lets us connect as if on a LAN when you join a network I make. I'm guessing that once that's done you simply join my Map Tools server with the LAN option. I'm going to see if I can get it to work correctly before next weekend.

Oh wow, those rules look really, really awesome! Not that I've ever read the basic rules for Rogue Trader, but still...
I would definitely join, even having no real idea how to play, but I'm not sure if times will work out.
Put me down as a maybe, perhaps? :) Really like the rules, though.

Cool. If you've played Dark Heresy it's not too much different.

I'll help you get started otherwise.

The basics of the Warhammer 40K RPGs involve a percentile chance and the player must roll underneath one of your characteristics to succeed. Characteristics are modified by things such as skills or environment factors. For every 10 below your target you gain another degree of success, and for every 10 points you miss your target you gain another degree of failure. For all characteristics besides Weapon Skill and Ballistics skill your 10's digit acts as a Characteristic Bonus which improves things separately of rolls. e.g. Toughness Bonus gives you a damage soak equal to itself, Agility Bonus is used to determine initiative and movement speed, etc.

A lot of it is similar to existing mainstream RPGs. You get an initiative and you can choose to perform Free/Half/Full/Extended actions during combat. Ranged weapons can fire in one or more modes, depending on the weapon. "Levels" are gained by spending experience on Character Advancements instead of piling up (similar to how The Guild 2 does advancement). Wounds work like HP for the most part. There's nothing too extreme, except maybe psychic abilities causing rampaging Warp demons to enter reality, and it's easy to pick up. The only difficulty you might have without the books is choosing Talents/Skills as well as Gear. I'll see what I can do in that area. It wouldn't be too hard to create a table with all the relevant info.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 02:23:46 pm »

Or I could just roll some dice, and some less cerebrally-challenged person could do the sheet... :P
But um, okay, I definitely would like to join. Once I know what time we're gonna have for the sessions, I'll be able to say if I can or not.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrewed *Rogue Trader* - Map Tools - Sign up (3/5)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 02:49:03 pm »

I'll let you just use http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dhadvanced.html to create a character. Just add +5 to all characteristics due to Rogue Traders starting with more, and set the Divination bonus to something irrelevant, like Insanity.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 02:58:10 pm »

Um, what does corruption, insanity and Divination actually do?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 03:17:58 pm »

The first two are pretty much what it says on the tin.

Insanity is how deranged your character has become due to repeated exposure to the horrors of the universe. When you hit certain thresholds you acquire a permanent Disorder of Minor/Severe/Acute severity.

Corruption is how tainted your character is by Chaos. Hitting thresholds may either grant you a Malignancy, which is some minor freakish trait, or a Mutation.

When you reach 100 points in either your character is considered out of the game due to overwhelming insanity or being turned into a mindless Chaos Spawn.

Divination is an aspect of Dark Heresy character creation primarily meant for Inquisition-based characters. It's normally a random saying determined by Inquisition diviners which might contain some prophetic insight into your character's future and gives an immediate bonus/penalty to certain aspects of your character. Since we're not using its modifiers you can pretty much ignore it unless you want to incorporate the divination into your character's story somehow.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 03:32:09 pm »

acctually im out, not beacause of your rules.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »

I'm in if we end up playing Saturdays. I've wanted to play Rogue Trader for a while now.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 03:44:19 pm »

I'll add you to the roster. Once we've got a full compliment of people we'll sort out the best time to start. I've got classes starting in another week so my Mondays-Tuesdays will be booked, and I've already got a game on Friday.

acctually im out, not beacause of your rules.

No problem.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 04:02:56 pm »

I'm in. Haven't played either Rouge Trader nor any 40K before, though, but it seems very interesting.
Love, scriver~

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »

Hold a slot for me :D
Raggle Fraggle
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47