Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Religious therapy: how to deal with polytheist fortress members  (Read 8452 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Religious therapy: how to deal with polytheist fortress members
« on: December 17, 2015, 06:22:40 pm »

You might have noticed that dwarves that worship more than one deity are hard to please.
Without proper management, they will be distracted wrecks, spending most of their time skulking in the temple to only one of their gods, praying! and meditating!.

Now how can you get those dwarves to worship all their gods instead of one?
It is possible! It just requires you, to monitor your dwarves, and offer a helping hand when one of them starts getting a bad case of wrongful monotheism.

At the very minimum, you need two temples. One polytheist temple, to non specific deity, and one exchange temple, which will be dedicated per case to the appropriate gods. Having more than one exchange temple might make it a bit easier to manage dwarves that worship even more than one deity.

Next, you need burrows. Put a burrow over everywhere you want your dwarves to be able to go (the entire map if you so wish), except over the two temples.
Make two separate burrows for those, and give them a name so you can recognize them in the alerts screen.
Create a custom alert, add the general burrow, and the two temple burrows to it

Now, with this setup in place, whenever you spot a dwarf which does not do much else than praying or meditating in the common temple:

1) go into the dwarf's thoughts, and check out which deities need praying to.
2) designate a location in the exchange temple to the deity than needs praying to
3) go into your (l)ocation screen and (X)retire the polytheist temple.
4) if you designated the loction from a zone, remove the (m)eeting zone designation from the (i)zone menu, if designated from a table, (f)ree the room in the (q)menu
5) go into alerts, remove the polytheist temple from the allowed burrows list and activate the civilian alert on your custom alert
6 unpause the game, and watch your dwarves rush out of the polytheist temple. Your subject dwarf should go to the exchange temple to pray to his neglected deity. This might take a while if it gets distracted by other jobs. Just keep an eye out for it until it prayed, and the thought for praying to that deity turned green
7) reverse the process; (X)retire the exchange temple, recreate the polytheist temple, swap the allowed burrows in your civilian alert.

NOTE: You really need the civilian alert. Just retiring the temple and removing the room/zone does not snap the dwarves out of it. They really need the alert to be kickstarted out of it.

Which makes this harder on experienced military dwarves, who can no longer be controlled by civilian alerts. Had me stomped for a bit there, They were borked in place, I couldn't even move them using squad orders anymore. Sheer luck made me find the solution.

If you do the above procedure with a military dwarf, you'll find he'll end up semi bugged, standing in the place that used to be a temple, with a worship! job.
How to fix: wait for the dwarf to either get a drink, go to sleep, or do anything that makes him leave the room. Then lock the doors. If he tries to get back to it and can't find a path, he'll snap out of it :) . So yeah, much micromanagement needed there, but I suppose weapon lords are worth the hassle.

NOTE 2) Above procedure fully satisfies a dwarf with 2 deities. It will need to be repeated over time though, but it does give a treated dwarf a few seasons of being a productive member instead of a skuling sod. For dwarves with more than 2 deities, just keep reversing the process, alternating your two temples between all needed gods.

SIDE NOTE)  civilian alerts can also be used to temporarily shut down your library or taverns (which can help speed up religious therapy), without the need for (X)retiring zones. The (X)retiring is only nescessary for temples.

Side note2) I wish I had thought of the 2 temples thing sooner. I am using single deity temples for everything. I have 30 temples now. So many foreign gods :P
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:33:52 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
Re: Religious therapy: how to deal with polytheist fortress members
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 06:42:47 pm »

I found just making 3x3 temples devoted to individual gods in a larger temple complex (with or without a polytheist temples) worked as intended. I would post screens of my satisfied polytheist dorfs if I didn't lose the fort to a fire-breathing rhino.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 06:52:48 pm »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'larger temple complex'. Just making all single diety temples does not work, unless them being 3x3 has some unknown bug preventing bonus.
How did you work around the bug where the dwarf will get stuck praying to the first deity it starts praying to?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 07:27:41 pm »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'larger temple complex'. Just making all single diety temples does not work, unless them being 3x3 has some unknown bug preventing bonus.
How did you work around the bug where the dwarf will get stuck praying to the first deity it starts praying to?
No polytheist temple zone. Just a large temple with little pockets devoted to each god. I later added a polytheist temple and it didn't seem to muck anything up though a few dorfs seemed to prefer that area (still satisfied their praying needs though).

I had a polytheist woodworker pray to one god in that deity's temple, rest, wake up and pray to his second deity. Then I assigned him to go off and chop down some mushrooms and he ran off to do it. He was unfettered after praying to both deities. Zero issues. I have made a few changes to my raws but nothing that would seem to affect temple behaviour. I made alcohol not cause as much thoughtlessness, that's the only thing I could think that would affect it. It may have something to do with individual dwarf values/personalities? I have no idea.
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 07:37:09 pm »

No polytheist temple zone. Just a large temple with little pockets devoted to each god. I later added a polytheist temple and it didn't seem to muck anything up though a few dorfs seemed to prefer that area (still satisfied their praying needs though).

I had a polytheist woodworker pray to one god in that deity's temple, rest, wake up and pray to his second deity. Then I assigned him to go off and chop down some mushrooms and he ran off to do it. He was unfettered after praying to both deities. Zero issues. I have made a few changes to my raws but nothing that would seem to affect temple behaviour. I made alcohol not cause as much thoughtlessness, that's the only thing I could think that would affect it. It may have something to do with individual dwarf values/personalities? I have no idea.

Heh, thoughtlessness could be an issue.

Perhaps though it's the 3x3 thing you do. Did you designate those 3x3 spots from a table, or an (i)-zone? Did every 3x3 plot get a chest? Did the 3x3 locations overlap with the larger temple location?

It can't be just the 'no polytheist temple' thing, since that's exactly what I've done. My fort never had a polytheist temple, only separate temples to single deities.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:47:42 pm by martinuzz »

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 08:01:10 pm »

Heh, thoughtlessness could be an issue.

Perhaps though it's the 3x3 thing you do. Did you designate those 3x3 spots from a table, or an (i)-zone? Did every 3x3 plot get a chest? Did the 3x3 locations overlap with the larger temple location?

No overlap. I also suppose the areas were 4x3, I put spaces for statues, no chests or altar tables or anything like that. This was a young fort so the temple had zero decoration save for the occasional statue if my mason managed to make something appropriate for a specific deity. Everything was designated from the (i) menu. My temple looked kind of like this only bigger:

Legend:
W - Wall
T - Temple zone, single god
P - Polytheist temple zone

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWTWWWTWWWTWWWWWW
WWWWWTTTWTTTWTTTWWWWW
WWWWWTTTWTTTWTTTWWWWW
WWWWWTTTWTTTWTTTWWWWW
WWTTT-----------TTTWW
WTTTT--PPPPPPP--TTTTW
WWTTT--PPPPPPP--TTTWW
WWWWW--PPPPPPP--WWWWW

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:03:25 pm by Ysyua »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 08:12:27 pm »

Well that doesn't work in vanilla 42.03. Just leads to dwarves being distracted and only praying to one of their deities. Perhaps the modding you did to alcohol did have something to do with it after all. Perhaps distracted + thoughtless from alcohol prevents vanilla dwarves from continuing to the next deity.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 08:17:59 pm »

Well that doesn't work in vanilla 42.03. Just leads to dwarves being distracted and only praying to one of their deities. Perhaps the modding you did to alcohol did have something to do with it after all. Perhaps distracted + thoughtless from alcohol prevents vanilla dwarves from continuing to the next deity.

It's worth doing some science on. It's also worth noting that due to some strangeness in my embark, I only had access to alcohol about 30% of the time. Things happened and a lot of food was lost. My dorfs mostly drank well water.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 10:49:46 am »

So poly-god dwarves are just so drunk they forget they have already prayed to that one god and should do the next one rather ... so they just keep praying to the first one all the time?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 11:35:09 am »

So poly-god dwarves are just so drunk they forget they have already prayed to that one god and should do the next one rather ... so they just keep praying to the first one all the time?
I have my doubts but that is the only thing I changed in my game that I think would impact Worship!I would do the necessary science if I had the time.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 05:47:23 am »

I Just found an unfocused dwarf with the need to pray to one god in red, another six gods are all in yellow.
Out of eight gods only one god isn't on that list and it is her least important god. A casual worshipper vs faithful and ardent for most of the rest.
She is also distracted by not talking to family, inspite of holding her baby and almost all her family (over 7 individuals) being in this fort.
In fact a lot of my dwarves are distracted by not talking to family. This may not just be a temple thing.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 08:05:47 pm »

Small update: from the list in the OP, step 4) is unnescessary (you do not need to (f)ree the rooms)

And, I've found a way to make unbugging the military easier: instead of waiting for them to go drink, eat or sleep, you can change some piece of their equipment in the military screen. This will immediatly snap cause them to go on a pickup equipment job, allowing you to lock the doors and make them snap out of it. (You do need to wait until they have picked up the equipment and found something else to do before unlocking the doors again)

ofcourse, all of this isn't nescessary anymore if you update to version 42.04

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 08:12:11 pm »

snip
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:32:33 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 08:14:46 pm »

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 09:00:07 pm »

Huh, and here I thought the solution was a long walk off a short magma pier.  They get to go directly to their gods! No fiddling with the middleman in the temples.