Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How To Generate Small Islands, A Guide  (Read 39036 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Generate Small Islands, A Guide
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 01:14:27 pm »

Has anyone tried this kind of thing with aquifers removed?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 01:30:51 pm »

I've been using your given parameters in my game, unmodded. It's completely different.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 04:53:09 pm »

Has anyone tried this kind of thing with aquifers removed?
This counts as a change in the raws and will completely change the lay of the land. You won't be able to use the examples in the OP and you'll have to generate and search for your own islands.

I've been using your given parameters in my game, unmodded. It's completely different.
I can't explain this. I even downloaded a fresh version of DF to generate those words. My own game is modded and so I didn't want to use it to generate the examples. What version are you running and what OS? I don't think the OS will matter but I heard that it did once. Would you mind zipping your raws and uploading them somewhere?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:12:05 am by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

igoreklim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf stories
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 03:35:05 pm »

When I try to open link with worldgen setting, I got message "This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"
Can anybody re-upload this settings to another account?
Dwarf stories - read, look and enjoy.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 03:29:08 am »

A bit late but I've updated the OP so that it doesn't link to Dropbox at all.

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 12:54:38 am »

Apologies for the necro-post, but island embarks are something of a favourite of mine.

Do these settings still work for 42.XX? If not, what do we need to do to make it work?

EDIT: Poking through the raw files, the only thing it seems to be missing from its list is the tag [GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1] that all the other world-gen presets seem to have. Will change this post further if my world-gen reveals decent results.

Behold, the Most Waters (a truly fitting name)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can confirm that this works for 42.XX then. Even if I have a weird land-bar on the right there that seems to be where ALL the civs live. Ought to be an interesting world.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 01:16:03 am by HiddenEyes056 »
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 02:59:24 am »

I was under the impression that dwarf migrants would still have access to your fortress despite an island embark. Is that true?

Also, now that the new version has arrived, has anyone tested whether visitors still arrive at island embarks?

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2015, 03:03:52 am »

I was under the impression that dwarf migrants would still have access to your fortress despite an island embark. Is that true?

Also, now that the new version has arrived, has anyone tested whether visitors still arrive at island embarks?
I have an island embark that I can confirm still gets migrants. They all seem to be the same as usual (not whisked-out-of-nowhere mystery migrants), so there's no difference.
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 09:31:48 pm »

Can confirm that this works for 42.XX then. Even if I have a weird land-bar on the right there that seems to be where ALL the civs live. Ought to be an interesting world.
Good to hear. The strip of land up the right is a deliberate attempt to avoid world generation problems that occur when the whole map is islands (quite extreme landscape if you think about it). Basically room for normal stuff to happen.

If your embark rectangle covers the whole island there is no land edges for land wildlife, migrants, traders, or invaders to spawn. If land extends beyond an edge of your embark then land wildlife, migrants, and dwarven traders will arrive there, but no other civs as they won't appear on the neighbours list. I even tried chaining embarks in lines from land out to my desired island in an attempt to connect it to civilisation without success (you can do this to bridge mountains and narrow waters). I haven't played a tiny island embark for many versions and don't know what has changed.

Edit: Tweaked the text and added two new images to the Embark Size section of the OP. I got a couple of messages from those confused by the previous text and image examples explaining this. Hopefully an improvement.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 10:29:41 pm by Vattic »
Pages: 1 [2]