Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 373

Author Topic: DFHack 0.34.11 r3  (Read 1400088 times)

walberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.34.05 r1
« Reply #1050 on: March 29, 2012, 01:46:42 pm »

I don't see that a 0.34.06 compatible release has been officially announced yet, so probably everything since 0.34.05-r1 is still considered unstable, but I wanted to report an apparent bug anyway...

On all commits since edf77c (Link protobuf to dfhack core as a shared library.), the Linux build seems to no longer work. It compiles fine, but running it simply gives "Memory fault" and dies. I did a Debug build, and the core file generated indicates the memory fault is here:

(snip)

Not so sure that helps a lot, but it gives someplace to start. This is on a 64-bit Debian 5.0.8 system with GCC 4.5.0, but is repeatable on Debian 6.0.4 (64-bit also with same version of compiler). I could try a different compiler version as well, but it'll take a while to cook one up...

Latest code (d2d16271f0) is working fine for me, built with GCC 4.5.3 on 64-bit Gentoo. Remember that you need to compile dfhack as a 32-bit app. Try:

Code: [Select]
cd dfhack/build
setarch i386 cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:string=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/df_linux
setarch i386 make install

It's not related to setarch (or gcc -m32 for that matter). I'm starting to think it's due to a library mismatch or something. I've tried gcc-4.5.0, gcc-4.5.3 and gcc-4.7.0 all with the same results. Running 'dfhack -g', I can get a little more info:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Part-way through the global constructor routine, it's attempting to make an indirect call (probably through a vtable or some such), but the base address in %edx is 0. Must be a missing NULL check somewhere.

Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way that I know of to correlate that global constructor code back to an actual source code line number... And due to the fact that pretty much that entire source file is generated by the build process anyway, the culprit isn't readily obvious.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 29, 2012, 01:57:42 pm »

I suggest you guys (desperately trying to build the linux version, mainly) just wait a short while longer. New release is imminent. Also it seems that the linux version needs to be built with gcc 4.4 by the way.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:02:20 pm by robertheinrich »

ag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 29, 2012, 02:34:01 pm »

Part-way through the global constructor routine, it's attempting to make an indirect call (probably through a vtable or some such), but the base address in %edx is 0. Must be a missing NULL check somewhere.

Just debugged that in the chat. It was me screwing up static initialization discipline - it was trying to access an object that was not guaranteed to be initialized yet ^^; Since this is undefined behavior, it apparently depended on something like the standard library version.

notfood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 29, 2012, 02:37:58 pm »

Works fine under Linux, I tested most tools.

DFHack 0.34.05-r1-232-g1f5c586
Archlinux
gcc-multilib 4.6.3-1

I had to remove the libs/libstdc++.so.6 from the df_linux folder for it to run properly, otherwise it complained about lack of Strings.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: DFHack 0.34.06 r3
« Reply #1054 on: March 29, 2012, 03:18:40 pm »

Alright, finally got this out of the gate :)

Check the first post for the news and download links. The new stonesense features alone are awesome, but there's a whole lot more of new stuff too.

Oh, and we have DFusion working on Windows again. The linux version actually runs, but some of the more involved things it does don't, so I haven't included it in the linux build yet.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 29, 2012, 03:31:27 pm »

Nice, well done!  /applaud /cheer

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 29, 2012, 03:59:26 pm »

in game version of vdig would be different, it would only auto-designate the surrounding tiles if in the same vein, not reveal the whole vein directly. it is no different from what happens today, only we have to do it manually after each new tile is revealed.

A problem with auto-digging veins is that it can happen that you expose your fortress to danger (by creating an unwanted hole which leads to the surface or maybe even magma/water). And you can also destroy existing rooms, engraved walls (if masterpieces that will make the engraver sad) and whatnot. So I guess Toady's version would have to take all this into consideration.

Yeah, just like the building code takes into account whether or not the dwarf will be trapped. Or the channeling code takes into account whether or not it will cause a cave in. Or the removing construction code...

I suspect your dwarves will blithely follow a vein until they open a hole to let a siege in or flood the fortress. Why should they suddenly start being any more intelligent?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 29, 2012, 04:39:28 pm »

Thanks a bunch for the update. I have a hard time playing without reveal and prospect to see if an embark spot is really worthwhile, and clean map is a lifesaver too.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 29, 2012, 04:42:10 pm »

Alright, finally got this out of the gate :)

Check the first post for the news and download links. The new stonesense features alone are awesome, but there's a whole lot more of new stuff too.

Oh, and we have DFusion working on Windows again. The linux version actually runs, but some of the more involved things it does don't, so I haven't included it in the linux build yet.

Hah, a few hours after I download one of the temp fixes for 34.06.  Well at least there's some good new stuff to play with too.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 29, 2012, 04:46:00 pm »

Yay, finally DFusion! I'm looking forward to changing my conglomerate to candy as well.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 29, 2012, 05:27:47 pm »

I've encountered what might be a bug with vdig. I used it to designate veins of several materials, including limonite, hematite, and lignite, but the autodesignation process appeared to get interrupted by the presence of small clusters of various gems next to the veins, even when the desired vein material was itself continuous. Using vdig on these interruptions designated the desired material on the interrupting spots themselves and also the gems that were part of the small cluster. It appears that the material generation process scattered the small clusters, then drew the veins on top of them, but where the veins intercepted small clusters the program still considers to be the overwritten small cluster material. This may be a problem with vdig or with DF itself.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 29, 2012, 05:54:47 pm »

Yay, finally DFusion! I'm looking forward to changing my conglomerate to candy as well.
you might want to add this code into dfusion's tools/init file because empregnate can't be use well in adventure mode as is.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 29, 2012, 06:00:31 pm »

I never got into DFusion... why is it so good?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1063 on: March 29, 2012, 06:07:46 pm »

I've encountered what might be a bug with vdig. I used it to designate veins of several materials, including limonite, hematite, and lignite, but the autodesignation process appeared to get interrupted by the presence of small clusters of various gems next to the veins, even when the desired vein material was itself continuous. Using vdig on these interruptions designated the desired material on the interrupting spots themselves and also the gems that were part of the small cluster. It appears that the material generation process scattered the small clusters, then drew the veins on top of them, but where the veins intercepted small clusters the program still considers to be the overwritten small cluster material. This may be a problem with vdig or with DF itself.

I have the same problem here.  Where veins of hematite crossed veins of tetrahedrite, vdig once diverted to the tetrahedrite and once did not.  It skipped occasional ore tiles even when they were of the correct type for the vein it was following.  It sometimes marked gems with the ore, and always marked any surrounding ore with gems.  When I tried to choose a small inclusion of turquoise for mining, it marked an entire surrounding area of kaolinite.  I never had crossing veins of ore with the previous versions of DFHack, but I know it could tell ore from gems before.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 29, 2012, 06:20:53 pm »

I've had crossing veins before, and I haven't used the newest DFHack but that's definitely a new bug.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 373