Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1522609 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11970 on: March 11, 2015, 09:49:16 am »

Bonus points if each soldier yells "SNEAK ATTACK!" every time they swing their giant axes/hammers.
Sneak attack with chain axes/swords. VROOM VROOM VROOM!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11971 on: March 11, 2015, 02:45:21 pm »

I thought 2h weapons don't get sneak attack bonuses because they're too heavy to wield in a manner that would swiftly silence the foe?

Nonetheless, it's freaking crazy damage you can get up to. Dad's managed 1500 on vanilla skyrim on his level 68 with 100 two-handed, without any damage stacking exploits.
Of course, backstabs from legendary daedric daggers with the 15x2x does ~2000+ and the 100 Sneak perk lets you essentially turn invisible when you go back into sneak mode.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11972 on: March 11, 2015, 03:03:38 pm »

Reminds me of the time I played an orc rogue. My 'stealth' weapon was a big fucking warhammer.
sneakysneakysneakysneakysneakysneakySMASHYSMASHYSMAAAAASHsneakitysneakysneaky

What was that Dark Brotherhood member? Something about how an two handed axe, everyone ending up dead, no witnesses.

It was an Orc in Oblivion.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11973 on: March 11, 2015, 05:57:47 pm »

Yes! I've done it!
I finally removed all the ENB files that I installed a while back and repaired missing files with Steam.

Now to just figure out why starting a game only makes the title/buttons go away and nothing else.

EDIT: I'll just plop the load order here in case anyone really enjoys diagnosing load orders.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDITDUOS:
You'll never believe what happened!
Using LOOT fixed it! How about that.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:08:48 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11974 on: March 11, 2015, 06:59:04 pm »

It's so short. T.T

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11975 on: March 11, 2015, 07:00:42 pm »

Yes I have a problem with it you don't have Wheels of Lull.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11976 on: March 13, 2015, 02:21:11 pm »

Replying to a post from the Gaming Pet Peeves thread...
Naw I am a huge fan of "generic" in almost everything and there are reasons they are used so much. Often the reason they have only one unique race is because by having these generic ones everyone is on the same page and they don't need to expound on everyone else.

The "bad" part is that they make the "generic" races incredibly boring... often just making a race entirely contained in "What they can do".

Skyrim is a big example of this because you could play the entire game and not even realize there are distinctions, socially, between the different races... There is in fact almost a boring amount of intermingling.

Eh...  My Skyrim experience was counter to that, I think they turned the racism up a lot (for the better).  In Oblivion, nobody cared or hardly commented on your race.  I only remember it being at all addressed in Bravil, a little, where there were more argonians or something.  And there was a slight disposition bonus/malus based on racial relations, but that was mechanical and almost imperceptible.

In Skyrim:
All Nords constantly shout "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!" in battle.  Even your hirelings.  Edit:  I'm pretty sure even Nords in the Imperial Legion.
Dunmer live in a ghetto called the "Grey Quarter" and are basically getting persecuted.  Not sure why most of the Dunmer are living in the Nord-Uber-Alles city, but whatever.
Altmer who aren't Thalmor are openly resented for everything the Thalmor do.  While the Thalmor themselves are racist against everyone, especially humans.
Bosmer...  Are there Bosmer in Skyrim??  I guess there's that one fletcher.  Edit:  And I think one of the mages.  Anyway, not enough of them to really tell if the Nords persecute them like Altmer and Dunmer.  Seems like no.
Khajit merchants *aren't allowed in the cities* because of their perception as thieves.  I mean there's truth to it, but still.  Riften being the exception because it's the city of crime.
Argonians:  The only ones I remember work as dockworkers, where they are given pitiful wages *for being Argonians*, or are criminals/live in Riften.
Imperials/Bretons:  I assume these are the white humans who aren't screaming about drinking or SKYRIM FOR DA NORDS all the time.  I think they're oddly exempt from the Nord racism, which is kinda weird...  Even the Stormcloaks seem to hate the Empire rather than Imperials.  Yet they blame all Altmer for the Thalmor machinations.
Redguard: There's that Redguard woman who's on the run from some Redguard men...  Other than that I don't remember seeing Redguard in Skyrim.
Orcs: I actually forgot about orcs and had to edit!  They seclude themselves in their forts rather than mingle, and a lot of NPCs describe them as stupid barbarians.  There's that book Grelog the Kind has, for example, basically explaining why they ought to be *exterminated*.

Note that I'm not saying there ought to be more foreigners in Skyrim - it makes sense that they're rare - just that the notable foreign populations (Argonians, Khajit, Dunmer, and Altmer) suffer some serious racial persecution.  Which is great characterization for Skyrim.  The Nord people in Skyrim are, with many exceptions, xenophobic for understandable reasons.  There's a lot of racial tension and it makes sense.  My reaction was to support the Empire instead of the radically xenophobic group, but I understand *why* there's a radically xenophobic group.

Also, on a side note, I was pleased to find out that you can be a dark-skinned Breton.  I don't know if that ever happens outside of character creation though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:31:02 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11977 on: March 13, 2015, 03:40:10 pm »

Dunmer live in a ghetto called the "Grey Quarter" and are basically getting persecuted.  Not sure why most of the Dunmer are living in the Nord-Uber-Alles city, but whatever.

I think it seems weird to us because we see Skyrim as being a ridiculously tiny country where moving out means packing 100 pounds of stuff then walking 10 minutes southwest... but everyone acts like this is a properly big region and traveling to another city would take days or weeks. Like, in the middle ages I think peasants would very rarely leave their home town...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11978 on: March 13, 2015, 03:42:27 pm »

Most of the Dunmer are living in Windhelm because it's the closest place to Morrowind after Lie Rock crashed into Vvardenfell, Red Mountain exploded and the Argonians invaded. Skyrim is, lore-wise, between the size of Germany and the size of Germany and France combined IIRC.

Imperials tend to be more olive in skin tone than Bretons this time around, so they're a bit easier to tell apart. Imperials seem exempt from Nord racism because Hjalti Early-Beard, the Breton emperor they worship as Talos, founded the previous empire. Heh.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11979 on: March 14, 2015, 12:34:11 pm »

Khajit, while not trusted, don't seem to be actually hated through Skyrim. Although, very few(one at the College) live there outside the caravans. The few others encountered outside of random bandits seem to be hunters for Hircine or a couple of assassins that show up in different quests, not really the types to be settled down.

Argonians do get very poor treatment in Windhelm, but on the other hand run multiple businesses in Riften without any sign of persecution and get along normally in the smaller settlements in other parts of Skyrim.

Dunmer do get treated somewhat poorly in Windhelm, although some(by no ways all) of that seems to be due to some of them basically squatting there. The Dunmer really aren't any better though as you will see if you visit Solstheim, or many handing out casual insults if you haven't befriended them.

The Orsimer generally don't get discriminated against save for some holding the "dumb Orc" stereotype though there are relatively few settled outside of the strongholds where they are generally pretty hostile to non-Orsimer.

Bretons only really discriminate/get discriminated against in the Reach, and that is more the Reachmen who are an offshoot of the Bretons.

Altmer tend to be arrogant and contemptuous to the other races, and many who hate the Thalmor tar them all with the same brush. Although a fair number of Altmer also despise the Thalmor.

Imperials don't tend to discriminate, although many hate the Thalmor for the result of the last war. Any tension seems to be more due to the civil war than any racial reason though.

The Bosmer don't seem to have any problems with anybody in general.

Similarly the Redguard, although relatively few in numbers don't tend to have a problem with most, although emnity to the Thalmor spills over to Altmer in some cases.

The Nords generally seem to get racial hatred in those places where they are hating other races(primarily Windhelm and the Reach), along with hatred by and for the Thalmor. Otherwise they generally don't seem to have a problem with most races.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11980 on: March 14, 2015, 01:54:45 pm »

The Bosmer don't need to hate anyone, they're walking gods of stealth archery and they know it  :P
That's my explanation for why they all seem so chill in Skyrim and Oblivion.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11981 on: March 14, 2015, 01:58:51 pm »

It's odd though as they are supposed to be part of the Aldemeri Dominion, and so should get at least somewhat tarred by association with the Thalmor as the Altmer do, but absolutely no one seems to treat them as such.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11983 on: March 14, 2015, 02:55:02 pm »

That's just too fucking good.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11984 on: March 14, 2015, 03:43:56 pm »

Made a little mistake while trying to enable non-workshop mod installation that turned into a big mistake and, long story short, I have re-installed steam.
Now I have to figure out how to install someone's library without having any of their games on my computer, if possible.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 896