Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1521253 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #13275 on: August 30, 2017, 04:53:47 am »

The sheer amount of greed and ignorance from Bethesda/Zenimax is appalling.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13276 on: August 30, 2017, 10:10:08 am »

As long as they don't try to touch skyrim again, I'll be fine (mostly because even this new laptop can't run fallout 4)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13277 on: August 30, 2017, 11:38:23 pm »

This is fucked.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13278 on: September 01, 2017, 09:13:40 pm »

At least existing mods stay unpaid, I guess? It'd be much worse if they shut down all existing mods and moved them into the CC (that said they did try to do that on Steam but backlash and stuff iirc)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13279 on: September 02, 2017, 12:57:18 am »

Already posted about the CC in another thread, but I'll repost here:

Paid Mods/10

Edit: Wow, at the time of this post, Creation Club has just gone live. And it is an utter clusterfort.

1. It forces you to download EVERY MOD that exists in the creation club, all 2.1gb.
2. Those files are unencrypted, but missing the plugin files. So someone could just create a plugin to use those assets.
3. Someone already has.
4. Utterly destroys your load order by forcing plugin files to be loaded alphabetically. This cannot be undone without rolling back.
5. Reports are surfacing that paid mods do not work with free mods, such as the pip-boy skins mod not working with completely unrelated mods.
6. One of the files is literally named "Horse Armor" way to rub salt in the wound Zennymax.

The more I look into it, the more I see that the Creation Club was destined to fail from the beginning.

The "download the entire creation club mod list" thing was due to the 900MB limit per game for non-essential files on the PS4, by forcing everyone to download the game as an "update" for the main game was to get around this. But there was literally no reason to do so for PC and Xbox users (Xbox has a 2GB limit, which is fairly adequate).

The absolute limit for records per mod in the Creation Club is 4096. That may sound like a lot, but considering every sound, object, item, event trigger, leveled list, dialogue, etc takes up a record, you'd have trouble fitting all but the most basic of mods, especially if you plan to add a quest.

With that kind of restriction I can't really see CC as anything more than a tool to peddle all those nickle-and-dime mods that add an "EPIC ARMOR" and such.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13280 on: September 02, 2017, 01:01:45 am »

I'm kinda believing the tinfoil hat theories where people are saying that the devs are intentionally sinking this boat just to shut the bosses up about it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13281 on: September 02, 2017, 01:46:35 am »

I usually apply Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13282 on: September 02, 2017, 01:50:16 am »

I usually apply Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
Indeed. That could very likely be the case as well. Bethesda does like to be imbecillic.

Either way I hope this goes the way of the Steam paid mods.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13283 on: September 02, 2017, 10:58:25 am »

I mean I've certainly lost interest in future games that have the CC as a "feature"
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13284 on: September 02, 2017, 01:03:56 pm »

Just don't confuse the creation club (CC) with the creation KIT (ck) as that's the tool that they made skyrim with, and then let people make mods with, back when Bethesda liked seeing the community grow and expand and not try to steal mods

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13285 on: September 04, 2017, 03:31:18 pm »

I mean I've certainly lost interest in future games that have the CC as a "feature"

I've actually just lost interest in Bethesda games in general.  I mean, they just turned their games into bloatware for fuck's sake.  Sure, the current size of the mods autodownloaded is small, but the amount of mods there are small.  What if there were 10 times as many?  100 times?  Can easily go to a 60 GB download for the Creation Club.  Then there's the fact that Bethesda seemingly keeps compatibility of their mods by updating the .exe, which if done fast enough would basically nuke the Script Extender's ability to be updated...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13286 on: September 06, 2017, 02:21:34 pm »

I've actually just lost interest in Bethesda games in general.  I mean, they just turned their games into bloatware for fuck's sake.  Sure, the current size of the mods autodownloaded is small, but the amount of mods there are small.  What if there were 10 times as many?  100 times?  Can easily go to a 60 GB download for the Creation Club.  Then there's the fact that Bethesda seemingly keeps compatibility of their mods by updating the .exe, which if done fast enough would basically nuke the Script Extender's ability to be updated...

Oops, we accidentally broke all your mods. By coincidence here's something you can give us money for to make it better. Unavoidable, sorry.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13287 on: September 06, 2017, 04:46:24 pm »

On the plus side, at least they're not making shitty pay-to-win mobile games instead.

Oh wait.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13288 on: September 06, 2017, 04:52:20 pm »

i actually enjoyed fallout shelter

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile