Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1521542 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #13335 on: June 11, 2018, 12:34:10 pm »

Whatever kids you all missed the greatest thing to come out of Bethesda since they invented the Nintendo Genesis

https://amzn.to/2JEXN8H
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13336 on: June 11, 2018, 01:24:00 pm »

How about the fact that its a main title and not a spinoff? I know this post is probably because you're salty after hoping for a single player Fallout game, but there wasn't anything to indicate that Fallout 76 was the next entry in the franchise, or that there would be NPCs in a game 25 years after earth suffered a freaking nuclear apocalypse. I'm sure Bethesda will make a Fallout 5, after their new single-player game and ESVI.

As I posted in the Fallout 76 thread - I can't imagine they'll step away from multiplayer if it becomes a success. It'll just make too much money for them - ES6 might be safe, because I imagine it's quite far into development and they'll be banking on the terrible creation club for it. I'd bet cold hard cash that everything after ES6 is multiplayer.

As others have said, I think they mostly did it to stop people getting pissed off at the Fallout reveal - they're self aware enough to know that people like them for their single-player experiences, so they'd have upset a lot of people without that potential there. That being said, they've not told us anything we didn't know - we knew they weren't going to abandon the elder scrolls series and all they've shown is a few mountains - it could be 5 years away easy.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13337 on: June 11, 2018, 01:55:40 pm »

As I posted in the Fallout 76 thread - I can't imagine they'll step away from multiplayer if it becomes a success. It'll just make too much money for them - ES6 might be safe, because I imagine it's quite far into development and they'll be banking on the terrible creation club for it. I'd bet cold hard cash that everything after ES6 is multiplayer.
And I'll happily take that bet. Fallout 76 will need to sell a lot of copies and whatever other transactions Bethesda offers with it to top Skyrim money.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13338 on: June 11, 2018, 02:00:46 pm »

MTX and loot crates, I betcha.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13339 on: June 11, 2018, 03:13:04 pm »

And I'll happily take that bet. Fallout 76 will need to sell a lot of copies and whatever other transactions Bethesda offers with it to top Skyrim money.
Not only that, but they also announced another single player RPG at E3, Starfield.

Also Todd Howard claims that Fallout 76 will have mods, though not immediately.

I think Bethesda will keep trying (and failing) to monetize mods.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13340 on: June 11, 2018, 03:15:03 pm »

If Bethesda announced that they were stopping for reals with the mod monetization I'd buy their next three games.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13341 on: June 11, 2018, 03:22:56 pm »

I mean, free mods are tops, but I am half of the mind that this is the end of an era. With all the resources that Bethesda can bring to bear, it feels like Constantinople under siege from the Ottomans. Anything and everything that is popular risks monetization these days :/
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13342 on: June 11, 2018, 03:25:50 pm »

Yeah but in this case I can just not buy their stuff, even if E3 tells me to.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13343 on: June 11, 2018, 03:39:13 pm »

Not only that, but they also announced another single player RPG at E3, Starfield.

Fallout 76 is going to be online only.

Unless they have private servers, mods will have to go through them. You know what that means.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13344 on: June 11, 2018, 03:45:46 pm »

This only makes sense if there was another studio that was producing the same sort of games which could put them at risk. They're the only shop in town for this kinda game, and no one can even attempt to get close.

As such, they have no risk to just plough ahead with monetization, and as long as it doesn't flop it'll be fine. People can say 'I don't like this enforced multiplayer' and they can say 'well if you want to play an ES or FO game that's what you're getting' and that's the end of the story.

The end game of this is also that they can make it so only 'approved mods' (see creators club) are allowed 'because it's online' and then we're in the situation of paying for all mods again.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13345 on: June 11, 2018, 04:01:47 pm »

Or you can just keep modding skyrim, as you've been doing for years. Or go back to daggerfall. Or play a good fallout game not made by beth~
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13346 on: June 11, 2018, 04:49:46 pm »

Or play a good fallout game
1, 2, 3, New Vegas, 4...?

not made by beth~
1, 2, or New Vegas it is.
Black lives matter.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13347 on: June 11, 2018, 04:53:01 pm »

Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13348 on: June 11, 2018, 05:00:46 pm »

Which is not to be confused with
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13349 on: June 11, 2018, 05:09:47 pm »

Fallout 76 is going to be online only.

Unless they have private servers, mods will have to go through them. You know what that means.

They do have private servers, as AFAIK the interview the linked article sources from states.

Also, ooh, can we do paid mods debate again? That's always good fun. Paid mods are good, though from what I've gathered creation club is a joke on all counts (not just content-wise but how creators are paid). That's my current opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 896