Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1520828 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #13350 on: June 11, 2018, 05:17:58 pm »

I dislike paid mods because I don't have the money to pay for mods

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13351 on: June 11, 2018, 05:29:03 pm »

I have an objection to paid mods, but I understand how people can find positive aspects of it. Simple as that.

I mean, I just don't buy things if I have an objection. Like, I just go find something else to play entirely. Nothing says I need to play it, or own it, or buy it. The only open-world genre Bethesda doesn't have have competition for is open-world games made by Bethesda. I don't know why people say they hate something with a passion but then act like they are compelled to purchase it.

Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild both show that there are other options for open-world funtime.

Also, they said that there would be a single player option for Vault 76 during E3 if I recall. That could either mean that this is a co-op kind of deal in the same way that Divinity 2 is fully enjoyable in single player, or that it's geared heavily towards online teamwork and you could technically go single player only if you are some kind of weathered hermit and want to miss out on game features.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13352 on: June 11, 2018, 05:33:05 pm »

And I'll happily take that bet. Fallout 76 will need to sell a lot of copies and whatever other transactions Bethesda offers with it to top Skyrim money.

This only makes sense if there was another studio that was producing the same sort of games which could put them at risk. They're the only shop in town for this kinda game, and no one can even attempt to get close.

As such, they have no risk to just plough ahead with monetization, and as long as it doesn't flop it'll be fine. People can say 'I don't like this enforced multiplayer' and they can say 'well if you want to play an ES or FO game that's what you're getting' and that's the end of the story.
Skyrim has made over a billion dollars for Bethesda (and that's before the Special Editions). Elder Scrolls Online's launch was super rocky. There are people who will blindly buy a game with Elder Scrolls in the title because of brand loyalty. There are also people who will refuse to because of multiplayer, like a lot of people who bought Skyrim and not ESO. Unless Fallout 76 does as well as Skyrim or Fallout 4, which I'm pretty confident it won't, they're going to stick to single-player main titles, and multiplayer spinoffs, because its working for them and is making them billions of dollars.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:46:51 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13353 on: June 11, 2018, 06:39:49 pm »

I guess 76 will be an important experimental title for them, then.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #13354 on: June 11, 2018, 07:23:05 pm »

Ah, the scientific method. Stick a bunch of microtransactions in, measure how pissed people get, repeat.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13355 on: June 11, 2018, 07:24:45 pm »

And I'll happily take that bet. Fallout 76 will need to sell a lot of copies and whatever other transactions Bethesda offers with it to top Skyrim money.

This only makes sense if there was another studio that was producing the same sort of games which could put them at risk. They're the only shop in town for this kinda game, and no one can even attempt to get close.

As such, they have no risk to just plough ahead with monetization, and as long as it doesn't flop it'll be fine. People can say 'I don't like this enforced multiplayer' and they can say 'well if you want to play an ES or FO game that's what you're getting' and that's the end of the story.
Skyrim has made over a billion dollars for Bethesda (and that's before the Special Editions). Elder Scrolls Online's launch was super rocky. There are people who will blindly buy a game with Elder Scrolls in the title because of brand loyalty. There are also people who will refuse to because of multiplayer, like a lot of people who bought Skyrim and not ESO. Unless Fallout 76 does as well as Skyrim or Fallout 4, which I'm pretty confident it won't, they're going to stick to single-player main titles, and multiplayer spinoffs, because its working for them and is making them billions of dollars.
To be fair, ESO wasn't actually developed by Bethesda: it was ZeniMax Online Studios, which was more or less explicitly founded for the purpose by Bethesda's parent company, ZeniMax Media.  By contrast, Fallout 76 is being directly developed by Bethesda Game Studios.  How 76 goes will suggest quite a bit about how well Bethesda proper can handle multiplayer.

Of course, I don't expect it to do well, either.  But it is a bit of a litmus in that regard.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13356 on: June 11, 2018, 07:39:20 pm »

They do have private servers, as AFAIK the interview the linked article sources from states.

Also, ooh, can we do paid mods debate again? That's always good fun. Paid mods are good, though from what I've gathered creation club is a joke on all counts (not just content-wise but how creators are paid). That's my current opinion.
Lol... "post launch".

Todd Howard promises, baby. Worth their weight in gold.

Anyway, why is this discussion in this thread instead of the Fallout 76 one? Like, I know it's hypocritical of me since I partially caused it but still...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #13357 on: June 11, 2018, 07:47:04 pm »

Because we're panicking about what 76 means for the future of them scrolls, remember? ;P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13358 on: June 11, 2018, 07:47:48 pm »

Because we're panicking about what 76 means for the future of them scrolls, remember? ;P
Oh right, carry on then.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13359 on: June 11, 2018, 08:09:29 pm »

Oh right, carry on then.
Roger that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13360 on: June 11, 2018, 08:10:45 pm »

To be fair, ESO wasn't actually developed by Bethesda: it was ZeniMax Online Studios, which was more or less explicitly founded for the purpose by Bethesda's parent company, ZeniMax Media.

I mean ZeniMax Media was founded by Bethesda. So there's not really any reason to differentiate between the two.
Love, scriver~

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13361 on: June 11, 2018, 08:45:23 pm »

To be fair, ESO wasn't actually developed by Bethesda: it was ZeniMax Online Studios, which was more or less explicitly founded for the purpose by Bethesda's parent company, ZeniMax Media.

I mean ZeniMax Media was founded by Bethesda. So there's not really any reason to differentiate between the two.
Ah, so it was. For some reason I thought it bought Bethesda.  Still, it's more of a question of available expertise in each studio, unless there is a lot of cross-migration between the two studios.  That's a question I don't actually know, though; I wouldn't think there's a lot, else they'd be the same studio, but I could easily be wrong on that.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #13362 on: June 11, 2018, 08:47:25 pm »

I just hope they don't do that visual design thing they did in ESO, where everything that used to be colorful is now made of the same blocks of the same kind of dark grey stone, such that everything looks like Windhelm.

Colorful plaster-looking structures of Dunmer architecture? Hello dark grey stone blocks.

Remember in Oblivion that lady talking about the Summerset Isles with golden towers and green butterfly-pattern glass accents? Well, here's your Windhelm-stone gothic castle.

Wow, I wonder what kind of weird look the ruins in the ancient swamps of Argonia will- Oh, like Windhelm.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13363 on: June 11, 2018, 08:48:26 pm »

So that Six, am I right? Looks like a neat new landscape.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #13364 on: June 11, 2018, 08:58:28 pm »

Hearing a lot of talk of High Rock. Think it'll be set before Skyrim?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 896