Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1505498 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4845 on: February 01, 2012, 03:04:50 am »

WELL!!!
I can say this... FUKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!
Having the combination of War in Skyrim and Unlevelled World makes for a very very very very very very hard play. I am playing my Set Build of a Breton Mage and am finding it near impossible to kill anything without abusing the AI a good bit, Bandits seem to have a TON OF HEALTH and archer bandits can one shot me with their Dwarven Bows and Elven arrows. Trolls (NOT FROST TROLLS) Regenerate faster the base Flame Spell's damage deals to them and Firebolt drains too much mana to be useful enough to take one down...
On the way to Riverwood after the start we saw a Hag on the otherside of the River, we were able to take her down quite easily with our magic and felt good. Then when traveling back to Helgen to collect all the stuff back there I heard something getting slaughtered. I look over an edge and there is a Troll getting hammered by a Werewolf. I bug out as soon as I can and run into 4 more!!! Not including Bandits who one hit me and have a fuckton of health...
F5 and F9 are my new friends...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: February 01, 2012, 04:43:24 am »

I mean snow actually being something that collects during snow storms, can be anywhere according to the weather, etc. Search "Skyrim dynamic snow" on google and you will see a bunch of old reports of it being in skyrim.
Well... its not. And I really don't see any reason for it to be, honestly. It would be pretty and all but what, are we going to have to shovel snow off our lawn after 100+ hours of play? Why would you waste that many processing resources on a feature with little to no game impact?

Now if they had a survival system in the game which tracked temperature and snowfall and you had to worry about being caught in blizzards that would be different.
My point isnt that I'm disappointed its in the game, just that I am disappointed that I can add another thing thing to the heap of features bethesda likes to put out there just to generate some interest rather then actually put in the game.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: February 01, 2012, 08:23:15 am »

...weren't we promised something like dynamic snow and stuff? Is that actually in the game?

I thiiink it's in the game, just quite rudimentary. It's a white texture overlay whenever it's snowing. It does get 'whiter' when it's snowing, but it's definitely no 3d-snow. I noticed it because it looks sooo ugly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4848 on: February 01, 2012, 08:50:21 am »

I'm fairly sure what you see there was done manually when they were building the area, or via a script which covers areas open to the sky with 'snow'. Dynamic snow would make such things happen during the course of the game, and would make the snow melt away when exposed to sunlight for example.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: February 01, 2012, 09:16:00 am »

Thats not snow. Its someone doing a half arsed paint job...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: February 01, 2012, 10:44:14 am »

I could do that texture in MS Paint :P

I don't remember anything about dynamic snow but I guess they said something about how weather is going to work. Eh, it's Bethesda. They made a lot of promises they didn't keep in the past.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: February 01, 2012, 10:48:09 am »

Thats not snow. Its someone doing a half arsed paint job...
It's a light dusting. Looks alright in the second example, I suspect graphics settings messed with the first one because it does the same thing to spider web textures I know are not that funky.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: February 01, 2012, 11:38:48 am »

I don't think a light dusting should follow the pattern of the wood so closely. It looks like a layer of paint.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4853 on: February 01, 2012, 11:41:03 am »

I commented on it a long time ago.
I can't melt snow with flame magic.
A piece of me died when i realized avalanches weren't possible.
I hope for modders to put it in.
Go go modding community. Come on bethesda, give them the CK pack and let them make a better game than you'll ever do.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: February 01, 2012, 11:44:15 am »

Light dusting on rough wood can show the grain pretty well. On straight up flat planks yeah, that would be paint. Considering the time period the cut of planks would be rough enough for the grain to have geometry.

It looks fine to me guys.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: February 01, 2012, 11:46:13 am »

Light dusting looks like this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In Skyrim, it's like wood is painted white.

I commented on it a long time ago.
I can't melt snow with flame magic.
A piece of me died when i realized avalanches weren't possible.
I hope for modders to put it in.
Go go modding community. Come on bethesda, give them the CK pack and let them make a better game than you'll ever do.

Actually, I think some players ask too much. This is the fault of Bethesda's overhyping policy. I heard the "you can actually start fire with flame magic" thing. Yeah, you can start a fire which disappears in 5 seconds even if you do it on a tree. It's not like I want to start a wildfire but I think Bethesda shouldn't make promises that they can't keep.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: February 01, 2012, 11:46:49 am »

I like the little smudge on the step of picture 2; I think less uniform snow like that all over would of done wonders to keep the illusion of snow going a little longer.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: February 01, 2012, 02:35:39 pm »

The modding tools have arrived.

FIX ALL MY PROBLEMS PEOPLES OF THE INTERNETS
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: February 01, 2012, 02:44:44 pm »

When? :o

I only found a preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=udM4VvSL2VA

BTW, IT LOOKS EPIC. There is a new programming language called Pyrus. I didn't understand anything from dialogue editor. It's totally different from Oblivion's Construction Kit.

New Scripting language, called Papyrus. Similarities to Ruby and Python.
Scripts can be applied to references.
Totally overhauled Dialogue Editor. (Unrecognisable!)
Grass and water is viewable in the editor.
Archives can be created in the kit itself.
Mods can be uploaded directly to Steam Workshop (1GB file size limit) - but can also be saved, and uploaded to other sites, like the Nexus.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:50:23 pm by Leatra »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: February 01, 2012, 03:22:08 pm »

1GB size limit for a single mod, or for all mods together? Not that I'd be doing anything fancy with textures or similarly large files, but it's something that's good to wonder at.

I'm still amazed at how complex some of these mods have gotten without even having access to the official creation kit. I'm just too lazy to do anything that's likely to get broken with the next patch anyway.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 896