Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1505215 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4905 on: February 05, 2012, 11:04:07 am »

I agree, it was funny dealing with Brynjolf constantly telling me "Sorry, lad, I have more important things to do. We can talk later." Especially when he would follow me out of the building to say so, or

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's also odd when Whiterun guards follow me inside my house to say "Let me guess: Somebody stole your sweetroll!"

But I was referring to the anomaly where you walk into the city and walk out with a bunch of quests, not the bug where people follow you around to tell you how useless you are.

You're exaggerating a bit with the "50 feet" statement, I think. I'm playing unpatched, and I need to come within at least five feet to get people to talk at me.

A lot is being said about how the minor dungeon crawl quests are less immersive. They are radiant quests. You are sent to any one of three dozen dungeons to collect a minor item (such as a sentimental sword or helmet). That's why they don't tell you anything about the location.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: February 05, 2012, 11:07:29 am »

I know about the radiant quests. I am referring to the other, non-radiant sidequests that send you somewhere with the bare minimum of direction. Like that Mages Guild/College of Winterhold quest involving a Dwemer ruin called Mzulft.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: February 05, 2012, 11:12:58 am »

You're exaggerating a bit with the "50 feet" statement, I think. I'm playing unpatched, and I need to come within at least five feet to get people to talk at me.
Yeah, but I'm of the opinion that you should have to stand beside a person for a few seconds before they start their random barks, having about 12 barks playing at once because I was in a hurry and ran through the town is very annoying
*Hugs*

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4908 on: February 05, 2012, 11:15:23 am »

Yeah, but I'm of the opinion that you should have to stand beside a person for a few seconds before they start their random barks, having about 12 barks playing at once because I was in a hurry and ran through the town is very annoying
Mining is the worst for this. "I'm too busy to talk. I'm too busy to talk. I'm too busy to talk" Then piss off and stop talking to me!

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: February 05, 2012, 11:28:27 am »

They added quest marks since Oblivion and in my opinion they've done so in order to shorten the dialogue that needs to be recorded. Also, if the area you were supposed to go to in Morrowind was not discovered already it would show up in your map, so you would know where to go anyway.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: February 05, 2012, 11:34:13 am »

For cities and landmarks, yeah. And that makes sense. Random caves? Not so much.
Love, scriver~

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: February 05, 2012, 12:13:48 pm »

"You're like me huh? Don't fancy those clunky two handed weapons."

Said by a guard wearing a battleaxe on his back.
*Hugs*

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: February 05, 2012, 12:18:40 pm »

I've played a few games where you had to actually find location on your lonesome; I didnt like it. I think its convenient that Skyrim (and Oblivion) points out where to go; being lost is 10,000x more aggravating then lost immersion. I don't play Skyrim to play in a real, believable world. If I wanted to feel the joy of finding something manually, I would go outside and look for something. It just doesn't add anything to the game for me.

Besides, Skyrim would still be hellishly un-immersive even with said feature; it's like sprinking sugar on a rock to make it taste better.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: February 05, 2012, 12:21:17 pm »

Yeah, I'm in agreement that the compass markers are generally good. But there are some annoying ones, like when the marker points you towards the exact dusty corner of the ruin the item you're searching for is.

Showing me where the cave is is fine, but I'd rather the marker just disappeared once you got inside.
*Hugs*

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: February 05, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »

The complaint that people start arguing and events start happening en masse when you enter a new area seems weak, considering that is what has been happening in Fantasy literature for about a century.
Yeah but sometimes events has to happen while you are not there or while you are visiting the city for a second time. When you enter a city for the first time, everything feels so fake. Because after everything happens, the whole city goes quiet again and people never argue again. A failed and shallow attempt at making quests more immersive.

Also, if the area you were supposed to go to in Morrowind was not discovered already it would show up in your map, so you would know where to go anyway.
Since when? :D

Only settlements and a few special waypoints are showed on the map. You can't find any caves or anything like that in the map. And most quests send you into dungeons. Even if you do a quest that sends you into a city (quests in Thieves Guild, for example) you still need directions because cities are larger than in Skyrim.

Sometimes it's boring to find things on your own but showing the exact location for everything is worse.

Dumbing down is never the solution Just watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W1ZtBCpo0eU#at=73

PokemonRocks85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: February 05, 2012, 12:32:08 pm »

I wish there is mounted combat on horses (mods are usefull)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: February 05, 2012, 03:39:04 pm »

Only settlements and a few special waypoints are showed on the map. You can't find any caves or anything like that in the map. And most quests send you into dungeons. Even if you do a quest that sends you into a city (quests in Thieves Guild, for example) you still need directions because cities are larger than in Skyrim.

Sometimes it's boring to find things on your own but showing the exact location for everything is worse.

Dumbing down is never the solution Just watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W1ZtBCpo0eU#at=73

I found the tribes of ashlanders, most of the cities that were required by quests that way, and I am saying most. Not all, but once I found out that you discover your quest targets, I stopped getting bothered by reading the journal all over again, and other quests didn't require that much of buggering anyway.

Games get simplified and that's the way it will be, I don't like that, but there's nothing we could change, the market is opening up for new people and they intend to keep them. My first hour in Morrowind was boring because I had to search search and search, and if i wasn't persistent i would've missed the gem it was, but most people would quit after 5 minutes of such a game, since they don't have the time to bother.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:42:32 pm by Domenique »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: February 05, 2012, 03:55:00 pm »

A failed and shallow attempt at making quests more immersive.
As opposed to a successful and shallow attempt at making quests immersive in Morrowind?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: February 05, 2012, 04:01:22 pm »

Games get simplified and that's the way it will be, I don't like that, but there's nothing we could change, the market is opening up for new people and they intend to keep them. My first hour in Morrowind was boring because I had to search search and search, and if i wasn't persistent i would've missed the gem it was, but most people would quit after 5 minutes of such a game, since they don't have the time to bother.

Agreed. Most gamers have the CoD mentality now and there is nothing we can do about it because WE are the gamers. If people are buying it, they will keep following that road.

A failed and shallow attempt at making quests more immersive.
As opposed to a successful and shallow attempt at making quests immersive in Morrowind?
There was no attempt at making quests immersive in Morrowind.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: February 05, 2012, 11:07:22 pm »

So is this like a sequel to minecraft or something? I saw that mojang had soemthing to do with it, so....

I've actually had Skyrim since december, but I kind of go between it and Dues Ex (which should've been released outside of the MW:3 and Skyrim release season), and I'm almost done with the college of winterhold. And suggestions as to what to do afterwards? I still have to climb that stupid mountain for the Jarl, and pick between stormcloak and the Empire.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 896