Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1520909 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #7455 on: November 08, 2012, 09:51:25 pm »

Yeah, they don't let you in till lvl 50 or something. I'm talking about aesthetics here, though.

Say, one of those shots looked like inside the crater of Red Mountain. Do we get to go inside the Ghostfence? If so, seeing as at this point in history Dagoth Ur and his cousins would be sound asleep, do we get to go into his dwemer base and teabag him? :D
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: November 09, 2012, 12:28:46 am »

Looks like it will play more like DCUO, instead of button bar for actions.

I like how most of the areas they show are in Morrowind or Skyrim, though Hammerfell is looking good. Hopefully they'll make Cyrodil more roman or unique somehow, and not so much generic English countryside.

Looking at the UESP wiki on the Elder Scrolls lore, Cyrodiil is actually supposed to be tropical at this time, as this was before Tiber Septim came along with the Empire and supposedly changed it to the temperate climate we know of.
Though I guess the storyline for ESO is supposed to be more or less disconnected from everything else anyway, so I guess it's a moot point. :P

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: November 09, 2012, 12:31:40 am »

Will the MMO be canon? that really the only thing I care about
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: November 09, 2012, 06:31:32 am »

It looks terrible, to be honest. Maybe I've outgrown MMO's except in short stints, but the combat and animations, after playing Guild Wars 2 and Skyrim (obviously), just looks very "stand still and duke it out until someones numbers go down" a la World of Warcraft. Not fluid at all, with no appearance of anything more than button mashing on the part of the players.

Then again, it's an intro video, so there may be more to it in the long run, and it seems to be taking a lot of inspiration from Guild Wars 2, which is a good thing overall. Along with no viewable interface, it makes it hard to judge what the future holds for this potentially bastard child of an MMO.

Will the MMO be canon? that really the only thing I care about

Something about the factions alone doesn't strike me as canon at all, with handwaved stories of why the three teams of three races each are ganging up together. Nord/Dunmer/Argonian, Altmer/Bosmer/Khajit, and Breton/Redguard/Orc just makes only a marginal amount of sense based on their regions, but not any sense at all with what has been presented in the previous games.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: November 09, 2012, 06:49:46 am »

Looks like it will play more like DCUO, instead of button bar for actions.

I like how most of the areas they show are in Morrowind or Skyrim, though Hammerfell is looking good. Hopefully they'll make Cyrodil more roman or unique somehow, and not so much generic English countryside.

Cyrodiil, last I checked, is a war-torn PVP area ala I-don't-play-many-MMOs-so-I-don't-know. Factions can take over towns, etc.

They specifically mentioned that it would have the same feel as oblivion.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: November 09, 2012, 06:52:58 am »

Something about the factions alone doesn't strike me as canon at all, with handwaved stories of why the three teams of three races each are ganging up together. Nord/Dunmer/Argonian, Altmer/Bosmer/Khajit, and Breton/Redguard/Orc just makes only a marginal amount of sense based on their regions, but not any sense at all with what has been presented in the previous games.
Dunmer and argonians? No problems there. Nope. Not at all. Wait... Redguards and Orcs? Didn't they already have a huge war when the redguards first arrived in tamriel?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: November 09, 2012, 06:59:13 am »

Dunmer and argonians? No problems there. Nope. Not at all. Wait... Redguards and Orcs? Didn't they already have a huge war when the redguards first arrived in tamriel?

Nord who hate elves then Dunmer and Argonians who the Dunmer enslave well that faction has some problems. well maybe all the Argonians you play as are slaves
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7462 on: November 09, 2012, 07:05:14 am »

The only races that really make sense as part of the same faction are the Altmer/Bosmer forming the Aldmeri Dominion. Dummer/Argonian could work with the Argonians as slaves I suppose, but none of the other races make sense in those groupings, particularly at this time period.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: November 09, 2012, 10:18:48 am »

Nord who hate elves then Dunmer and Argonians who the Dunmer enslave well that faction has some problems. well maybe all the Argonians you play as are slaves
Until the Apocryphal Arnesian War...

FOR THE HIST! FOR THE SAXHLEEL! (In Jel, of course)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: November 09, 2012, 10:20:25 am »

I can understand Nord + Dunmer.  They've done it before to take down the Kamal when they tried to invade.  The argonians have never once been on friendly terms with the Dunmer though.  Mainly because the Dunmer constantly enslave them, encroach into Black Marsh, and cut down hist trees.(Personally Orc + Nord + Dunmer makes much more sense but then the argonians would be left in the lurch)
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: November 09, 2012, 10:23:59 am »

I would imagine the factions aren't absolute in terms of racial.composition.  unless you were doing a continuation of the war with a third neutral party.

I find this idea of absolutes to WoWy and a return to racism, moreso than what was in Morrowind.  But that racism played well, this sounds like clanism for tge hell of it.

the argonians own half of vaanderfall, and nords are independent?  boom alliance.

the bretons, half of redguards, and imerials are still imperial.

the kats and high wood elves are the altmeri dominion... and they hold pieces of redguard land.

I would very much like to see this war unfurl.  I want to kill those elven nancies (with my nancy Breton).
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: November 09, 2012, 10:27:37 am »

Yeah, they don't let you in till lvl 50 or something. I'm talking about aesthetics here, though.

Didn't they say they wanted players to get a feel for PvP from early on?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: November 09, 2012, 10:31:08 am »

the argonians own half of vaanderfall, and nords are independent?  boom alliance.

the bretons, half of redguards, and imerials are still imperial.

the kats and high wood elves are the altmeri dominion... and they hold pieces of redguard land.

I would very much like to see this war unfurl.  I want to kill those elven nancies (with my nancy Breton).
That's... ~2000 years in the future. In the Fourth Era. ESO takes place in the middle of the Second Era, AKA the Common Era. Unless you meant that that's the war you'd prefer to see instead of the one in ESO?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:24 am »

ahh my apologies, I assumed chronological order.  Should have known.

Well my Breton nancy shall still thirst for elf blood.  and I must now go off to refresh myself to the history of the second era.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7469 on: November 09, 2012, 10:49:49 am »

Want to buy time travelling mod which lets you visit various periods in elder scrolls history.
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 896