Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1505212 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 09:18:14 am »

Of course, it was demo'd on the 360 instead of the PC, since it was supposedly easier to do a demonstration with a controller than a mouse and keyboard. Of course, you could use a controller with a PC, but I suppose they might as well show the 360 version anyways so 360 users don't get all upset if they're shown a version that runs and looks better than what they get.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 09:24:08 am »

Yeah, entering each house brings up a loading screen. I'd really prefer a long initial loading than constant interruptions in my game. Like how they do it in SPAZ.
A clear case of consolitis I'd say. Considering all the complaints from major developers about current gen console hardware vs PC hardware I'm hoping the console manufacturers listen and that the next gen will be far more beefy.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 09:46:41 am »

The more powerful it is, the more it costs them to make, and the more money they lose selling each console unit until they reach the point where the components become cheap enough that they can start selling it for more than it costs to make, and start making a profit. The 360 was making money in 2006 when the PS3 was losing money per console, for instance. (Simply googling finds news reports about this)

The extended console cycle is allowing them to actually continue to make money selling these consoles (or additional hardware for them such as Kinect and Move), so long as they continue to sell anyways, and developers don't have to learn how to develop for entirely new consoles either (except for the Wii U, anyways).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 09:57:32 am »

Speaking of loading areas, anyone got a look at whether the NPCs still fade in and out of existence at doors? Like instead of opening them, going into some darkness or something and only then dissapearing?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 10:55:14 am »

Funnily enough, the fading never managed to break my immersion, though by all means it should have. I just "Saw" them go through the door, even when they didn't.

I call this the Toady effect. Making people see things that reinforce immersion rather han break it like they will if you actually pay attention.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 10:57:29 am »

Funnily enough, the fading never managed to break my immersion, though by all means it should have. I just "Saw" them go through the door, even when they didn't.

I call this the Toady effect. Making people see things that reinforce immersion rather han break it like they will if you actually pay attention.
Indeed. I even think that an awkward animation of them going inside would only make it worse. If you can't do it right, just leave it out.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 11:16:15 am »

Indeed. I even think that an awkward animation of them going inside would only make it worse. If you can't do it right, just leave it out.
Then don't make them go through doors at all! All problems solved and one less feature to ruin everything!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 11:58:05 am »

Then don't make them go through doors at all! All problems solved and one less feature to ruin everything!
They didn't go through doors at all. They faded in front of them.  :P
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 12:14:10 pm »

Hey, has anybody trolled with the obvious crude sex pun on the name yet? I won't share what it is, but man, that one is so obvious that it makes me wonder what Bethesda was thinking. When the game comes out, everybody who militantly hates it and lacks articulation abilities are going to be bringing it up every five minutes. Just you wait.

Seriously, only reason I'm not looking forward to this game.

Hahaha, Wii means penis.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 01:14:28 pm »

I'll probably buy Skyrim.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 01:31:21 pm »

Hey, has anybody trolled with the obvious crude sex pun on the name yet?
Can't unsee it. >_<

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 01:46:01 pm »

IGN: Can you ride dragons in Skyrim?
Todd Howard: Not in the way you're asking.
ohohohooho

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 02:05:23 pm »

Quote from: TESV Timeline
4E ?? — Red Mountain erupts; Vvardenfell is destroyed.

I find this to be a subtle "fuck you" to the people who really liked the setting and hoped for perhaps more games set there in the future.

Not really. Stuff like this is why I loved the lore of TES games btw: If you read the books in Morrowind you could tell this would happen. Vivec used his power to stop the moon, and it's outright said his power is all that stops it resuming it's former crash-into-the-city-and-nuke-Vvardenfell velocity. When he lost his godhood his power eventually waned until the moon couldn't be held aloft any more, the impact is what caused Red Mountain to erupt.

In fact, if you read enough you soon realise both Vvardenfell's destruction AND the entire plot of Oblivion are the Nerevarine's fault. Destroying the heart weakened the barriers between Oblivion and Nirn, which combined with the emporer's death was enough to break them completely. And by destroying the heart
Spoiler: "Tribunal Spoilers" (click to show/hide)
which broke his pact with some of the Daedra by ending his power so they could again walk freely without consequence...

You know what, the Nerevarine was kind of a dick.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:10:27 pm by MorleyDev »

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »

You know what, the Nerevarine was kind of a dick.

You're right; I was a dick.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 02:11:08 pm »

The only other choice was let an ancient spite god run around with a giant mech powered by the immortal heart of a great old one. Although even then this could have all been avoided by not messing with the heart in the first place.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 896