Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1521307 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4890 on: February 04, 2012, 05:38:13 am »

Well, Daggerfall and Arena are both free...

The problem with those is that you need either a really good computer to run them smoothly in Dosbox, or a really old one to run then in actual DOS.
My computer sucks, and it can run them fine.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: February 04, 2012, 05:50:10 am »

Morrowind. 'Nuff said.

It's not expensive and you don't run it in DOSBox.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: February 04, 2012, 06:38:05 am »

I could run Daggerfall fine on one of those for internet and writing mini-laptops (netbooks or something?). Well, the controls were a bit of a pain but otherwise it was fine.
Love, scriver~

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: February 04, 2012, 10:16:55 pm »

So just started playing skyrim a while ago, and only one thing has really been bugging me, falling damage. Mainly because the threshold between taking no damage, taking half your health in damage, and dying is just so hard to differentiate between its absurd, if I look down a bit and go "can I make that jump without any damage", its really hard to tell if its "barley" or "instadeath".

Something that is minorly annoying is how in most of the quests they don't tell you where to go or even what to DO, but your journal knows anyways and points you towards where you need to go.

Also, I just ran into a fun glitch, somehow I got a "fortify magika 100 points" buff, but instead of giving me 100 more points of magika, it gave me 100 points magika regeneration (and not 100%, 100 points per second), so while it was active I went and killed a dragon, and killed just about everything super easy, being able to spam cast spells and keep a ward up permanently to stop the dragon from hurting me+ spamming attack spells/summons/healing.

EDIT: I once was running down a mountain on a path, and somehow my dude tripped and died (and at full health as well).  :-\
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:18:27 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: February 04, 2012, 10:28:41 pm »

Yeah, falling damage in Skyrim is silly as hell. You drop just slightly too far? LOL YOU DIE LOL NOW YOU NEED TO LOAD SAVE GAME LOLOLOL. It just makes you feel absolutely insecure even on a small hill.

Also, speaking of bugs on magika buffs: Doing a quest in the college, a magika limit debuff actually glitches and becomes a magika regeneration buff which increases magika regeneration immensely.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: February 04, 2012, 11:05:40 pm »

EDIT: I once was running down a mountain on a path, and somehow my dude tripped and died (and at full health as well).  :-\

It makes me wonder if one of the devs put the whole 'running downhill tends to be fatal' thing in intentionally after dying due to walking down stairs while overweight in Nethack. :P

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: February 04, 2012, 11:20:23 pm »

Yeah, falling damage in Skyrim is silly as hell. You drop just slightly too far? LOL YOU DIE LOL NOW YOU NEED TO LOAD SAVE GAME LOLOLOL. It just makes you feel absolutely insecure even on a small hill.

Also, speaking of bugs on magika buffs: Doing a quest in the college, a magika limit debuff actually glitches and becomes a magika regeneration buff which increases magika regeneration immensely.

I actually got that mana bug. I had no idea wtf was going on. I'm a melee character.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: February 05, 2012, 04:22:18 am »

Something that is minorly annoying is how in most of the quests they don't tell you where to go or even what to DO, but your journal knows anyways and points you towards where you need to go.

I actually find that a major, immersion-destroying annoyance. I absolutely loved how Morrowind actually gave you directions to places. There's only a single glimmer of this in Skyrim that I've found, when that chick shows you the way to Bleak Falls Barrow in the early quest.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: February 05, 2012, 04:56:51 am »

I actually find that a major, immersion-destroying annoyance. I absolutely loved how Morrowind actually gave you directions to places. There's only a single glimmer of this in Skyrim that I've found, when that chick shows you the way to Bleak Falls Barrow in the early quest.

Which you don't really need, since it's kind of a gigantic ruin on top of a mountain that can be seen from a mile away >_>

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: February 05, 2012, 05:23:39 am »

Well at least it's something.
Oh, and I guess you can also ask the tutorial NPCs how to get to Edoras. Er, I mean Whiterun.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: February 05, 2012, 05:24:53 am »

You guys are complaining about map locations? Or the location of NPCs? I'm assuming it's NPCs because map locations are easily mark on your map for you by the person. Unless you need said person to say "I'll mark it on your map" every single time you get a quest.

NPCs are to avoid tedium. Are you really gonna get immersed in a game when you have to check every single NPCs name, then hope they were in the spot you found them before?

Also, if you really want your immersion so badly, go buy the clairvoyance spell.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: February 05, 2012, 07:30:13 am »

You guys are complaining about map locations? Or the location of NPCs? I'm assuming it's NPCs because map locations are easily mark on your map for you by the person. Unless you need said person to say "I'll mark it on your map" every single time you get a quest.

NPCs are to avoid tedium. Are you really gonna get immersed in a game when you have to check every single NPCs name, then hope they were in the spot you found them before?

Also, if you really want your immersion so badly, go buy the clairvoyance spell.

I liked the way how they did it in Morrowind. You had to take a look at roadsigns, talk to people for directions, etc. It really felt like you were trying to find a location. Skyrim is praised for it's "immersion" but a magical marker on the screen, imho ruins it.

However, that's not the most immersion-breaking thing for me. Whenever I walk by a NPC they tell me their private life. I know, villages are small and people know each other it's not a metropolis but I'm a total stranger! Why are they telling me about their relatives, where they live, their possessions? What if I'm a mass murderer or a thief? Everybody is either naively friendly or immediately hostile. I guess this is because we don't have speechcraft and 'disposition' anymore. Also, every time I visit a new city, people start debating, arguing and executing each other. Yeah it feels interactive, you don't talk people to get quests you witness events but it's like everybody is waiting for me to come before they start arguing. I don't want to walk out with +15 quests whenever I visit a new city.

While dealing with all those quests, I usually forget what I was supposed to do because my journal doesn't give me much to remind me what happened. I just blindly follow a marker, hoping to remember what I was doing eventually. Most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: February 05, 2012, 10:54:23 am »

The complaint that people start arguing and events start happening en masse when you enter a new area seems weak, considering that is what has been happening in Fantasy literature for about a century.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: February 05, 2012, 10:56:50 am »

Yeah, but someone standing up and snapping at you that they're busy because you happened to walk within 50 feet of them is not.
*Hugs*

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: February 05, 2012, 11:00:41 am »

And speaking of quests, if they can avoid giving directions to a cave, they will. Skyrim doesn't tell you that this cave system is over to the east, next to the river's fork and a great rock or something.

Breaks immersion for me, when nobody tells me where to go, yet my character does.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 896