Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558993 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11445 on: October 30, 2014, 11:50:21 pm »

I'm... Actually okay with Ulfric. I hate the racist Nords but hey that's their culture I guess.

I want an ES in Khajitland.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11446 on: October 30, 2014, 11:53:53 pm »

Actually, in terms of ES 6...I think Stormcloaks winning is actually what will happen.

Considering Imperials are based on the Romans...

And bethesda pretty much following roman history...and during the time of skyrim, that is pretty much 100% accurate.

Goddammit. That's not even remotely right. The romans did not rise because a human god used a giant fucking robot to quash the elves, nor did it fall due to demons invading from outside the mortal realm. Using real-world history to make parallels is never a good idea in elder scrolls because it always ends up either boring (like what you're saying) or racist.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a little exasperated with all the comparisons, because they're always wrong in some way and always ignore huge amounts of the actual story.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:55:28 pm by Putnam »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11447 on: October 31, 2014, 12:00:29 am »

I'm... Actually okay with Ulfric. I hate the racist Nords but hey that's their culture I guess.

I want an ES in Khajitland.
I always play Bosmer or Dunmer, but I think I'd rather see Elsweyr than Valenwood.  Particularly if they make it as exotic as Morrowind.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11448 on: October 31, 2014, 12:01:18 am »

Actually, in terms of ES 6...I think Stormcloaks winning is actually what will happen.

And bethesda pretty much following roman history...and during the time of skyrim, that is pretty much 100% accurate.

Goddammit. That's not even remotely right. The romans did not rise because a human god used a giant fucking robot to quash the elves, nor did it fall due to demons invading from outside the mortal realm. Using real-world history to make parallels is never a good idea in elder scrolls because it always ends up either boring (like what you're saying) or racist.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a little exasperated with all the comparisons, because they're always wrong in some way and always ignore huge amounts of the actual story.

Well, bethesda DID do a lot of unique lore for ES...obviously it isn't a total war or a history game :P

But, it is sort of obvious they heavily based imperials off romans...doesn't take much looking to see that. And nords (barbarians) rebelling against Empire...and nords being a huge part of the empire...and barbarians being a huge part of the roman army...seems like it would be a huge coincidence quite a lot of stuff in skyrim (and the lore outside the game) was similar to the falling of the roman empire and sort of loosely based on history.

Besides, gameplay wise...I think they would want another people to take over and create a new empire. Spices things up and changes things around...otherwise things get boring and stale. In TES lore, there were a lot of rises and falls...can't be the same forever.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:02:56 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11449 on: October 31, 2014, 12:24:29 am »

Not...really. Nords are based off Vikings, really, although the horns are out-of-place.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11450 on: October 31, 2014, 12:29:42 am »

The empire will most likely be gone or shattered in ES 6 (think eastern roman empire/byzantine empire...so a remnant of it will likely still remain)

AND the big clue. You assassinate the emperor for the empire...and there is a near 100% it is lore accurate (otherwise they wouldn't put that HUGE plot in)...which further goes in line with Stormcloaks winning...

So in truth, choosing empire is NOT lore friendly. I don't agree with the stormcloaks, HATE Ulfric (he looks, sounds and acts like a complete douche)...but it is a near 100% likely hood that is what will be shown in ES 6 is stormcloaks winning or half/half at the very least.

(edit: As for barbarians...I imagine stormcloaks can be considered that (nords)...considering barbarians (nords) were a HUGE part of the roman (empire) army...even the environment is sort of similar...bethesda is just lazily copying roman history into ES...but hey, I love roman history...so not a bad thing to me. But makes it VERY obvious what is going to happen. So no point in choosing anyone but stormcloaks if you care about lore...cause empire will either 50/50 Skyrim or lose. Depending how much bethesda uses real history.

Except the thalmor...not sure who that can be considered as. A wildcard? Any ideas I have, seems maybe pushing it. If considering they have asian influence (ESO)...and bethesda takes that...probably mongols or something...but to me, that seems pushing it too far right now with what I know of thalmor...I'm sure bethesda based them on someone in history. They did with the Imperials (roman obviously) and nords)

You can't say something isn't lore-friendly based on real world history, at least wait until TES6 is out before you decide what the lore is :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11451 on: October 31, 2014, 12:37:28 am »

Especially since basing it on real world history is doomed to fail. The Third empire of Man (Tiber et al.) was also very clearly based on the Romans, but they didn't fall like the Romans and they didn't rise like the Romans. There is absolutely no reason to think that real-world allegories apply to future events in the Elder Scrolls series. There is no other event where such a line can be drawn. Acting as if the comparison is lore-friendly is complete and utter folly.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11452 on: October 31, 2014, 01:12:15 am »

Especially since basing it on real world history is doomed to fail. The Third empire of Man (Tiber et al.) was also very clearly based on the Romans, but they didn't fall like the Romans and they didn't rise like the Romans. There is absolutely no reason to think that real-world allegories apply to future events in the Elder Scrolls series. There is no other event where such a line can be drawn. Acting as if the comparison is lore-friendly is complete and utter folly.

Well, once TES 6 is out...I'll rise this thread from decay (cause no one will post here and everyone be in the TES 6 thread :P) and either say

"I knew it...told you so :P That was obvious"

or

"I was wrong. Rather surprised, but you guys are right. Guess I get a pie in my face now :(...hope its lemon pie :D aw chocolate pie :("

But likely that will be a long time from now...I assume they'd be working on Fallout 4 next.

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11453 on: October 31, 2014, 01:14:58 am »

It may be that the civil war not happening at all is a viable option, as that's what the Thalmor want. At least, that's what I get from the wiki article on it. I'm... Not-so-versed in the wase of Elder Scrolls lore. I mean, if all it took was Dovahkiin to start the war, the Thalmor really dropped the ball if they couldn't stop the civil war at some point between give and take.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11454 on: October 31, 2014, 01:31:09 am »

The Thalmor want a civil war more than anything. It weakens Man, and what weakens Man strengthens Mer.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11455 on: October 31, 2014, 01:41:16 am »

Perhaps I'll play as a Breton, as I never have before, just so I can go up to them and be a Breton at them. They must hate that.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11456 on: October 31, 2014, 02:47:13 am »

I like Bretons, actually. They're the best magicky race that isn't a snooty elf.

Dark elves are also pretty cool, but the whole obsession with corpses throws me off a little.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11457 on: October 31, 2014, 03:47:47 am »

Breton is bestrace. I usually make Spellswords with them, although I did once have a Breton monk in Oblivion.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11458 on: October 31, 2014, 05:05:30 am »

In my current playthrough, I play a disgruntled Breton who were mistaken for a member of the Forsworn and taken prisoner by the Stormcloaks.
He was tortured for days, lost an eye (Race Menu can make this at least look like it to a certain degree) and sent to one of their camps to serve as manual free labor.
He managed to escape and swore vengeance against Ulfric and his kin. Thus begins his story.

And yes, I use Skyrim Unbound which is found on Steam (an alternate start mod) to make this possible.
Ended up in a Stormcloak camp with nothing but pants and a dagger, which spawned the idea.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:07:28 am by Ultimuh »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11459 on: October 31, 2014, 05:36:33 am »

I'm currently playing a khajit warrior, so I took the warpaint and spattered it across her face and did my best to make her mouth look like she's in a perpetual state of having just torn someone's throat out.

Of course, thanks to SkyRe, she can totally do unarmed and not completely suck at it :D

But right now, she's establishing a house for herself in Falkreath where it's at least warmer (Frostfell) so she's not camping in tents while plotting the systematic slaughter of... One side or another. Dunno how that's going to work. But she's slaughtering the Thalmor, certainly. Nothing sweeter than the blood of the high and mighty High Elves.

She also regularly chases down deer for food because why not. And the cinematic instant-kill scenes with melee are fucking brutal. I never understood how to activate those kill-scenes, but man I love driving my knee through the head of a sabrecat.
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 896