Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558569 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11850 on: February 27, 2015, 08:47:59 pm »

Fallout 3 was ok, actually. Pretty memorable too. Only thing that bugs me about it is that the capital wasteland is still, well, a wasteland after 200 years. Radiation doesn't work that way.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11851 on: February 27, 2015, 08:55:22 pm »

Fallout 3 is a good game engine with a completely garbage plot and no sense of self-identity.  If they (Bethesda) had taken the time to re-imagine Fallout, I'd be less upset, but instead they smashed together a vast amount of inconsistent crap, threw some Fallout canon names onto it, then pushed it out the door.  It is a sterling example of horribly lazy game design, with vast holes in its internal lore and characterization.  I've put unknown hundreds of hours into it, and I have NEVER once felt like I was playing a Fallout game, just a post apocalyptic game with the trappings of Fallout.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: February 27, 2015, 09:05:28 pm »

Bethesda seem to set the release days for their big games about a year in advance, so I doubt they'll put out the next FO/ES game in 2015, unless maybe they aim for a Christmas release. I suspect that the longer than usual delay between Skyrim and their next open-world singleplayer RPG is because they pulled staff off it to work on ESO.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11853 on: February 27, 2015, 09:12:54 pm »

ESO was all Zenimax.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11854 on: February 27, 2015, 09:17:01 pm »

1. The majority of people don't like that stuff, or at least they don't really care about it very much. Yes, those type of mods are popular... but only a small fraction of the total people who play use them. For example skyrim sold just fine on consoles and they don't get mods at all.

2. Why should they bother when the community always does that stuff for them for free anyway?

Probably fallout 4, wasn't there some sort of teaser or ARG or something a while back? or did that turn out to be a hoax?

...No, not at all. Not even remotely. New Vegas incorporated mod stuff (weapon mods, hardcore mode) and it was received very well.

Also, the ARG was horribly fake, as was obvious to anyone who wasn't blinded by hype. Which was a lot of people. It was sad, seeing a bunch of people have hopes about it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: February 27, 2015, 09:28:47 pm »

Fallout 3 was a good game.
Fallout: New Vegas turned out to be more lore-friendly and morally interesting, and was perhaps great, but it didn't have the soul-crushing atmosphere I used to associate with Fallout.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11856 on: February 27, 2015, 09:38:19 pm »

...Um, what soul crushing atmosphere?  All of the Black Isle Fallout games are about humanity rising from the ashes to build anew, and overcoming nearly impossible odds to do so.  Not what I's call soul-crushing, more 'amazingly hopeful' than anything.  Both 1 & 2 are about an individual, who is chosen to help their small community, going out into the wasteland, encountering the bad and the good that humanity has to offer, and ultimately helping improve the world (or arbitrarily slaughtering everyone, because bored players decide to go on a killing spree).  The music choices are typically haunting, reflecting the emptiness of the post-apocalypse world, the inhabitants are very tight-knit and wary of newcomers, the tone of the game is nearly identical to any of a number of fantasy games I can think of (tho' less ostentatious than most)  My experience with the originals was definitely positive, not depressing at all.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: February 27, 2015, 09:38:55 pm »

Fallout 3 was a good game.
Fallout: New Vegas turned out to be more lore-friendly and morally interesting, and was perhaps great, but it didn't have the soul-crushing atmosphere I used to associate with Fallout.

Neither did Fallout 2...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11858 on: February 27, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »

Just dropping in to say, this isn't a Fallout thread.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11859 on: February 27, 2015, 11:36:00 pm »

Fallout 3 was ok, actually. Pretty memorable too. Only thing that bugs me about it is that the capital wasteland is still, well, a wasteland after 200 years. Radiation doesn't work that way.
There was just that many nukes fired that there's still substantial radiation left on the surface after that long?
Oh right Skyrim thread.
KIM ROH UN
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11860 on: February 27, 2015, 11:42:42 pm »

I say we should rename it to Bethesda Discussion Thread.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11861 on: February 27, 2015, 11:51:46 pm »

I say we should rename it to Bethesda Discussion Thread.

I say it's OP's choice.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: February 28, 2015, 12:10:19 am »

Wasn't serious, but honestly it'd be for the best.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11863 on: February 28, 2015, 11:54:26 am »

This is pretty much the generic Elder Scrolls thread though, even if the title says Skyrim. It's mostly because any attempts at generic threads devolved into flames because people kept getting angry over differences in taste when it comes to the various games of the series.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11864 on: February 28, 2015, 12:00:41 pm »

Casuel Skyrem?
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 896