Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1505429 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12000 on: March 16, 2015, 01:07:59 am »

I'm gonna install Oblivion again since I have it on steam and see how it compares to Skyrim myself. See if its my memory or not.

I think that is what I was trying to get at though, is not so much how good/bad the AI is...but the schedule and "living world" part of it. Like Ultima 7 sort of. That game had a great living world to it. Because any time I'm playing Skyrim, it feels like something huge is missing that I found way better in Oblivion...and I think it is the AI schedule itself. The game itself is good, I like a lot of the additions...but it has always felt like something I just couldn't get fully into. It doesn't feel nearly as immersive to me as Oblivion did (Skyrim never has), and I think its the AI. I've modded Skyrim like hell, but never really get into it that much. A lot of it is great and all, but always even at release something was off for me.

Well, I'll start up oblivion, mod it and see how it is :P I'd play it vanilla, which would be more fair probably. But come on, no one plays oblivion (for those that still do) without mods these days lol...and my skyrim is already heavily modded anyway so I can compare both modded :P
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12001 on: March 16, 2015, 01:28:42 am »

Oblivion's leveling system is completely and utterly awful without mods and it should be your top priority to get one that changes it.

I recommend OblivionXP or nGCD. The former makes it an experience point-based system and the latter increases stats and level based on skills automatically, so you never fall behind nor become completely godlike (well, without abusing magic or similar).

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: March 16, 2015, 03:14:51 pm »

You know what's a really good idea?
While uninstalling an ENB, purge the entire Data folder within a few seconds.

There goes my evening.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12003 on: March 16, 2015, 11:37:20 pm »

Oblivion's leveling system is completely and utterly awful without mods and it should be your top priority to get one that changes it.

I recommend OblivionXP or nGCD. The former makes it an experience point-based system and the latter increases stats and level based on skills automatically, so you never fall behind nor become completely godlike (well, without abusing magic or similar).

I went with OblivionXP, I always thought nGCD was too intensive and "bloated" (just my thought) and OblivionXP seemed a lot simpler and a bit more basic. Kinda like iNeed compared to Real Hunger and Disease mod for Skyrim...(iNeed being a lot less intensive and basic, resulting in better performance and stability).

I missed being able to turn off quest markers and having a real quest log. In Skyrim you can turn off quest markers, but why? It doesn't tell you anything like it did in Morrowind and Oblivion so you can't actually find where to go because the quest log is more of a call of duty follow a "linear" path to each quest with no exploring...except instead of a linear hallway, its just follow an open pathway to the quest marker. You actually can't turn off the markers and find where to go unlike Morrowind and Oblivion.

And...before I added any mods I spent an hour and a half in the game. And...unlike Skyrim (even with mods)...the AI feels a lot more immersive. I can wait for 6 hours and npcs still do their thing and "teleport around"with a real schedule. But not even that, the AI just seems a lot better like you'd find in Ultima 7. Skyrim, if you wait for 6 hours, the AI is still standing in the same exact place on your screen. If you sleep the AI does its thing, but not if you wait. Which is rather weird waiting however much long and the same npc is still there right in front of you.

Also, the writing seems a lot better. You get really cool info in each quest log...in Skyrim you don't really get any of that like I said. And a lot of the quests are WAY more immersive (especially the guilds, but other quests have been good too) than most of the ones in Skyrim.

Also I was right some months ago. The dungeons in Oblivion (without mods) are a lot more open (even though they are copy/paste dungeons) than Skyrim's mostly linear hallway interior design of dungeons. Literally, almost every dungeon/cave in Skyrim I've been in, has a precise pathway to go and a clear entrance/exit. Not all of course, but a vast majority. Oblivion has a lot more openness to them in the dungeons I went in. Also, Skyrim even though its handmade, I noticed a TON of caves, forts and what not look like they are copy/pasted anyway. But, Blackreach is EPIC...so kudos on that.

Guess that is what has been bugging me so much about Skyrim...a lot of it seems way better than Oblivion, but a lot of it seems really nerfed.

Heck, even though I have over 800 hours of Skyrim, 400-500 (literally) of that is modding it. The rest is making my really (I'll be honest, don't look at me like that) my really hot character :P that took 200 hours or so. And the rest is making new characters over and over as I remake her as I kept seeing things to change on her. Literally in Skyrim, I never even got past level 20 (legit, I did cheat my way to see later stuff...but to be honest, I don't think I've ever gotten into Skyrim that much like I did with Oblivion/Morrowind). Oblivion, I made one character (years back) and actually played it for a long time, same with Morrowind...Skyrim its mostly modding it and making new characters over and over lol.

Now to more of the story element. What REALLY has annoyed me the most about Skyrim.

You got the douchey used cars salesman, typical charismatic nazi jarl (stormcloak) and guess everyone likes charismatic leaders for some reason even though most are shitty. Guess most like being used by used cars salesman type of people. And then you got the lazy corrupt, roman emperors who have given up and just out for themselves (empire), pretty much one on one with the falling of the roman empire, even with the assassination of the king (similar to the Roman emperor that was asssassinated).

Where was the 3rd choice in all of this? Why, in all of this...could I never join the Thalmor? They were less douchey than Ulfric, at least they weren't trying to sale me a lie. Way better than the lazy ass empire and were vastly cooler. There is sort of a mod to join the Thalmor, but it causes a lot of stability issues and was never finished. WAY too script heavy and was abandoned anyway.

I'd rather take repeating the same Oblivion portals (which is now fixed with mods, so there is actually invasions in the actual world) and oblivion portals have better variety) over what Skyrim gave me...two equally lame choices, and the only "good" choice isn't available to you. Which maybe one day a mod will come out that is finished with good stability that lets you join them.

Despite my 800 hours of playing, like I said...nearly all of it, except maybe 30-40 hours of it...is modding and making new characters over and over lol.

I will say about Skyrim...I got AMAZING screenshots from it, and the best character I ever made for any game.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: March 17, 2015, 12:36:13 am »

...The Thalmor are ludicrously more douchey than Ulfric, and Ulfric is pretty friggin douchey. The Thalmor are, like, ideal personifications of douchiness. Their entire plan is:

1. Destroy the towers and...
2. Destroy man, so that we may...
3. Destroy Talos, which allows us to...
4. Destroy Mundus, which leads us back to Aldmeris, the time before, where all was protean.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: March 17, 2015, 12:38:43 am »

...The Thalmor are ludicrously more douchey than Ulfric, and Ulfric is pretty friggin douchey. The Thalmor are, like, ideal personifications of douchiness. Their entire plan is:

1. Destroy the towers and...
2. Destroy man, so that we may...
3. Destroy Talos, which allows us to...
4. Destroy Mundus, which leads us back to Aldmeris, the time before, where all was protean.

Well, they ARE up front about it. Which gives them some kudos. At least they aren't bullshitting anyone with what they actually want lol

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12006 on: March 17, 2015, 12:41:32 am »

They ain't up front about it. Pretty sure none of the Thalmor you meet in-game actually know any of that. They just think it's standard racial superiority stuff, when it's much, much deeper than that.

The weirdest part is that they're right. I mean, in the sense that, say, Hitler was wrong when he said that the Aryans are better than the Jews, while the Thalmor's plan is... yeah, pretty much right. And considering their utility function, it's entirely within their bounds to do so. But men don't want them to.

It's probably one of the most interesting conflicts I've seen in video games, really, since they're not evil so much as they have goals that are fundamentally at odds with that of humans in every way.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: March 17, 2015, 12:59:32 am »

>your plan specifically requires you to exterminate entire species of sentients in order to kill one of their gods so that you can fulfill your ideological goals
>you are not evil

TIL

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12008 on: March 17, 2015, 01:06:44 am »

"Not evil" in the sense that a robot that wants to turn everything into paper clips isn't evil.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: March 17, 2015, 03:32:28 am »

Protean paperclips. :v

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12010 on: March 17, 2015, 04:02:14 am »

Yeah, the the heads of the Thalmor want to bring things back to The Way They Were. Removing Man is incidental.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:38:03 pm by Putnam »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: March 18, 2015, 06:38:13 pm »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12012 on: March 18, 2015, 06:46:16 pm »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:09:54 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12014 on: March 18, 2015, 06:56:09 pm »

wait shit I keep forgetting that imgur isn't a proper source here you go
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 896