Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1505691 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #13290 on: September 06, 2017, 06:18:43 pm »

I play fallout shelter on the PC. It's a great thing to have up in the background while I do classwork.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13291 on: September 06, 2017, 06:20:18 pm »

Huh, didn't know it has a PC version.  I kinda like idle games in general, I might have played more Fallout Shelter if I wasn't already on Kittensgame and Swarm Simulator at the time :P  My brother got pretty far in it, actually.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13292 on: September 06, 2017, 06:25:51 pm »

Back in Skyrim... I discovered today that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13293 on: September 06, 2017, 06:36:23 pm »

I still like that everyone takes the time to engrave their name and address on every single item, including flowers and fish, that they own in case it gets stolen.

And apparently the fences in the game are the only ones who can figure out that just scratching out the engraving works fine.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13294 on: September 06, 2017, 08:25:03 pm »

I also would like a thieving system that is not based in video game logic from 1995.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13295 on: September 13, 2017, 01:07:46 am »

I also would like a thieving system that is not based in video game logic from 1995.

With them touting their magic AI system that is so cool you think they could implement at least a rumor system kind of like Toady is doing.

Steal a bunch of stuff - NPC reports it and spreads the news - other NPCs create list of suspects based on who was seen in the area at X time. Go one step further and you can have NPC vendors maybe on the lookout for people selling the goods that were stolen etc instead of just magically knowing...make it an ambiguous system where fences are the only reliable way to get rid of stolen goods while other merchants in other areas could also work with a low chance of being reported.

Could probably make a pretty convincing court based mini game out of it or something if they really wanted to try...would also make criminal acts much more in depth and realistic. Magic bounties from all knowing NPCs with cellphones that appear instantly is silly. And of course the ownership of items having no logical markers yet everyone knowing who owns what.

Wonder if that could be modded in...suppose it could be actually
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:12:15 am by dennislp3 »

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13296 on: September 13, 2017, 09:05:52 am »

I suppose that it will always be the draw-back of a game like the Elder Scrolls. When sword-fighting, magic and stealth all have to squeeze together in one game, there is only so much space that each of them can have. It cannot be a fantastic sneaky-thiefy-stabby-swipy-game, for it must also be a satisfying fency-hacky-slashy-bashy experience, as well as a abracadabra-zappy-freezy-burny-magic experience.
(By the by, I rather like my hyphonic system of classification, but I fear it might be too unwieldy for everyday use)
I can settle for second best, or merely good. As long as it is engaging and stimulating, it will do. Nonetheless, a rumour-based system of reputation cannot be beyond the wit of men to put in. After all, in Skyrim, they managed to make people send goons after you for stealing their things. And, of course, make the guards a little less helpless in their pursuit of justice. Enough careless theft in one place, and your disreputable-o-meter reaches a point where you get a bounty and an appointment with the gaol; that is just one idea. Of course, saving the city from the invading killer teapots, descending from Earl Grey's flying tea-tray fortress, should be enough to outweigh being prosecuted for stealing some of Mrs. Spacefiller's spoons.

As an aside, I... Well. It is peculiar, but with the state of their modding policy, and their less than re-assuring attitude, and with all the time passed, I am much less keen on any future Elder Scrolls release than I was. In fact, sometimes I feel that it would be better if they did not release another one, for under current mangement, it would not be a very good addition to the series at all.

It is an impression that saddens me. That is not how the world ought to be, particularly for me, who loves Tamriel so deeply, for whom it is so significant and meaningful. It should be an exciting thought; the possibility of the next Elder Scrolls, and not a worry. Not the fear of a disappointment and embarrassment to the series looming in the future. I must sit down sometime and work through these feelings, but I cannot say that I am hopeful for its future. But then again, one must always be willing to be surprised. Perhaps, perhaps.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13297 on: September 13, 2017, 03:16:40 pm »

I mean unless this paid mod crap goes away fully I'm probably not going to be interested in any future elder scrolls/fallout iterations.

I put up with their archaic/questionable mechanics because of the fantastically positive way they treated their playerbase and enabled community modding. There's nothing in it for me right now.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:26:56 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13298 on: September 13, 2017, 03:25:34 pm »

Incidentally, the alpha version of SKSE64 is out.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13299 on: September 13, 2017, 04:51:00 pm »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13300 on: September 27, 2017, 01:40:21 pm »

https://bethesda.net/en/article/5lz4Q7F4li6kwKmakkgWww/skyrim-survival-mode-coming-soon

Hey look it's those things that were already made by other people, now sold by Bethesda.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13301 on: September 27, 2017, 01:45:47 pm »

Already made, and made better.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13302 on: September 27, 2017, 06:57:22 pm »

With modders adding custom UI elements and implementing things like this years ago, I wonder why Bethesda continues to beat the dead horse that is Skyrim?

The last piece of content that wasn't a re-release was in 2012, so aside from a lack of understanding of what players want (or drive to create new content) I'm not sure what their intention is between the Special Edition or Fallout 4 VR.

And they stand to gain a lot of enmity with players due to promising they wouldn't release paid mods... then going and doing just that (with a direct, snarky reference to the horse armor DLC in Fallout 4's version). I partially suspect it's setting the framework for unofficial mods in future games to no longer be a thing; if that's the case I will no longer buy their games.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13303 on: September 27, 2017, 07:02:24 pm »

That whole page reads like a poor imitation of Frostfall

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13304 on: September 27, 2017, 07:16:46 pm »

With modders adding custom UI elements and implementing things like this years ago, I wonder why Bethesda continues to beat the dead horse that is Skyrim?

The last piece of content that wasn't a re-release was in 2012, so aside from a lack of understanding of what players want (or drive to create new content) I'm not sure what their intention is between the Special Edition or Fallout 4 VR.

And they stand to gain a lot of enmity with players due to promising they wouldn't release paid mods... then going and doing just that (with a direct, snarky reference to the horse armor DLC in Fallout 4's version). I partially suspect it's setting the framework for unofficial mods in future games to no longer be a thing; if that's the case I will no longer buy their games.
They're doing it for the console versions. Especially, I imagine, the Switch one.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 896