Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1517768 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #13395 on: July 12, 2018, 09:31:57 pm »

Store it in sppaaaaaace!!! :3 :3
Khajiit has not been to moon.  What moon?  Khajiit is innocent of these crimes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13396 on: July 19, 2018, 07:58:50 pm »

I wasn't aware of the Ebony Warrior, huh.  Never leveled that much.
Quote from: An unregistered Wikia poster, explaining why the EW isn't dragonborn
The thu'um is a type of tonal magic. Nords learnt it from the dragons (specifically Parthurnax). Redguards taught it to themselves and called it sword singing, it was the same thing. The Dwemer also taught it to themselves and made a seperate school of magic for it. The Dwemer, unlike Nords, Redguards and Dragons, channel the power through their hands.
There are so many secrets that I just haven't encountered, so many books I could read more carefully or at all.  And old games to play through.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13397 on: July 19, 2018, 08:10:39 pm »

I wasn't aware of the Ebony Warrior, huh.  Never leveled that much.
Quote from: An unregistered Wikia poster, explaining why the EW isn't dragonborn
The thu'um is a type of tonal magic. Nords learnt it from the dragons (specifically Parthurnax). Redguards taught it to themselves and called it sword singing, it was the same thing. The Dwemer also taught it to themselves and made a seperate school of magic for it. The Dwemer, unlike Nords, Redguards and Dragons, channel the power through their hands.
There are so many secrets that I just haven't encountered, so many books I could read more carefully or at all.  And old games to play through.
Use UESP and not Wikia. Harumph.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #13398 on: July 19, 2018, 08:34:37 pm »

It's more accurate to say that the dwemer and redguards used tonal mechanics, not that their things were a subset of the thu'um. It's Tonal Mechanics -> all those things; not Tonal Mechanics->Thu'um-> all those things.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:07:49 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13399 on: July 19, 2018, 09:23:33 pm »

All magic might be considered music of a sort, it's just that the more structured type most people encounter is a bit more abstracted from it. Sword-singing, tonal architecture, the Thu'um and the
Selectives dancing on the Tower are all obvious cases, but what are somatic or verbal components of spells except dancing and singing?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13400 on: July 19, 2018, 09:32:41 pm »

Though by that reasoning, swinging a sword while screaming is also dancing and singing, even if there's no explicit swordsong or thuum attached.

Which is also plausible, mind, but if literally everything is another chord in The Song That Is The World it rather depreciates the value of calling it such.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13401 on: July 19, 2018, 09:44:03 pm »

The Elder Scrolls are the written 4th-wall-breaking ballad of the singular allfather, Eru Ilúvatar.
She/they

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13402 on: July 19, 2018, 09:59:55 pm »

if literally everything is another chord in The Song That Is The World it rather depreciates the value of calling it such.

I don't see why, since the all-encompassing nature of Music is the entire reason that changing the tune has physical effects.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #13403 on: July 19, 2018, 10:16:24 pm »

I had a theory once that the Akaviri might do something similar with body-motions (martial arts), and that the different Akaviri races we've heard of may just have different prominent styles/schools, with correspondingly different tonal effects (and of course the different spiritual/philosophical internal "motions" so-to-speak to accompany the literal motions of different martial arts). Thus, they may in fact be human (though practicing reality-warping arts could plausibly make them look different).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13404 on: July 20, 2018, 05:31:40 am »

The Dwemer, unlike Nords, Redguards and Dragons, channel the power through their hands.
Just had a mental image of a dwemer waving his hands feverishly, trying to get his fingers to hum from the air passing through them.

A bit like those generated musical instruments in DF, like the brick that sings a high C by shaking it violently.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13405 on: July 20, 2018, 05:36:38 am »

The Dwemer, unlike Nords, Redguards and Dragons, channel the power through their hands.
Just had a mental image of a dwemer waving his hands feverishly, trying to get his fingers to hum from the air passing through them.

A bit like those generated musical instruments in DF, like the brick that sings a high C by shaking it violently.

to be fair, that's basically just a bottle blow type whatsit

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13406 on: July 20, 2018, 02:09:52 pm »

if literally everything is another chord in The Song That Is The World it rather depreciates the value of calling it such.

I don't see why, since the all-encompassing nature of Music is the entire reason that changing the tune has physical effects.
Right, but you lose the meaning of the existing metaphor, since world-singing isn't any more or less song-world-changing than just doing normal stuff. You could describe the whole world as a cooking game show and it's not necessarily going to be less accurate or applicable.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13407 on: July 20, 2018, 02:14:14 pm »

The Elder Scrolls are the written 4th-wall-breaking ballad of the singular allfather, Eru Ilúvatar.

I get it
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13408 on: December 08, 2022, 09:16:42 am »

GET NEC'D!

I am having the best time with skyrim VR. As mentionned in earlier ramblings I spent at most 50h on the vanilla release back in 2011...

Welcome in 2022, please install VRIK, HIGGS and PLANCK before proceeding. I can grab npcs and push them around and lead them by the hand pet the damn dog etc... grappling is kinda janky because if they were doing an animation they will finish their attack no matter how you contort them, but I tend to savescum a lot anyways until I resolved my fights in a cinematically pleasing way, I got tons of patience for this. Let me tell you, I don't think grabbing weapon arm / shoulder and jujitsu stab the fuck out of them is ever going to get old. I need to make myself a harness for the cable so it joins me between my shoulders so I stop airslapping the cable.

Graphics wise I went a fairly modest road: the cathedral suite, noble skyrim and lux is all one needs IMO. The game looks gorgeous especially at night and the performance impact is negligeable, I am getting extremly consistent below 10ms frametimes (11,1 = 90hz) with slight supersampling and dnyamic resolution (couldnt see a differnce in visual fidelity but it smoothed my frametimes even further) on my 2080ti and my card doesn't strain itself, it runs hot but not 1°C hotter than I like it too. Just EXTREMLY consistent, it's glorious so glorious...

Skyrim best game of 2022? I for one am having the best time... used to think elderscrolls are super flat ans uninteresting but this, this is something else. If an npc is too robotic for my taste I can slap him around :D
let

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #13409 on: December 10, 2022, 09:50:01 am »

Another interpretation of the Tonal Mechanics stuff is that it's basically finding the resonance frequency of the laws of physics and then figuring out which particular parts to shake to make things happen. The laws of physics in TES are powered by et'Ada that gave themselves up to become the laws, so everytime you shout "Fus" the spirits powering the rules of motion get very confused about what the heck just happened.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:49:45 am by MorleyDev »
Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896