Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I could use some help with some !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 1666 times)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I could use some help with some !!SCIENCE!!
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:25:47 pm »

I could also use some help figuring out which forum to put this in, as it does include a certain necessity for modding..However, that wasn't really the intention of the thread.

The intention of the thread was to create: Flaming Nethercap Weapons.

Here's the basic idea: Production of flaming Nethercap Weapons has two components: The Nethercap Training Spear(For maximum penetration, and thus, maximum internal immolation), and the pinnacle of all Dwarven !!science!!, Combustium, an artificially created gam which contains the abilities to both be produce fire, and not be destroyed by said fire.
The production of this sword will be as such:
Cut Nethercap Tree down.
Make Nethercap Training Spear.
(Somehow) make Combustium.
Encrust Weapons(Make sure this is the only available weapon,) with Combustium gems.
Start ignition by stabbing the spear into enemies.

However, I do foresee setbacks, which I shall mention now:
First of all, how to keep a sustained fire. Since we all know that Nethercap just won't be set ablaze by anything, the only logical conclusion would be on of two:
A) Air exists(Which it doesn't,) and is somehow set ablaze by the Combustium, or:
B) Combustium is actually unable to be destroyed by fire(But can be SET on fire,) and thus is the source of the fire.

Second, the practical application of this new experimental weapon.
1) It may end up having the possibility to set its wielder on fire..Which would generally cause fun.
2) Training with this must be strictly prohibited, unless you want fun.
3) The wielder can never put down the sword around anything flammable, or you'll have..Well, you know.

If there are any other problems, please alert me.
Also, despite being a player for a few years(I have actually played the original version. However, I quickly abandoned it, as I was too young at this time to fully understand it.), I am not very skilled with quickly building Forts in the name of !!Science!!. For that reason, I'd like some people to assist me with research..That is, if anyone even wants Flaming Nethercap Spears of death.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I could use some help with some !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:34:07 pm »

I skipped the rest, only got halfway to where you said "encrust the cumbustium on the spear".  Encrusted, hanging rings, sewn images, etc, do not exist.  They exist as a line of text and a value modifier, but for all physical purposes, they are not there.  Encrusting an axe with diamond will not make it sharper.  That being said, if the spear is made of cumbustium, and set to explode at body temperature, then any stuck-in strike will cause fire.  The issue then, is how the object reacts.  It should, I believe, be possible that the object won't incur damage.  See: Plump Helmet Men will catch fire but not die.  It should somehow be possible to mod a material that will catch fire but not actually burn.  If achieved, then you should be able to stab an enemy, causing fire, and withdraw the weapon to extinguish the flame.  Biggest issue then, is that a dwarf is also holding a flaming weapon.

Also do keep in mind that other weapons can get stuck.  Axes stuck in limbs are common, and I was in adventure mode and had a mace get stuck in a goblin's head.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:34:07 pm »

You can't encrust weapons with gems, as far as i know. that could be a major issue.
Magma is overrated.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:37:20 pm »

You CAN encrust weapons with gems if you use a custom reaction.  For that matter, you can decorate anything with anything, resulting in booze that menaces with spikes of kitten tallow.  Trouble is, it doesn't actually matter except for value and trade.  Elves don't like wooden decorations, and dwarves will pay more for menacing spikes than they will for coatings or art.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 11:40:10 pm »

Hmm..I hadn't thought of gem-encrustings actually being completely useless..
..I guess, now that I think about it, that explains the large amount of lack of any furniture via encrusting doesn't give it the opportunity to break eventually.(Think about it. You've just cut a hole in some object, and stuck a gem inside it. Even with stone, that would leave at least hairline cracks somewhere.)
But yes, that should work..Perma-fire, while fun(And just about the only way to make it plausibly fun-stuff-slayer material, if it's wooden,) would actually kill more dwarves then enemies.
And yes, that is precisely the problem..Perhaps steel Gauntlets would suffice?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:44:09 pm by Eddren »
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 11:46:00 pm »

I think gauntlets will help protect from an item being held.  I've heard of using gloves while handling that one slime creature's corpse, because it causes blisters.  But, the idea isn't to make it perma-burn, but rather to make it burn at body temperature.  It stabs in, becomes inside the enemy, lights on fire, and then is withdrawn, causing the flame to die.  Normally, weapons don't take damage, but anything on fire will, if made to.  I think you can give it an ignition point but no boiling point, or something like that, and make it invulnerable.

Ah, wait, maybe it's heat_dam?  With no heat_dam or a very high one, it should be able to catch on fire, but not suffer from it, I believe.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 11:51:22 pm »

Yes, that would work..
..Actually, that was kind of why I thought it would be interesting if I could put it into Nether-Cap. On top of the Nether-Cap being completely unaffected by flames whatsoever, it might have been able to keep the fires from scorching the Dwarf, via not travelling to the hilt.

But, yes, that would be *extremely* interesting..Especially to watch. Must find someone to test to see whether the victims cause 'fun' or not.

But another issue is, would the Heatdam from the fire of the now-immolated enemy effect the dwarf, or is that not an Area of Effect thing?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 12:01:21 am »

I don't know.  I'm inclined to believe that a pair of non-flammable gloves will protect the dwarf, unless the spear is lodged for a very long time and there's enough time for the heat to grow.  Suggest arena mode testing by controlling the individual.  Spear them and test how long it takes to incur damage on yourself.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 12:15:23 am »

Bolts might be a better choice, the stabby end lacks the annoying and flammable connection to the Scientist.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 12:40:20 am »

Dwarven Incendiary rounds? Decent.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 02:10:06 am »

I have a better idea. As you are modding in a material (Combusium), just make an ore (Or tree) that ignites at body temperature. Then remove the heat damage point, and use it as a bolt!

There, now we can all be happy. Except the elves, but that's the point.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:34:06 am »

Hmmm..That makes me wonder...
..Would it be possible to get the bolt to get a reaction SPECIFICALLY with Elven blood?
Then, it would mutate the Elf to have a new body-part(Hang with me,)
Kill the elf
And finally, make that new body-part capable of being harvested, for the use of making more bolts.

And the best part is, I'd make that material into a tree.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 02:45:42 pm »

Can't set Nethercap on fire, because of it's fixed low temperature.

Can't set anything in DF on fire without it burning away completely over at most a few months, except for artifacts made of flammable materials.