Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a question about temperature.  (Read 1395 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
a question about temperature.
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:17:19 pm »

so, im thinking of making a metal that is a ridiculously high temperature, and one at a really low temperature. i know how to do this, as i can just put thetag from nether caps in with the temp eited so i dont nee help with that.

im curious about the effects, namely, what temperature will i need to make the blazetite to cause damage from the heat, and what temperature will i need to make the nulltherm to make it cause damage by the cold? if the cold damage is impossible, ill just make it impervious to heat and use it as mandatory amour for all units wielding blazetite weapons. i may also make a full suit of blazetite armour that
 i assign to obles that have failed me.

summary
1- what temperature should i set the metal at for doing damage from the heat?
2- can a metal do damage from the coldness of it, if so what temperature?
3- if 2 is impossible, what temperature should i make it so that it protects from the heat caused by the really hot metal.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
Re: a question about temperature.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »

I think a temperature of a few thousand urists (2000-3000) is enough to melt off appendages if you touch it, and I'm pretty sure that temperatures near 0 can cause frostbite from direct contact, but even minimal clothes will prevent that.

Any fixed temperature will protect you from heat, as long as it isn't hot enough to fry you itself.
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:20:11 pm »

okay, so a 3000 ish temperature for blazetite and absolute zero for frostbite in the nulltherm. hmm, it seems ill have to make a fixed body temp metal so my smiths dont die while handleing these metals.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:39:33 pm »

1. This should be in the modding forum.

2. 3000 Urists is too cold.. Underground "room temperature" is 10015 Urists.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:42:53 pm »

Unless significant changes have gone through since I last tried this, modding a material to have a temperature colder than 'room temperature' will not make it freeze things that touch it, it'll make that material boil away into a cloud of gas at room temperature..

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 02:58:52 pm »

not if it has the high melting and boiling ppints.

also, i know how to do the modding, its the details of temperature that i dont get, which is part of standard game mechanics