Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (Turtle) shell armor.  (Read 11703 times)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(Turtle) shell armor.
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:16:10 pm »

Due to me having a volcano but no ores suited for armours, a legendary bone carver AND a brother bragging about a masterwork turtle shell helm, I got curious how good shell armor is at protecting? I realise it won't be very impressive at all, but how good is it? Is it worth making a turtle shell helm instead of a leather one or turtle shell crafts? For that matter, how protective is bone armor and why can't I sharpen a decent bone and give it to a dwarf to use as a barbaric dagger?

Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: (Turtle) shell armor.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:21:02 pm »

If I'm correct, shell armor(I call them bone) is more stronger than wood armor, but weaker than metal. I'm not sure though, haven't messed with shell armor much.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:25:20 pm »

So it's stuck somewhere between "utter shite" and "useful". I had managed to pinpoint it down that far. :P

Guess I'll try for amateur-science and see how it stands up to badgers.

Although maybe I should test against a groundhog first...   :o

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:37:06 pm »

Once you've imported enough metal for actual armor and weapons, give the shell stuff to your marksdwarves. They'll put it to good use.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:01:54 pm »

Shell Armour is good light armour for Marksdwarfs. If used to supliment Leather Armour, Bone(Shell) is fine.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:41:32 pm »

it's a shame that the testing arena won't let us make bone or shell armor, it's getting in the way of some much needed !!SCIENCE!!

Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 12:19:36 am »

I'd personally put it somewhere between nothing and a prayer against any serious enemy. It may help against dog bites or unarmed prison -escapees (damned gobbo thieves always wanna take the hard way!), but won't be useful in real combat at all.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 02:54:39 am »

It stops silver melee edged weapons, sometimes. Also you can't have bone level upper body, upper arm and foot armor.
the biggest downside for me is the inability to assign it to dwarves correctly.
To get them equip bone, you have to tell them to wear generic "metal helms", and then copper helms from goblins or adamantine/steel helms for your regular melee military start appearing and dwarves start getting attached and soon everything is messed up and everybody is running back and forth hauling stuff and nobody knows who wears what.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 03:18:52 am »

Hmm, that's inconvenient. I'll just try to equip a dwarf to the best of my ability then. Maybe two, one with bone, one with shell although I can't accurately compare bone greaves with shell leggings.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 03:26:41 am »

You can make bone leggings.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 03:40:52 am »

Yeah, true, but I already have the bone greaves. :P

For the sake of accuracy I'll make some bone leggings as well.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 04:17:38 am »

I wasn't bragging about the shell helmet. I just mentioned it.  >:(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 05:35:07 am »

You mentioned it braggingly.

Anyway, judging by the armor article on the wiki shell and bone have identical stats and are theoretically both good against blunt.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 06:03:41 am »

it's a shame that the testing arena won't let us make bone or shell armor, it's getting in the way of some much needed !!SCIENCE!!

Surely you can just copy bone or shell, change the ID and add the appropriate metal tags? Obviously the results would have to be taken with a pinch of salt, but they should accurately reflect how bone and shell would fare.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 07:27:39 am »

Well, in any case it should be better than wearing no armor at all. Also, it got style.
Pages: [1] 2