Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Beast sickness (Syndrome w/ Blistering and impaired function) question  (Read 13858 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

Hail my Fortress Overseers friends. (an awesome hail since all we B12ers deserve it!)

The beast had the "Beware it's poisonous cloud" (or gas, or breath..can't remember) description, and I didn't even know syndromes were so well developed already (I feel like an idiot since I play for like 2 or 3 years).

Anyway, I sent two 5-noob-marksdwarf squad down there, and did some tactics so the beast couldn't poison everyone..however, it was a very tight space, 7x5 battle area, so 3 dwarves had direct contact to the cloud (the others that were near didn't get the sickness).

The syndrome caused Serious Blistering on all body parts, incluidng eyes and kidneys.
Also: Looking at the wiki, it says "No vanilla syndrome currently causes impaired function", but the kidneys status say "function totally impaired"

My questions are:
1 - Is there a way to treat beast sickness? The 3 dorfs are free to roam around...blind. Diagnosed with beast sickness, but no treatment scheduled nor anything.
2 - Will blistering/blindness ever go away? Their kidneys and eyes status color is blue, and body parts are yellow/brown.
3 - If they die, could they infect other dwarves? (I wouldn't turn down on them since the awesome courage they had to jump on the FB and not let the whole other 10 military dorfs and 5 civ dorfs that were hanging around to get poisoned too)
4 - Could a "detoxication room" have any effect on wounds? For example, making a 3x3 room with a bridge/hatch roof that would pour water inside. The dorfs could be both "drowned" in water for a while and then rescued, or the room could be filled with grates, so they would take a "shower".
5 - Are the kidneys really "function impaired", or it only shows like that?

Thanks in advance.

-- EDIT: My God..fixed a lot of typos and asked another question.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:26:40 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beast sickness (Syndrome w/ Blistering and impaired function) question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:29:29 pm »

1 - Is there a way to treat beast sickness? The 3 dorfs are free to roam around...blind. Diagnosed with beast sickness, but no treatment scheduled nor anything.

I would personally put them in containment for a while until it's evident they aren't going to puke or spread the contagion to the other dwarves.

4 - Could a "detoxication room" have any effect on wounds? For example, making a 3x3 room with a bridge/hatch roof that would pour water inside. The dorfs could be both "drowned" in water for a while and then rescued, or the room could be filled with grates, so they would take a "shower".

I don't think so, in fact I think this would interrupt them from resting and would be detrimental to their recovery is used for long. There is another use for this though, if the dwarf vomits or such and has it all over their clothes, then it's likely that dousing them in water would wash away the contagious liquids. Though of course, simply making a pool of shallow water through high traffic areas, or along the passages from the deeps would serve this purpose as well.

Dwarves don't urinate. In fact, I suspect their lifelong exposure to alcohol has totally destroyed their liver along with their kidneys and their only purpose in an adult dwarf is provide volume to support the rest of the organs.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:02:18 am »

Slippery Vengeance

It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 03:01:34 am »

My questions are:

Not really.  Some syndrome symptoms require treatment-- like rotting, say-- but the syndrome itself is going to just run its course.

2 - Will blistering/blindness ever go away? Their kidneys and eyes status color is blue, and body parts are yellow/brown.

Blistering will.  Blindness might and might not.  It depends on the syndrome.  Neither is treatable.

3 - If they die, could they infect other dwarves? (I wouldn't turn down on them since the awesome courage they had to jump on the FB and not let the whole other 10 military dorfs and 5 civ dorfs that were hanging around to get poisoned too)

Dwarves don't infect, but their equipment can.  In this case, though, since it was a "poisonous vapors" beast, you're not going to see any further infection.

No effect on wounds, but this is how you would decontaminate equipment.  Like I said, though, in this case, equipment isn't contaminated.

Huh.  Don't know.  Real life, kidneys are pretty important, and traumatically impaired renal function in a medieval world would mean death in a matter of weeks.  That doesn't seem to happen though.  Real life, kidneys are very vascular, too.  Probably should be more like spleens for DF, extraneous but likely artery hits, at least until there's some kind of nutrition.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:28 pm »

Oh, thanks for the info! I've left the 3 dorfs burrowed in my hospital with food and drinks to survive..meanwhile another FB appeared and "spitted" on my militia commander, who rotted his body for a while..then even his organs started rotting (or something) and he died too..

FB are becoming common, and goblins are becoming rare. Last time I played this fortress it was the other way around..

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:51:57 pm »

I don't think so, in fact I think this would interrupt them from resting and would be detrimental to their recovery is used for long. There is another use for this though, if the dwarf vomits or such and has it all over their clothes, then it's likely that dousing them in water would wash away the contagious liquids. Though of course, simply making a pool of shallow water through high traffic areas, or along the passages from the deeps would serve this purpose as well.

Isn't it possible for a decontamination pool to be tainted with pus/vomit and end up infecting your entire fortress in a matter of minutes?
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:37:00 pm »

Unfortunately, only few organs have any real function in dorf right now. Eyes (blindness), heart (bleedout?), lungs (suffocation)... anything else?

Shame. Wathing kidneyless dorf horribly dying due to internally poisioning himself would be hilarious. Maybe it will be possible to do something like that by modding?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 05:27:01 pm »

I have a bit of a strange question.  I thought I saw on the wiki a screengrab that actually showed the word "syndrome" in-game with a description of the effects.  In my current (and first ever) fortress, I fought some forgotten beasts a while back, and then just started noticing tons of dwarves (even some who had never seen combat) had blistered, paralyzed feet and lost vision, and so I just sort of inferred that this must a result of the forgotten beast. 

Is there actually a way to check wehtehr a creature has a Syndrome, and what the status is?  When I check thw wounds screen (v > w) or the health (v > z > h OR z-stocks > health tab) I can see the various wounds but never see the word "Syndrome" or anything like that.  AM I missing something?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 08:46:43 pm »

Isn't it possible for a decontamination pool to be tainted with pus/vomit and end up infecting your entire fortress in a matter of minutes?

NO, because only the original FB "extract" spreads the syndrome.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 09:03:06 pm »

I don't think that's true.  I have to admit that I haven't got it all figured out, but I've had dogs chained up to a decon trench suddenly die of blood loss on me.  The beast had been nowhere near the decon trench, but goods carried through it had left extract on the floor.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 10:14:55 pm »

I don't think that's true.  I have to admit that I haven't got it all figured out, but I've had dogs chained up to a decon trench suddenly die of blood loss on me.  The beast had been nowhere near the decon trench, but goods carried through it had left extract on the floor.

Well, yes, extract from the decon trench may spread the syndrome. Blood, pus, vomit from infected dwarves won't spread the syndrome, which was the question.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:08:29 pm »

Oh, pardon me, wasn't reading it right.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 01:56:52 am »

Hmm, my main worries was that pus/vomit/blood could infect the whole fortress..but as it can't, I can allow the (now) 2 dorfs back into the fortress.
One of them died of hunger because I didn't fulfill a noble's mandate (he ordered iron items. I don't have iron in this damned embark), so the guy was jailed and no one paid attention to him.
The two dorfs are still blistered and blind, must have been a year already..

I have a bit of a strange question.  I thought I saw on the wiki a screengrab that actually showed the word "syndrome" in-game with a description of the effects.  In my current (and first ever) fortress, I fought some forgotten beasts a while back, and then just started noticing tons of dwarves (even some who had never seen combat) had blistered, paralyzed feet and lost vision, and so I just sort of inferred that this must a result of the forgotten beast. 

Is there actually a way to check wehtehr a creature has a Syndrome, and what the status is?  When I check thw wounds screen (v > w) or the health (v > z > h OR z-stocks > health tab) I can see the various wounds but never see the word "Syndrome" or anything like that.  AM I missing something?

It only shows after a doctor diagnosed your sick dwarf, and you can see it on the health screen > history.
It'll show "Diagnosed with beast sickness".

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 11:50:33 am »

Ok thanks, I found some who have "diagnosed with beast sickness" in their medical history.  However, I also have a lot more dwarves with the exact same symptoms who don't have that listed in their history, yet have already been evaluated and aren't schedule for future diagnosis.  Is it possible a poorly skilled Diagnostician would have 'missed' the beast sickness? 

Also, is there any way to determine what the exact symptoms of a 'beast sickness' are other than waited and checking from experience?

Also also, any good ways to eliminate the "forgotten beast extracts" which spread the sickness? 
Despite installing Dwarven baths at all the entrances / exits and running dfcleanmap a few times, new migrants keep eventually developing these symptoms (but not listed as 'beast sickness' on their medical history).  I have a fort half full of blind, sluggish dwarves with blistered feet unable to stand, but dutifully (and slowly...) dragging themselves to work everywhere.  When I check people's inventory I never see "forgotten beast extract" anymore but somehow it seems to keep spreading... Any good tips for decontaminating my unclean fortress?

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 01:40:59 pm »

Do an Ardentdikes and flood the whole place with magma?

If the cleaning tool doesn't seem to stop it, it might come from extract-covered objects.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4