Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Beast sickness (Syndrome w/ Blistering and impaired function) question  (Read 13856 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beast sickness (Syndrome w/ Blistering and impaired function) question
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 01:46:05 pm »

Sounds like you've got extract trapped in a decon shower or something. Anyone who uses it would get it on them and then immediately have it washed off, but they'd still develop the symptoms.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 02:17:14 pm »

One of my sick dwarves also wasn't diagnosed with beast sickness, but had the same symptoms as the other two.
Maybe the docs are too poorly skilled, or something.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 05:47:11 pm »

Hmm okay I may have missed the extract if it's on some equipment i in a bathtub.   If contaminated bathtubs spread the infection around, what is the purpose of them?  Is there a way to clean a contaminated bathtub?  I'm currently using a standing water tub http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Uristocrat/Dwarven_Bathtub  , but I heard about a flowing water version, is that what I would need to *actually* protect my dwarves from Syndromes?  If so, is there an easy way to make one?  A Vomit Hummingbird snuck in through my sewage system and now I've got "frozen forgotten beast extract" all over my furniture stockpiles, so I may be in trouble....

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »

Hmm okay I may have missed the extract if it's on some equipment i in a bathtub.   If contaminated bathtubs spread the infection around, what is the purpose of them?  Is there a way to clean a contaminated bathtub?  I'm currently using a standing water tub http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Uristocrat/Dwarven_Bathtub  , but I heard about a flowing water version, is that what I would need to *actually* protect my dwarves from Syndromes?  If so, is there an easy way to make one?  A Vomit Hummingbird snuck in through my sewage system and now I've got "frozen forgotten beast extract" all over my furniture stockpiles, so I may be in trouble....

The equipment, once wet, will transfer any contamination to the floor or adjacent wall.  So equipment sitting in a bathtub is fine.  Wall contamination is fine, you don't have to worry about that.

Contaminated bathtubs can be found loo[k]ing on the bathtub tiles.  Look for "a pile of forgotten beast extract" or "a pool of forgotten beast blood."  If you see that, you need to clean it off.

To clean a bathtub, you can either push water through it, carrying contamination off-screen, or to someplace it won't bother you, or you can drain the bathtub and clean the tile.  Depending on placement, you might not be able to get a dwarf to clean it.  You can erase the contaminant, I believe, by building a floor or ramp over it.

For minimal required oversight, you would make a bathtub made of running water that carried the goo off-screen.  That might be difficult, depending on how your water is set up, and running water usually carries some framerate cost.  I am currently planning a dwarven shower that dumps water on dwarves that enter the well room-- the goal is not just to reduce contamination of the well, but to minimize soap usage as well :)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 09:45:46 pm »

It sounds like it was an inhaled contagion so you don't have to worry about it spreading after the beast is dead but you should still take measures to clean that gear. The contaminants are more effected by temperature than clothing so a sock that gets soaked in FB toxin gets colder or hotter than it usually would making your dorfs susceptible to frostbite or melting when exposed to extreme temperatures. That was actually one of the problems in Boatmurdered IIRC

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 10:13:18 pm »

So I seem to have a similar problem.  I've got feet rotting off and I'm not sure how.  There's a decontamination pool right at the entrance from the caverns.  I have had a couple FB show up recently, and in fact the tub shows "Pool of Forgotten Beast Extract."  Unfortunately, quite a few dorfs have been through there already.  I've also noticed animals with rotting feet.

So now I have dorfs heading to the hospital long after they have been back upstairs and through the decon pool with rotting feet, and animals walking around trailing miasma.  I can only assume they are getting it from the bath, but the syndrome doesn't set in until much later?  Also one of the previous posters said that the Health screen should show a diagnosis of "FB sickness" but so far none of my rotting dorfs have had that diagnosis.  (In fact, the health screen says "No health problems" after my Master Diagnostician and High Master Surgeon/Wound Dressers have gotten done with them....)

On the plus (?) side, the masterwork Menacing Steel Spikes that I used to kill the latest FB are also coated in "Forgotten Beast Extract."  Does this mean that spiking things that are coming up the tunnel from the caverns will get the kitten rot like my poor dorfs have?  I've seen a few threads recently on whether or not FB goop on weapons does anything or not but I don't know if there was ever any real confirmation one way or the other. 

It figures that I just started the process of making soap, but have none available at the moment...
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 10:20:09 pm »

So I seem to have a similar problem.  I've got feet rotting off and I'm not sure how.  There's a decontamination pool right at the entrance from the caverns.  I have had a couple FB show up recently, and in fact the tub shows "Pool of Forgotten Beast Extract."  Unfortunately, quite a few dorfs have been through there already.  I've also noticed animals with rotting feet.

So now I have dorfs heading to the hospital long after they have been back upstairs and through the decon pool with rotting feet, and animals walking around trailing miasma.  I can only assume they are getting it from the bath, but the syndrome doesn't set in until much later?  Also one of the previous posters said that the Health screen should show a diagnosis of "FB sickness" but so far none of my rotting dorfs have had that diagnosis.  (In fact, the health screen says "No health problems" after my Master Diagnostician and High Master Surgeon/Wound Dressers have gotten done with them....)

On the plus (?) side, the masterwork Menacing Steel Spikes that I used to kill the latest FB are also coated in "Forgotten Beast Extract."  Does this mean that spiking things that are coming up the tunnel from the caverns will get the kitten rot like my poor dorfs have?  I've seen a few threads recently on whether or not FB goop on weapons does anything or not but I don't know if there was ever any real confirmation one way or the other. 

It figures that I just started the process of making soap, but have none available at the moment...
I tested it out in Arena with Gelatinous Cube contact toxin, the spears  should effectively spread the toxin. Also your contamination chamber has become a contamination chamber, get rid of it. The tainted water might be attaching itself to their feet or contaminating their socks those might conspire to make the rot happen at odd times. If you can't treat the rot and your desperate try Dwarven Surgery. Edit the raws to make serrated discs usable in upright weapon traps, equip the patient in your TOUGHEST armor over everything except the effected area, get them to stand on the trap and pull the lever. With any luck the rotted portion should be amputated if your not so lucky you're about to have alot of fun.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 12:11:28 am »

I've been thinking about decon and all this stuff (also, I will run dfclean because a FB drowned itself in a huge cave river, now it's extracts is all around that far, random place eating my FPS as if it was eating dwarves), my problem is that my river appears to bring me water laced with salt.

How can I fix this?
I tunneled and channeled a 1 tile-wide cave "tube" to provide my fortress with water, I control the this "tube" via 2 hatches.
I also got a floodgate to stop the flow (stops half-way through the tube, since I screwed up when building this and the other half flooded).
There's also a pump to slowly drain the tube in case of maintenance need, or something.

Anyway, I had a 1z-level small reservoir in which the river water falled into through the hatches..there are wall grates in the tube, and floor grates on the water's drop  "tube" too...still, water comes laced with salt.

I don't know how to take the salt out of my water. This water is where my fortress well is, and where everyone comes to clean themselves, or to get water to clean the wounded..

What I read in the wiki is that a well that gets water from a 2z-level deep reservoir or something is free of mud. (or something like that).
TL:DR: Is there any way to take salt out of water?
I'm expanding the well's reservoir and making a 2nd level for it..almost flooded the place in the process but everything is under control now.  :P
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:27:22 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 07:51:35 am »

I've been thinking about decon and all this stuff (also, I will run dfclean because a FB drowned itself in a huge cave river, now it's extracts is all around that far, random place eating my FPS as if it was eating dwarves), my problem is that my river appears to bring me water laced with salt.

How can I fix this?
I tunneled and channeled a 1 tile-wide cave "tube" to provide my fortress with water, I control the this "tube" via 2 hatches.
I also got a floodgate to stop the flow (stops half-way through the tube, since I screwed up when building this and the other half flooded).
There's also a pump to slowly drain the tube in case of maintenance need, or something.

Anyway, I had a 1z-level small reservoir in which the river water falled into through the hatches..there are wall grates in the tube, and floor grates on the water's drop  "tube" too...still, water comes laced with salt.

I don't know how to take the salt out of my water. This water is where my fortress well is, and where everyone comes to clean themselves, or to get water to clean the wounded..

What I read in the wiki is that a well that gets water from a 2z-level deep reservoir or something is free of mud. (or something like that).
TL:DR: Is there any way to take salt out of water?
I'm expanding the well's reservoir and making a 2nd level for it..almost flooded the place in the process but everything is under control now.  :P
I thought a well automatically made saltwater fresh?

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 08:45:12 am »

I tested it out in Arena with Gelatinous Cube contact toxin, the spears  should effectively spread the toxin. Also your contamination chamber has become a contamination chamber, get rid of it. The tainted water might be attaching itself to their feet or contaminating their socks those might conspire to make the rot happen at odd times. If you can't treat the rot and your desperate try Dwarven Surgery. Edit the raws to make serrated discs usable in upright weapon traps, equip the patient in your TOUGHEST armor over everything except the effected area, get them to stand on the trap and pull the lever. With any luck the rotted portion should be amputated if your not so lucky you're about to have alot of fun.

I seem to have come through this syndrome relatively unscathed.  I have two dorfs in the hospital with rotten feet.  The surgeon has already removed the rotted flesh, but he keeps going back to do more surgery for some reason.  I have my soap production line running, so I have no idea if that will make any difference.   I floored over my decon pool successfully, and without losing any masons to the foot rot.  I had a half dozen or so animals, mainly the badgers that are roaming everywhere, get foot rot, so I had most of them slaughtered.  A couple died before they could get to the butcher's, so I dumped the bodies.  At least one has the rot over every external part.  Overall I think I got off lucky.  The Master Diagnostician and High Master Surgeon/Wound Dresser probably helped.

I'm not exactly looking forward to another FB or cavern invader, but I am curious to see if my FB Extract-covered menacing spikes will successfully transfer the syndrome to invaders.
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 01:29:36 pm »

Nope, if you use t and look into the well's bucket, it still shows well laced with salt.

I've looked on the wiki that pumps desalinate water, and if water touches natural rock/stone it will turn salty again, so I'll build a mini-desalination device on my water channel, that brings water from the river.

I tried making one desalination device already but it failed, however it was 4 a.m. so I wasn't really thinking on what I was doing. heh.
It ended up looking kind of cool though..

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 03:43:57 pm »

Welp looks like Basementstricken (what an appropriate name) is doomed.  Dwarves are coming down with full-body rot left and right and I can't figure out where they're getting it from.  The only contaminant I've found has been long cleaned up.  Unless everyone's contaminated and it just takes a REALLY long time for it to manifest, I have no idea where they are catching it from.  Dorfs just suddenly cancel jobs and go to rest in the hospital.  When I examine them, every organ, bone, nervous tissue and body part is rotten and completely swollen with Urist's blood.

I kinda can't wait because I've never had a syndrome-caused fail before.  It's usually been boredom causing me to start a new fort, or some kind of early ambush/siege killing everyone.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 05:00:40 pm »

Welp looks like Basementstricken (what an appropriate name) is doomed.  Dwarves are coming down with full-body rot left and right and I can't figure out where they're getting it from.  The only contaminant I've found has been long cleaned up.  Unless everyone's contaminated and it just takes a REALLY long time for it to manifest, I have no idea where they are catching it from.  Dorfs just suddenly cancel jobs and go to rest in the hospital.  When I examine them, every organ, bone, nervous tissue and body part is rotten and completely swollen with Urist's blood.

I kinda can't wait because I've never had a syndrome-caused fail before.  It's usually been boredom causing me to start a new fort, or some kind of early ambush/siege killing everyone.

Look at the dwarves with V and examine their clothes some syndromes are long acting but I can't remember the last time I had one that didn't peak fairly quickly. If the syndrome isn't targetted then it's not surprising their being infected holistically Either way you should use burrows to create a quarantine and seal the infected away, it's super harsh to abandon your skilled workers in a tomb but it's also super dwarfy.

Nope, if you use t and look into the well's bucket, it still shows well laced with salt.

I've looked on the wiki that pumps desalinate water, and if water touches natural rock/stone it will turn salty again, so I'll build a mini-desalination device on my water channel, that brings water from the river.

I tried making one desalination device already but it failed, however it was 4 a.m. so I wasn't really thinking on what I was doing. heh.
It ended up looking kind of cool though..

I've never had a problem with using wells to survive on saltwater maps and the wiki seems to agree.

"Since the old 40d method of using a well to desalinate water still works in 0.31, building a well over the nearest natural water source is also sufficient"

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 07:13:43 pm »

Thanks for all the good advice / tips in this thread, very useful.  I *think* I've gotten my pandemic under control, using dfcleanmap from time to time and checking all my bathtubs for contaminants. 

I didn't realise about checking a well's bucket using 't', and now I see the buckets of the wells in my hospital are laced with blood and gunk, explaining why I would get some "no available water source" cancellations earlier. 
Is there any way to clean a contaminated well, if the bucket is "laced with Urist McHemorrhage'd blood" or similar things? 
Also, I found a few buckets in the hospital containing "water laced with salt," despite not being near an ocean, and the only water source I know of is the brook nearby which isn't salt; we've been drinking out of it for years.
 Any known ways for salt to spawn/ buckets to get contaminated with salt on their own? 

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 10:44:31 pm »

Exactly the issue I'm getting xen0n, also Broseph, maybe wells only work for saltwater (water from the ocean)?

The water I'm getting from comes from a river which the walls and floor are made of natural rocks, so my guess is that even though it's not ocean water (saltwater) it's still being laced with some amounts of salt.

My well's bucket show that the water is laced with salt, and dwarves that are cleaned still gets some minor infections, so it really looks like this water is not "pure" enough..

"Purify with magma", since I don't have magma around, I'll build a mini desalination plant. Heh.
Xen0n, I'll post it here when it's done, because I'm also taking water from a brook (the river..that has a brook above it).

It may take some work/time to build (at least for me, since I'm building a castle), but this will be my first complete, awesome fortress. It NEEDS MAGIC.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4