Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Beast sickness (Syndrome w/ Blistering and impaired function) question  (Read 13773 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: Beast sickness (Syndrome w/ Blistering and impaired function) question
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2011, 06:19:01 pm »

I may just be unlucky (first fort, first Syndrome), but the Beast sickness is more irritating than anything.  I'd much prefer it if it had, say, wiped out my fort or something, but since it's non-fatal, unavoidably contagious, impossible to clean away (run dfcleanmap twice a month to no avail, keeps showing up in my bathtubs.), and damages the feet and eyes, it's more of a "Slow-mo mode" that a plague.  Basically it just makes doing anything take forever because of how slow and crippled all my dwarves are; I'm contemplating abandoning but it just doesn't sit well with me that my very first fortress in DF does NOT end in a cascade of blood and violence.

I started this game after reading BoatMurdered, and I want to have FUN, darnit!  My population just hovers between 40 and 80 or so because I can't seem to find a way (without danger rooms :P) to train my military to the point where they aren't slaughtered at Goblin Christmas.   Maybe I spent too much time reading the wiki and not enough time provoking elves, but at this rate (10 years into my first fort ever!) it looks everything has plateaued and I'll have blind, footless dwarves creating masterwork sandstone amulets until the end of time.
Perhaps I'm asking the wrong questions.... any tips on how to 'unintentionally' destroy my fort?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2011, 06:36:56 pm »

I may just be unlucky (first fort, first Syndrome), but the Beast sickness is more irritating than anything.  I'd much prefer it if it had, say, wiped out my fort or something, but since it's non-fatal, unavoidably contagious, impossible to clean away (run dfcleanmap twice a month to no avail, keeps showing up in my bathtubs.), and damages the feet and eyes, it's more of a "Slow-mo mode" that a plague.  Basically it just makes doing anything take forever because of how slow and crippled all my dwarves are; I'm contemplating abandoning but it just doesn't sit well with me that my very first fortress in DF does NOT end in a cascade of blood and violence.

I started this game after reading BoatMurdered, and I want to have FUN, darnit!  My population just hovers between 40 and 80 or so because I can't seem to find a way (without danger rooms :P) to train my military to the point where they aren't slaughtered at Goblin Christmas.   Maybe I spent too much time reading the wiki and not enough time provoking elves, but at this rate (10 years into my first fort ever!) it looks everything has plateaued and I'll have blind, footless dwarves creating masterwork sandstone amulets until the end of time.
Perhaps I'm asking the wrong questions.... any tips on how to 'unintentionally' destroy my fort?

Your fortress is blind and crippled and you have nowhere near the military strength to break a siege. Don't you see? The Fun was inside you all along.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »

Your fortress is blind and crippled and you have nowhere near the military strength to break a siege. Don't you see? The Fun was inside you all along.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So quottable.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2011, 10:05:44 am »

[Your fortress is blind and crippled and you have nowhere near the military strength to break a siege. Don't you see? The Fun was inside you all along.

Okay that's a great way to look at things, I chuckled at that.  I suppose my problem is, crippled and blind though they may be, they still manage to survive all the sieges and Titans (sometimes barely).  Am I too defensive, or are my "Daredevil" style handi-dwarves too hardcore?

BornInATrailer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2011, 02:21:16 pm »

So everyone is blind... in your fort of "Obscurelens?"  Guess you should have seen that coming.  Hah!

Sorry.  I'll go roll around in the extract as penance.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]