Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play: Darkest Hour  (Read 2406 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Let's Play: Darkest Hour
« on: April 25, 2014, 06:49:57 pm »

For those unaware, Darkest Hour is a grand strategy game published by Paradox Interactive. Set in the early 20th century, the game features multiple scenarios, from WW1 to 1933, 1936, all the way up to the downfall of the Third Reich.

Though it was published by Paradox, they did not actually make the game. The engine that HoI2 runs on was made available for people to create games off of, and a group of modders set out to remake Hearts of Iron 2 into something... a little more robust, and including the Great War. Instead of driven entirely by events, the game designers managed to create a decision system, like in EU3! So now, instead of waiting for certain events to fire and twiddling your thumbs, or perhaps being caught off guard, you can enable certain key aspects of the War when you are ready! Coupled with an entirely new map, and a few ease-of-use interface tweaks and how the game calculates certain aspects, it's like an entirely new game. Because it is! Darkest Hour.

The game, like it's predecessor Hearts of Iron 2 (and like pretty much every Paradox game) allows you to take control of any country that was independent in each scenario. From the British Raj as a puppet of the Empire, to the Third Reich itself, to Communist China or one of the warlords, to my home and native land, Canada, any country that had self-government at the time can be controlled by the player! Industry, warfare, technologies, they are at your fingertips to play the artillery-barrage and field-march songs of the War to End All Wars.

That said, this is where you come in! I have a few ideas of countries I might play, but I'm leaving it (mostly) up to you! I'm not that good at the game. I understand a good deal of it, but when it comes to making plans, I'm not... the greatest. So I'll lay out a few of my favoured choices, and you can pick from among them, or if you have a better idea, I'll see what I can do.

First up would be, of course, Germany. Basically Easy Mode, especially if you start in 1936 and know how to build up.

Then I'd consider France or perhaps Britain. France would be interesting to try and stem the tide of the Wehrmacht early, and Britain because the Royal Navy would fend off any German incursions while I build up to take the beaches.

Then Italy, under the Muscleman Mussolini. Dude was a failure, even I could do better than him. Albania? Seriously?

Brazil is one option, too. It's in a good position to dominate the South American continent, and I BELIEVE they can join the Axis fairly easily. Might be Argentina, but it's not much harder to invade it's neighbors.

After that, there's the Soviet Union, Nationalist China or perhaps Communist China if you're feeling particularly wretched, Japan, Spain, or Yugoslavia.

As I said, if you have a better idea for a country I can play, feel free. Special mention goes towards certain countries, though. USA? No. Not gonna deal with the bloody Yanks. Boring-ass game, almost purely event driven until 1942. Plus, navies aren't my strong suit. Also, Poland? I MIGHT consider the Polska, but I'm almost certainly doomed and the game would not be that long, even with a trial-run to see what's what.

Other countries I won't play are basically the ones you can't do jack-shit with. The Raj -might- fall under this, depending on what I can do as a puppet. Austria, Czechs, Hungary, Greece, Albania, they're all out. Nearly nothing to do as one of them, can't influence anything, and they're basically there as cannon fodder in the face of the Wehrmacht and/or Red Army.

So I leave it to you, dear friends! Who shall we take to the heights of glory? Or, more likely, the depths of foul defeat. :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Darkest Hour
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 06:51:03 pm »

reserved for traitors to the reich links to episodes :3
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 06:55:48 pm »

Either Britain because I like aeroplanes or Russia because Bears.

My opinions are neither complex nor well-informed.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 09:32:38 am »

It'd be interesting to play as France or Germany and see if we can do better than their historical counterparts.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 12:44:02 pm »

I'm less interested in playing Germany since it's been done so often, but France would definitely be fun, if I can manage to hold the line against the sourkrauts.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 01:30:05 pm »

... Austria, Hungary... they're basically there as cannon fodder in the face of the Red Army.

Are these countries significantly changed from HoI2? They seemed like decent little tagalongs for Germany in that game.

Anyway, go with Italy!
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 01:46:08 pm »

Austria gets annexed almost every game in the Anschluss, Hungary is a tag-along for Germany, yes. They expand a little but but no real opportunity to make a difference. Romania kind of gets eaten by Germany and/or the Red Army, especially on Furious AI aggression, because of all their oil.

Playing one of the minor Balkan countries, except for some extraordinary circumstances, would not be very entertaining as a let's play :P

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 04:08:58 pm »

Playing one of the minor Balkan countries, except for some extraordinary circumstances, would not be very entertaining as a let's play :P
DO EEET
Though I'm biased by the fact that I live in one of those minor countries, but you should still DO EEET :P

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 02:57:16 pm »

So at this point, I'm thinking I should play one of the Allies. Perhaps France or Britain.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 10:34:50 am »

I'd like to see you play Germany and try to take the UK.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rabid_Cog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 11:39:52 am »

There is only one solution. You must play as Zimbabwe and quietly conquer the entire African Continent while the rest of the world screws around with their little 'world war'.

On a more serious note, is it even possible to play as an african country? Could be a nice new angle, and the rest of the world should be too busy to interfere with your plans.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 11:49:20 am »

There is only one solution. You must play as Zimbabwe and quietly conquer the entire African Continent while the rest of the world screws around with their little 'world war'.

On a more serious note, is it even possible to play as an african country? Could be a nice new angle, and the rest of the world should be too busy to interfere with your plans.
You can play Liberia, Ethiopia, or South Africa, if I recall.  World War 2 is pre-decolonization, so most of Africa is still under the rule of mighty whitey. 

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 02:02:58 pm »

Argentine and make the rest of the South America puppets of the junta.  :P