Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unsung Story - A Kickstarter from the creator of Final Fantasy Tactics  (Read 4620 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unsung Story - A Kickstarter from the creator of Final Fantasy Tactics
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 09:26:44 pm »

Hmm. Yeah, I've been reluctant to back anything else lately too. But this might need to be an exception.

Yes, this is pretty much mandatory.  Plus Banner Saga made me all excited about backing games again.
Banner Saga is like... one of the first, if not the first kickstarter that we saw 'explode'.  So it has been a long time coming.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 09:30:32 pm »

Yes, it's been what, almost two years??  But the wait is nice, provided you don't mind the email junk you get from kickstarter.  I like knowing nothing at all about what's going on with development and just getting the finished product 18 months later.  Makes me feel like a kid again, before the internet, when you read about games in magazines and imagined how they would be and then it blew your mind when you finally played it.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 09:32:34 pm »

I dunno. The premise is of course interesting, but there's a couple things that worry me.

For one, their whole pitch sounds very... used car salesmany. Talking about how their refreshing, immersive take on complex and rich game worlds through their immersive player controlled camera will involve YOU, the player makes me cringe and wonder exactly how hard they feel they need to sell this thing. Backer classes aren't helping either.

For another, the overarching pivotal-but-forgotten thing sounds interesting, but I have to wonder what that means about your guys. Do levels, classes, and ability decisions carry over from one chapter to the next, so you're basically playing with the same squad in all but name, and maybe even that? Or do you start over every few stages, possibly even with entirely handcrafted minions to begin with? I tend to greatly prefer gameplay to story concerns, but this sounds like it might be swinging the exact opposite direction; we know a fair deal about the story and almost nothing about the mechanics, and one of the things we know about the former sounds worrisome for the latter.

I'd like to be excited, but knowing almost nothing except "it's a tactical RPG, by this guy who's done other tactical RPGs" just doesn't tell me enough, and the rest makes me nervous.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 09:41:04 pm »

For one, their whole pitch sounds very... used car salesmany. Talking about how their refreshing, immersive take on complex and rich game worlds through their immersive player controlled camera will involve YOU, the player makes me cringe and wonder exactly how hard they feel they need to sell this thing. Backer classes aren't helping either.

I found this annoying as shit as well. Dear reader, if you're going to run a Kickstarter, observe the following maxim: don't be a douche. Don't fellate the potential backer with CAPS about how THIS CAN'T HAPPEN without THEM. This is because Kickstarter is no longer new. Anyone who has backed a project has had that line thrown at by every. single. game that wants their money. It lacks sincerity when you say it 150 times in one pitch.

And in the case of Unsung, when you bold half of every sentence it robs the formatting of its power to draw attention. It makes it look like you don't know what you're doing, or you're 12 and seconds away from turning on capslock and spewing gibberish. Don't do it.

For another, the overarching pivotal-but-forgotten thing sounds interesting, but I have to wonder what that means about your guys. Do levels, classes, and ability decisions carry over from one chapter to the next, so you're basically playing with the same squad in all but name, and maybe even that? Or do you start over every few stages, possibly even with entirely handcrafted minions to begin with?

Played Final Fantasy Tactics? You should be familiar with the technique if you have. You'll start as a character, play some known amount of scenarios and their story is going to end. There will be another chapter, with an entirely new character and supporting cast, either playing the same battle from the other side or playing new battles that fill in other parts of the story. Your previous characters will probably make an appearance either as enemies or recruits.

The way it's pitched it definitely sounds less like having one persistent army, and more about a series of episodes made up of battle and story arcs. So while it may not have the obsessive joy of micromanaging the same troops for 40 hours like FFT, it'll probably change up gameplay a little bit more.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:17:46 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 12:16:35 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seD0iU0d-Vo

Well it should surprise no one this didn't pan out. Something like $660,000 dollars down the tubes. The developer has bailed, and turned development over to another dev studio, Little Orbit, whose main claim to fame is making....Barbie games. They say they're starting from scratch.

Glad I decided not to back this one. Chalk up another one for "dev heroes from your childhood that let you down in the 21st century."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:19:55 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 09:52:40 pm »

Very disappointing. I didn't remember this thread, so I entered and read the OP and was like "Awesome!"

And then I saw your post and realized I'm 3 years later to the party and would be let down even if I'd been there.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 09:44:01 am »

Yeah...there is a slim chance we'll get something decent out of it, but I'm not expecting much.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 01:28:43 pm »

Glad I decided not to back this one. Chalk up another one for "dev heroes from your childhood that let you down in the 21st century."

Couldn't have said it better myself.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 05:52:55 pm »

Unfortunate. I look forward to the unfolding drama and varying estimates of what exactly went wrong.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 01:37:35 pm »

Well, no idea how well this is going to turn out in the end but I have to hand it to Little Orbit, they seem to be making an honest attempt at it. Lots of backer updates on what they are doing and how they are handling things, including some new concept art today.

They seem to be going back to the idea of making a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics, which I'm all for.

So, who knows, they may not be a disaster after all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 11:47:58 am »

If they can turn out a decent FFT-like nostalgia trip with a story no more ridiculous and nonsensical than the original, then it might be worth grabbing on sale.  Better than nothing.

Hell, maybe they'll even turn a profit.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, looks like this thing is moving along. I haven't been paying too close attention, but for anyone who is interested there is a stream of the first 3 missions.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/638353323

I haven't watched it, since I prefer to go into games like these unspoiled. But figured people might be interested.
Come play Mafia with us!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While visually it looks nice, I'm not sure I like the overall style.
Pages: 1 [2]