Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 74

Author Topic: Fallen London : Explore Neil Gaiman's Victorian London ... in your browser!  (Read 137741 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen London : Explore Neil Gaiman's Victorian London ... in your browser!
« Reply #1005 on: January 15, 2017, 10:43:28 pm »

I might move into the Foreign Office eventually.  It sounds like a natural progression of the Great Game, but I don't know yet.  Which is a lot of the fun.

Frivolously, sometimes I imagine this when I succeed at a Very Chancy shadowy check:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF4tq7zg6s8

Also my friend is sharing some crazy screenshots stuff from "A PLACE WHERE THERE IS VERY LITTLE SCREAMING".
In many ways it's like Polythreme, I assume (haven't been in Fallen London, just Sunless Sea).  But it's wrong.  It's wrong.
Polythreme was already wrong.  Maybe I didn't realize how much.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 16, 2017, 08:38:04 pm »

I'd worked up my An Intimate With Devils a little while ago, and now, the time has come for a serious offer. I've been skirting the issue for a while, but I think it's time to make a decision. Is it worth entertaining their offer, or should I refuse outright?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 16, 2017, 11:59:54 pm »

What is sold can be very difficult to reclaim.  The souls of those of Significant Interest can be sold for something like 10x more after some work.  Retain your soul if you intend to Seek the greatest of truths.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 17, 2017, 10:47:04 am »

I ended up using one of my moods on Shadowy to pass a couple hard checks and open up the Flit.

My Shadowy and Persuasive are lagging behind quite a bit, mostly because I don't consider either burglary or poetry to be at all in-character for my perilous and insightful lady... :P

It's a shame on the Persuasive, since there are definitely situations where I prefer to take the talky rather than stabby approach, but my stats are too low for it to work very often...

It seems a bit strange that a game that should in theory promote role-playing seems to instead more-or-less force homogeneity among characters if you want to progress past a certain point. Though I've only been playing for a couple weeks, so maybe I've gotten the wrong impression somehow...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 17, 2017, 10:56:25 am »

Yeah kinda agreed.  I was so excited to get that mood because it meant my character didn't have to keep doing brutish things, which was bothering me.  It's easy to justify raising watchful when you're a charismatic spy-thief who moves in high society, but punching rats and poisoning spiders?  Little weird.

I guess I wrote it off as "putting in my dues" as a newbie criminal.  Characters do change.  But it does seem homogenizing, yeah.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 17, 2017, 12:36:23 pm »

FWIW, you will end up maxing all stats by doing all the storylines. There simply isn't an entire game built around each of the traits, and many big "stories" will call for a variety of skills.

The long and short of what I'm saying is: I started as a thief and ended up as a rat-punching socialite
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:55:54 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 17, 2017, 02:25:33 pm »

Frivolously, sometimes I imagine this when I succeed at a Very Chancy shadowy check:
https://youtu.be/WdJg6Duzzf4
FTFY.

Is it worth entertaining their offer, or should I refuse outright?
To get out of the contract, you either need great Fate and effort, or simply great luck. I personally had great luck after trying long enough.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 20, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »

I finally hit 100 in all my stats, so I've now become a Significant Individual. The sudden vomiting of content onto me is kind of wonderful; there's so much to do, and not in the bad, grindy way. I haven't had this much content unlocked at once since the beginning! As much as I want to dive into Foreign Office, and buy a ship, and join a Club, and all the other new content, I feel like I should poke around the University and Mahogany Hall first, (not to mention unlocking the Labyrinth of Tigers) as I just unlocked them a few days ago.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 24, 2017, 11:06:48 pm »

Same here, honestly.
Protip:  Crafting the bejewelled lens for the Sexy Jewel Thief is a trap.  It was very dear, yet only brought me from 1 to 2.  If you've managed to notability, which unlocks the advanced professions, I bet we're better off spending free evenings on him.  Or whoever.

Urgh...  That diamond was a level above ostentatious.  Red border...  I should have kept the lens.
She/they

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 25, 2017, 11:27:32 am »

Is there any compelling reason to buy multiple lodgings?

I bought the lair in the marshes early on, and just noticed I could afford a few other low-end ones now... I'm just not sure if there's any point?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 25, 2017, 11:42:02 am »

Some (all?) of them have a unique storylet or two.  Some allow you to have more cards than others.  The 'secret' lodgings (you'll know them if/when you find them) allow you to avoid certain cards, city vices to be specific.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 25, 2017, 12:29:47 pm »

Having extra lodgings gives extra opportunities. Some of them aren't that good, but they are a semi-reliable source of certifiable scrap.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 25, 2017, 01:54:28 pm »

Is there any compelling reason to buy multiple lodgings?
I had to buy a specific one to progress along a story. Don't remember which story, though.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 28, 2017, 09:41:34 pm »

It's kinda weird that the mobile app has music per area, and a better Bazaar menu (no pages, only scrolling).  I don't suppose there's a way to enable music in the main version?
Because otherwise the mobile version is just better (except that the app has a tendency to fail syncing if left open too long, then loaded).
Some of the tunes are quite nice, much like Sunless Sea but urban.
She/they

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 02, 2017, 06:38:15 pm »

Thanks to the kickstarter hitting a tier, there is a link for 3 three darkdrop coffees.  30 turns, not shabby!
Maybe save them for a good mood...  Or don't :P
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/a/sskies_3darkdrop
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 74