Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 74

Author Topic: Fallen London : Explore Neil Gaiman's Victorian London ... in your browser!  (Read 136760 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen London : Explore Neil Gaiman's Victorian London ... in your browser!
« Reply #1020 on: February 05, 2017, 06:16:07 am »

So I decided to take a look at Fallen London now that there's a fancy new kickstarter for sunless skies, generating publicity and such. The natural result is now Fallen London is draining my very life force, and dare I say, my will to not pay money in order to wait less. But at least it's doing so very slowly, so slowly that I won't realize until it's too late that Fallen London has consumed my life and replaced it.
And free coffee! Yay!

My character is "Ocean ^_^", in case someone wants to gank the newby.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 05, 2017, 08:12:40 am »

The clear solution is to play Sunless Sea in the interim period, although I've found that Sunless Sea overall is best played as 1 long voyage per day.

Conversely, I should probably play Fallen London myself at some point.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: February 05, 2017, 04:06:42 pm »

I'm so glad I'm done with FL. It had me checking in like every hour two years straight.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: February 15, 2017, 10:53:35 pm »

So, I'm currently enjoying my first Feast of the Exceptional Rose.

I'm contemplating getting a tattoo... I've only been playing for a month and a half, though, so many of the more interesting ones are still locked for me (and I don't have much context for them anyway). Of the ones I have available, I'm currently leaning towards the Fallen Rat, since my character is currently a ratcatcher and I'm a fan of rats besides. My first pick was the Zee-Monster, but I haven't met the requirements for it yet...

Does anyone know how long I have to make a decision (and maybe try to unlock more possibilities) before the option disappears?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: February 16, 2017, 10:31:11 pm »

Oh it's actually deep in the the Exceptional Rose post:
The Feast will end on the 20th February. The Lady in Lilac and Encounters at the Feast will remain available until the 24th, after which your remaining Masquing will be converted to Making Waves when Time, the Healer visits.
I didn't see it before either.
So that's the 24th for the tattoo, but first you need to reach 9 (8 might work?) in the storyline for Clathermont's missing "daughter".  Then visit Clathermont again I think, then manage to draw the card, which took me like 40-60 card draws... once I needed it :P

Anyway, I went ahead and got my tattoo!  Mechanically it doesn't really matter what you get (they're all 1 bizarre or dreaded, or 1 respectable if you decline).  I went for the devilbone dice, because...
Well partly to honor RNGoddess, that devilish vixen.  But also because my character just hit 0 connection: devils yesterday, and plans to keep it that way, and this seemed like an apt reminder.
I could have taken some of the things with auspicious requirements, but I wanted this one.

Edit: Link
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: February 17, 2017, 10:29:58 am »

So I got into this.  It's pretty good, albeit taking up too much of my time.  Made it to 50 in every stat though, and level 4 for every starting quest thing (Like a name whispered in darkness, etc.)

Anyway, fun so far.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: February 19, 2017, 10:27:48 am »

While pursuing the War of Assassins, I tried to take a little rest in the Flit:
Quote from: Whelks?
You lean against a cold slate roof, lost in thought. Someone drops a barrel of whelks on your head.
I know the RNG is the RNG and all, but this was just silly after the third time in a row.  Much less the sixth.  64% chance of success my dapper a__.  Bad Altitude, indeed.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: February 19, 2017, 03:39:54 pm »

I'm so glad I'm done with FL. It had me checking in like every hour two years straight.

The first week or two off of it were hard, but looking back freedom is so sweet...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: February 20, 2017, 04:42:02 pm »

So I filled Dawn Machine supremacy in Sunless Sea...
Okay so the Bazaar is pretty cool for an eldritch thing.  And usually I go full London because HAIL BRITANNIA.  But despite all the very heavily sinister messages, surely light isn't THAT bad.

*actually go outside IRL* I've made a terrible mistake.

Not to mention my Menace: sunlight is like 120 now, that can not be good.  Maybe I should stay underground for a bit.
Spend some time with my family OH WAIT, SALT MURDERED THEM... Sorta??
She/they

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: February 20, 2017, 05:30:58 pm »

Welcome to Sunless Sea. I'm doing a play through right now... Keep thinking each journey will be my last money-wise so I can sail behind the dawn machine before retiring, but I keep making a thousand or two echoes!!! Ugh, this guy will never die! Now I have to deliver shit for Mr. sacks!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: February 27, 2017, 07:21:37 pm »

Now that I've been playing for a couple of months...

I remember when I started, it was mentioned that you can occasionally get free fate as rewards in the game. I only just now actually encountered some... a whopping 2 fate for finishing the cheesemonger's storyline.

As someone who is likely to remain a F2P player forever, does anyone know how much fate one can actually acquire without spending money? Is it enough to actually unlock any major fate-locked content? If so, is there anything in particular that would be best to prioritize spending your free fate on?

...I'm still actually upset about the destiny thing, even nearly two months later, so part of me wants to hope I can pull together the 25 fate to reset it. But I also recognize it'd be really stupid to pass up actual content for something so minor... :/ ugh.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:25:40 pm by DeKaFu »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 27, 2017, 07:33:43 pm »

Ohh, so that's how I got that fate.
I'm a PoS I (Notability 4) and I think I only ever got 4.  Spent two on picnics in the old quarter, heh.

I'm an exceptional friend, which means I get a free story every month, and I think that's worthwhile...  Largely for the second candle, but that is tempered by the exceptional stories which are pretty sweet treats (perhaps due to the anticipation, but even still).

I haven't bought fate.  And if I do, it'll only be to buy one of the fate-locked stories.  And considering it'll probably be months from now, I'm okay with that slooow funding of a game I enjoy.

But no, unlike some games, "premium" currency is basically cash-only here.  Sorry.

Though honestly the early game is plenty content-rich, with most higher content feeling like "Oh?  You're still here?  Then have content wherein you're a prominent member of society".  Which is a pretty nice way of doing it, maybe.
She/they

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 28, 2017, 08:52:15 am »

You'll never have enough free Fate to unlock a good Fate story. You might as well quit once you finish all the F2P content if you don't pay, rather than grind forever like some people here.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Probably helps a lot that my gaming group plays.  So when I grind up "Hellbound" by repeatedly betraying the Fidgeting Writer, I can show that off in our periodic "why would you do this" discussions.  Or "Hey check out this awesome new nightmare I found, haha".

Anyway, posting to say I kinda like how, since Notability 5, my interaction with Slowcake's Amanuensis has been 99% just staring at him until he mutters some German and leaves.
I'm such a bully.
Though really it's his fault for taking up my time (cards).  I'm a PoS Importance, after all!

Protip I didn't notice until recently:  Summoning the Amanuensis from your lodgings is free if you have sufficient MW to advance a Notability.  I assumed it was a fate thing, but no, only takes an action.  So his visits really are pretty much a waste...

Oh also, maybe we're collectively crazy, but my group just realized that you can "overbook" private dinners now.  It only uses up the free evenings when the invitation is accepted by the other party, and it of course it fails if one party has none left.  There's probably a changelog somewhere we could check, but meh.

It's kinda funny how we've paired up to trade free evenings.  Using them for private suppers (or in one case, marriage stuff) is really handy, since they don't accumulate, just reset to 5 every week.  My persuasive is actually almost caught up with my incognito, almost entirely by trading in the Confident Smiles from private suppers.  Which is ridiculous considering how much I ground Wilmot's End for Whirring Contraptions (I got 2 dramatic tension from Playing The Game, then sought the woman to cash in).

There sure is a lot of content, though.  I just got thrown out of the University, and I'm not even upset because the writing was quite good.  I even regret my choice somewhat.  Now to earn my way back, with my zubmarine...
She/they

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Sadly, about the University:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 74