Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What kind of material-based creatures should be a priority to add?

Wooden golems (just made of wood)
- 2 (2%)
Tree creatures (supernaturally living, replacing hair and such with leaves)
- 32 (31.7%)
Other plant creatures
- 6 (5.9%)
Metallic golems (allowing all metals)
- 16 (15.8%)
Stone golems
- 8 (7.9%)
Glass golems
- 2 (2%)
Flesh/organ golems
- 15 (14.9%)
Blood/alcohol golems
- 11 (10.9%)
Magma creatures
- 9 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: [0.47.0X] [Python 2.7+] Random Raw Scripts - The stay frosty update  (Read 93262 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [0.42.06] Random Raw Scripts - Random entities
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2016, 04:19:29 pm »

Thanks, that looks good, and I'm glad you like the results. :)

I'll have to take a closer look at those two issues later though, mostly the body file thing. The weapons crash is bad (it's supposed to handle modded weapons, and I have no problems with Direforged's weapons), but I can think of two potential points of failure. The GUI not generating a body file though is puzzling. As far as I can tell, there should be no way for the script to fail writing that file, but then succeed at writing all those other files, so that's concerting.
I dont know why I didnt have one. All I know is that I didnt have one, ran it again, got one. Maybe I did something wrong.

I voted on the golems btw. Rock, Gem and Metal golems should be easy to make.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hexatona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2016, 03:22:07 pm »

Does anyone else ever just make the random civilizations controllable and play as them instead?

As long as you generate all their items, its usually not a problem.

The only thing that generally doesn't work out is having the wooden training weapons (so, you couldn't turn your wagon into training axes for a zero points embark)  but otherwise it's pretty fun!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:06:34 pm by Hexatona »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2016, 07:28:15 am »

Heh. Training weapons essentially get skipped right now - the script just gives the civ the training weapon back if it stumbles upon one. I might go and give civilizations training versions of their weapons later.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2016, 07:42:09 pm »

this mod is scary!  :o

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2016, 05:38:14 pm »

I've started updating the random raw scripts. The first thing I did was making sure the scripts don't choke on the Masterwork mod (which should improve their usability for all mods). That involved a few steps -
  • Added a loop that forces random eye colors of beasts to be one that uses an actual color (there is either an PUPIL_EYE_SAPPHIRE or IRIS_EYE_SAPPHIRE, but no SAPPHIRE color)
  • Made the script searching for translation files among language files look deeper into the file.
  • Fixed a long-standing bug in determining the additional names of a creature that never occured in vanilla.
  • Fixed the main expected problem that the script reads the comments in a line.
  • Fixed a less expected problem that some non-clothing/armor items have additional tags like FORCED on them.

There'll be more changes and additions before I upload the new version, but for this time, I'll keep that list short.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: [0.43.05] Random Raw Scripts - Random entities
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2017, 05:41:16 am »

The random raw scripts have been updated. This is mostly a behind-the-scenes update, fixing several bugs and problems that the Masterwork mod has revealed, so the scripts should be more usable for mods now. There are two new types of creatures now, though - drakes and undertortoises.

Changelogs:

Beasts of Myth
# v1.47
# Added undertortoises as underground reptiles and drakes as aboveground flying reptiles
# Made the eye color choice a loop that sorts out eye color patterns that don't refer to actual colors.
# Fixed a long-standing bug in determining the additional names of a creature that never occured in vanilla.
# Fixed a bug that gave venomous leeches attacks that use teeth.

Entity Creatures
# v 0.48
# Handled cases in which certain item lines have commentary following them, or in which WEAPON/DIGGER tokens had unneccesary FORCED tokens.
# Added handling the potential that an entity may get an executioner position without having weapons to execute with.
# Added the possibility for the STRANGE_MOODS token to occur in preparation of the next DF version (post 43.05), and the script always generates always at least 1 (creature goal 'M').
# Finished the personality facet sentences.

Random Vermin
# 0.77
# Fixed a bug that caused uniform-tissue leeches to have necks and throats.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2017, 02:52:24 am »

Hey Knight, great job on the scripts, I think it's amazing how much they are capable of breathing new life into the game.

I've recently been getting into learning how to code in python so I've taken to modifying your scripts slightly in order to learn and gain experience.

I've actually been able to add a fair bit myself though my novice code undoubtedly is a lot clunkier than yours on average.

Most of my additions have been small stuff like adding some additional words from language files to the recognized adjectives and symbols, but I have also coded a couple of small features like giving egglaying webspinners the ability to lay spinnable silk eggs, or giving alcohol adjective creatures brew-able extracts.
I'm currently trying to wrap up a new feature that modifies creatures with machinery affiliated adjectives into gender-less metallic(gas-filled) automatons that can reproduce on their own very slowly and produce a moderate amount of metals(For example, base creatures that would normally lay eggs instead law bars of their composite metal).

I thought you or others might be interested in me sharing this stuff and I'd like to contribute, so I'm asking if you'd like to incorporate any of this into your scripts officially, or if you'd be more comfortable with me curating my own branch.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2017, 12:42:57 pm »

I'd certainly be interested in the updated words and possibly the alcoholic extracts, less so in the silk "eggs" or automatons. I'd think it would be best to keep separate branches and merge what we like from each other.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2017, 04:20:52 pm »

I'd certainly be interested in the updated words and possibly the alcoholic extracts, less so in the silk "eggs" or automatons. I'd think it would be best to keep separate branches and merge what we like from each other.

I have just the modifications that make the generation of brew-able milk creatures in the folder here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByVsQCh9_uAMbHBfVzNHTE1aQkU
I also gave them the tag 'v' for testing purposes so I could ensure they were generated.

I made it so the changes you specified to make random-gen bee-honey brewable makes this work too. I tested it and the dwarves will brew it no problem.

I also don't think I described the "silk eggs" very accurately. They're actually completely normal functional eggs, that hatch, can be cooked, etc. The only difference between them and normal eggs is that if Kazoo's silk eggs mod is installed (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149293.msg6094898#msg6094898) they can be spun at the modded workshop.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2017, 11:06:30 am »

I actually understood what you meant with the silk eggs, I know of that mod.

I've looked at your sweetmilk addition and it looks like a fun addition, though I'd still need your modified sphal_data (and/or beast_myth_const) files to fully add it and the expanded symbols/adjectives (with credit of course).
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2017, 01:54:52 pm »

I've looked at your sweetmilk addition and it looks like a fun addition, though I'd still need your modified sphal_data (and/or beast_myth_const) files to fully add it and the expanded symbols/adjectives (with credit of course).

I actually made sweetmilk without any edits to sphal_data, the alcohol adjectives were already there just not used.

I'm still in the process of fleshing out fleshing out the adjectives section(I keep getting distracted by wanting to code new traits attached to them), I think I've added words to around 50 pre-existing categories so far, mostly stuff that makes sense like adding livid to anger_prone, or fortress to body_shell.

I had I had an idea for an adjective based creature trait I wanted to ask you about.

Currently there are words for every weapon type, sword/dagger/axe and whatnot, I think it would be relatively simple to give creatures an upgraded natural attack with attack type, contact area, and penetration matching their respective weapon words.

Do you think this is worth pursuing?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 02:08:30 pm by LCastillo »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2017, 03:35:37 pm »

I actually made sweetmilk without any edits to sphal_data, the alcohol adjectives were already there just not used.
Man, the months without a computer really are showing. Yeah, I remember now why I added that adjective list.

I'm still in the process of fleshing out fleshing out the adjectives section(I keep getting distracted by wanting to code new traits attached to them), I think I've added words to around 50 pre-existing categories so far, mostly stuff that makes sense like adding livid to anger_prone, or fortress to body_shell.
Sounds good.

I had I had an idea for an adjective based creature trait I wanted to ask you about.

Currently there are words for every weapon type, sword/dagger/axe and whatnot, I think it would be relatively simple to give creatures an upgraded natural attack with attack type, contact area, and penetration matching their respective weapon words.

Do you think this is worth pursuing?
I had added the idea of "sabre"-tooth creatures to my notes during my hiatus without clear mechanics (just the potential to have it as an oddity or as a feature), and your idea is a possible implementation of that, so sure, go for it.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2017, 11:54:42 pm »

Just an update, I've gone through the first thousand words in language_words, which is roughly half. I'm onto the next thousand now.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2017, 11:33:01 am »

Question, how do you go about choosing names for your random creatures? I am trying to generate names for my random creature generator but I either get too many that are close together, or ones that are just weird.

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2017, 02:11:05 pm »

Question, how do you go about choosing names for your random creatures? I am trying to generate names for my random creature generator but I either get too many that are close together, or ones that are just weird.

You could just rename them yourself in the raws, that would take a long time for a lot of creatures. Name generation is dealt with in the sphal.py script if you want to try to change generation yourself.

What's exactly your problem with the names? I know that eye striking feature is annoyingly common and often makes little sense, paddleeye, dooreye, boateye, etc...  It's also pretty cool sometimes though crimsoneye, bloodeye...

Anyway,

I've got a personal solution for it that sort of filters out combos that don't make sense and if you can tell me the type of names bothering you I'm willing to try make an edit for you too.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12