Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What kind of material-based creatures should be a priority to add?

Wooden golems (just made of wood)
- 2 (2%)
Tree creatures (supernaturally living, replacing hair and such with leaves)
- 32 (31.7%)
Other plant creatures
- 6 (5.9%)
Metallic golems (allowing all metals)
- 16 (15.8%)
Stone golems
- 8 (7.9%)
Glass golems
- 2 (2%)
Flesh/organ golems
- 15 (14.9%)
Blood/alcohol golems
- 11 (10.9%)
Magma creatures
- 9 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: [0.47.0X] [Python 2.7+] Random Raw Scripts - The stay frosty update  (Read 93270 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: [0.43.05] Random Raw Scripts - Random entities
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2017, 04:13:53 pm »

Well, I'm looking forward to the results. :)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2017, 03:10:05 am »

Well I've got proof of concept in new versions of random_scripts_gui.py and myth_beasts_construct.py.

I've done everything in the 'domestic' graphics file so far, and I've added creatures to beasts_construct for all the creatures that there were tiles for that weren't in beast_words yet.

I guess this means that when I'm done I'll have added every animal in vanilla df into beast_construct that isn't already in there.

It creates a graphics file and then saves it in the actual graphics folder, which I thought was pretty nifty (though it did take about 45 minutes for me to figure out. :'( )

I wanted it to be compatible with as broad a range of graphics sets as possible, so it follows the format of meph's masterwork set, which uses the same tile map as at least 2 other sets that I've tested, ['Gemset', 'Dungeonset']

That and I figured that since meph already includes some generated creatures in masterwork it would be nice to make things compatible.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByVsQCh9_uAMbHBfVzNHTE1aQkU

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2017, 11:05:11 am »

I think I didn't make my pipe dream clear enough, it seems (I meant the actual graphics). Also, I think you're making the file creation harder for yourself than it needs to be, though I haven't quite delved fully into it yet. But great work. I should get off and update the scripts with your additions soonishly.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2017, 02:17:47 pm »

I don't think generating an actual graphic would be too difficult to implement coding-wise, it would require a lot of custom art though, different pieces could be stitched together with http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5324647/how-to-merge-a-transparent-png-image-with-another-image-using-pil. Seems really labor intensive though, basically the same amount of work as making two or three graphics sets. (I actually made a few tiles yesterday to fill in some blanks for one I want to use and that took a few hours).

As for making things harder for myself... That's almost definitely true. I'm a complete novice having literally learned 80 percent of everything I know about python from tinkering with this mod. I've got ideas for faster ways to do things but I'm not sure if it will take longer to learn them than just finishing things the hard way. I know I am definitely using far more text than is strictly necessary, but I can't think of a better way because each creature tile needs to be strictly defined for each stage of growth/training. I've considered teaching it to read the graphics files, and then rewrite them in a new file when appropriate and use replace() to swap out the original creature name for the generated one, but I don't know how reading files works at all, I don't know how to sort, and I know I'd run into other problems I can't fathom because of the depths of my ignorance.

You being much more experienced an knowledgeable could probably come up with something much more elegant and I'd love to hear any input you have that could teach me something.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2017, 03:45:38 pm »

So, how would I go about it...
I'd probably add two additional list variables in CritterBase.create_creature - self.graphics_tiles and self.giant_graphics_tiles. In beast_myth_const, I'd add two new dicts, beast_graphics_tiles and giant_beast_graphics_tiles, and fill them like something like this:

Code: [Select]
beast_graphics_tiles['DOG'] = [' [DEFAULT:DOMESTIC:0:0:',
                ' [CHILD:DOMESTIC:5:0:',
                ' [ANIMATED:DOMESTIC:10:0:',
                ' [TRAINED_WAR:DOMESTIC:0:5:',
                ' [TRAINED_HUNTER:DOMESTIC:5:5:']

In beast_myth and in the create_giant_version function then, I'd add the logic to determine whether the creature type is in beast_graphics_tiles, and if so, create the tile information at that point. Then finally, we can access the variables once the creature is created, and add the text from them to the tilefile.

I hope my ramblings up there make sense.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

LCastillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2017, 01:25:22 am »

I wanted to put it in critterbase, but then I run into the problem of if it writing things to the file for creatures it abandons for not meeting a goal. I've been investigating ways to get around it, and in the meantime I've finished adding all the creatures from birds and birds_new to beast/vermin construct.

Also it's not very often but the script sometimes runs into an error with                 grazer_num = 2000000*100*(pow(self.body_traits['Size']/10,-3/4.0))

returning a negative power.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:01:31 pm by LCastillo »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2017, 12:11:40 pm »

Its pretty easy to avoid writing things for creatures that are rejected - write in the __main__ function, following the pattern of the other file writing functions.

I guess the grazer_num overflows? I haven't seen the problem myself, but I'll keep my eyes open.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: [0.43.05] Random Raw Scripts - An "LCastillo Did The Work" update
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2017, 11:05:54 am »

A new update to the random raw scripts, bringing much of LCastillo's work over to my version of the raw scripts. The changelog:

# v1.5
# Drake size now randomized similarly to bears; large drakes are exotic mounts
# Added several updates from LCastillo's fork, including:
# # Huge number of words having new effects
# # Zebus, grimalkins, cavies, buffalos (LCastillo's water buffalo), reindeer, llamas, alpacas, guineafowl, peafowl, and rabbits
# # Chimpanzees being properly tailless
# # Axe-like natural attacks for certain creature adjectives
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: [0.44.02] Random Raw Scripts - New Version Update
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2017, 12:53:36 pm »

It's been a while since updates, so here's one:

Beasts of Myth changelong:
# v1.55
# Animal fiends now no longer use their base animal in their names. This should make fiend names less awkward.
# Bumped up the oddity chance
# Added the MAMMAL and POISONOUS creature classes.
# Added wurms and wyrms as draconic beast types (limbless and sapient, respectively)
# Stopped night creatures from getting the tags allowing them to join civs/be playable from wild populations (they weren't intended, and didn't work for them anyway)
# Added 'beasts' of different appearances that have a chance to have unusual body parts
# Intelligent trade animal bug hopefully squashed for good now
# Moved horn type data to sphal_data, increased number of possible horn types slightly
# Dragons (and wyrms for that matter) can have random horns now.
# Added a check to prevent creatures going over in-raw max size
# Added sauropods, raptors and tyrants (t-rexes) as savage reptilian beasts
# Added caracals as large cat types
# Added solenodons as venomous mammalian vermin hunters.
# Allowed all inorganic materials except for deep ones and divine ones.
# Changed the impact of most size adjectives.

Random Vermin
# 0.78
# Added the MAMMAL and POISONOUS creature classes.
# Fixed a bug that caused uniform-tissue snails, slugs, and worms to have necks and throats.
# Allowed all inorganic materials except for deep ones and divine ones.

Random Entities
# v.5
# A few new suffixes
# Started with civ creature oddities - eyes, ribs, arms, and accordingly new body parts and a new body detail plan.
# Resolved a bug that would make certain clothing have adjectives like 'heavypeaceful'
# Resolved a bug where a creature with strange moods could get the token again from the entity script
# A few adjective chosen from the wide-vision beast types now increase anxiety
# A rare bug where dwarves were supposed to get beards but didn't should be resolved.
# Cave entities get NO_ARTIFACT_CLAIMS and lose scouts.

The script GUI gets a check mark to disallow dinosaur types.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.44.02] Random Raw Scripts - New Version Update update
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2017, 03:35:11 pm »

Found a typo, there's a really rare base type called "wurm" that's a really weak dragon, anyway the plural comes out as "rabbits" rather than wurms :) lol
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:WURM_SMASH]
[DESCRIPTION:A huge and very slow subterranean draconic monster, with an aspect of smashing character. Its scales are colored golden yellow. It can be trained for battle or for hunting. It savors the taste of flesh and bone. It roams the depths of the world. It is incapable of jumping. It can live up to 88 years. Its parts are worth four times as much as those of normal creatures.]
[NAME:smashed wurm:smashed rabbits:smashed wurm]
[CASTE_NAME:smashed wurm:smashed rabbits:smashed wurm]

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2017, 04:11:48 pm »

Oops. :-[ This will be fixed in the next release. I shall also write "The plural of wurm is not rabbits." onto the blackboard ten times.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2018, 11:11:20 am »

I love this mod. It even generates magma sharks.  I'm not sure if it's intended behaviour; in fact, looking at the description of the creature I think it was not, but I like it.. Dwarf fortress must have figured out on its own that because the creature was made of a magma safe material, it could toss them into the magma sea.  I need to catch a few for my future lava moat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2018, 11:21:07 am »

One idea, gurps has a ultra detailed random alien/specie generator, at gurps space.

Make a program that generate an random alien and make a df version of it.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2018, 03:43:42 pm »

I love this mod. It even generates magma sharks.  I'm not sure if it's intended behaviour; in fact, looking at the description of the creature I think it was not, but I like it.. Dwarf fortress must have figured out on its own that because the creature was made of a magma safe material, it could toss them into the magma sea.  I need to catch a few for my future lava moat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So the magma sharks/anhydrite night sharks came out of the magma and are now crawling around on land and in the cavern lakes. The "It is a strictly water-dwelling creature" appears to be slightly misleading.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2018, 04:12:45 pm »

So the magma sharks/anhydrite night sharks came out of the magma and are now crawling around on land and in the cavern lakes. The "It is a strictly water-dwelling creature" appears to be slightly misleading.
That's interesting. I'm assuming that NOBREATHE somehow overrides IMMOBILE_LAND, which should prevent that behavior otherwise. (And yes, that they're appearing in magma is a surprise as well.)

One idea, gurps has a ultra detailed random alien/specie generator, at gurps space.

Make a program that generate an random alien and make a df version of it.
That would be GURPS Space for 4th Edition? I do have some plans for a script that would create weirder creatures, but it's not quite a priority at the moment.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12