Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: This is my game!  (Read 4827 times)

neommox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
This is my game!
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:31:38 am »

Of course, you started working on this years before I even thought up my game, but it seems like your goals are the same as mine. All my game has amounted to is a few lines of pseudo-code and months of conceptualization. I hope to be able to help you. I need to play adventure and read up on the forums. I will try to start posting my ideas. I have to go to work first. I hope I can help, will post soon.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This is my game!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:40:00 am »

The spambots are getting smarter every day...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:42:18 am »

Too bad this one didn't post in the forum games section...
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

neommox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:56:08 am »

Wow, that was quick. And really patronizing. Thanks for being so friendly, great community you have here.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:17:35 am »

Admit it, you sounded like a spambot.
A really bad spambot actually, you didn't even had any links :P.

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:40:27 am »

Yeah, he sounded like a spambot, but he actually replied to you. Either he's a REALLY smart spambot, or he isn't one at all.
Hopefully the latter.
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

neommox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 11:46:30 am »

The whole without links thing kinda excluded me from spam didn't it? I have never heard of a legal spambot that tried to be helpful (or at least talked about being helpful). Show me your source-code so I can press charges of copyright infringement help develop your game 11!1!!!
Well, can I expect ridicule of my ideas as well (bad idea bot)? I have been working on ideas for a simulated fantasy world with economy and genetics that grows in realistic ways allowing for an environment with infinite diversity (max replay value). Now I question if sharing my ideas would be a waste of time, I have no urge to share my greatest ideas if this is the kind of reception I can look fowarded to...
If we can agree I am not a bot, could I get suggestions/links to the most relevant places I should start reading to see how best to incorporate my ideas into the existing work? Or should I continue as I have been, and just read everything?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 11:49:51 am »

I want to say that "This is my game!" too, as I always wanted a game like DF to exist.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 11:57:45 am »

Toady's got ideas. Zach has ideas. They will be implementing those ideas. We, the humble community, suggest and report back when we feel the need to, and as you can see, there is an entire suggestions section. Go crazy.

No... scratch that.

Search, then go crazy.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 12:08:16 pm »

To be honest, you introduced yourself in a really poor manner, so you shouldn't exactly expect us to welcome you with open arms.
I say lock this thread and start anew.

To answer your question: I suppose the best way would be to search the suggestion forum (you can restrict search to a single forum).

Btw, in history many scientists have SEPARATELY came up with the same things at the same time.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 01:04:50 pm »

Welcome to the community; sorry for the rough greetings.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 01:13:37 pm »

Wow, that was quick. And really patronizing. Thanks for being so friendly, great community you have here.

Welcome to ME. I see other people have introduced themselves in their own way. We are generally a mixed bag community. It happens.

Your opening thread was a bit "stepping on toes." As has been said, this game is Tarn's and Zach's and they are quite protective of their work. You will be able to see their source code over their dead bodies. Literally. You'd get that vibe if you read the forums before jumping right in and saying "HEY GUYZ LET ME SHOW YOU MAH POKEMANZ. I INVENTED THEM."

neommox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 01:22:09 pm »

I apologize. I meant for the subject to be attention grabbing, not controversial. I thought I had explained by saying that dwarf fortress was in development years before I had considered my similar concept. I understand parallel innovation. I meant to show my surprise and give complement to bay12.
How better could I have introduced myself? My name matters little compared to the explanation of why I joined the forums (to learn about and help with a game that I have dreamed about making). If my post better fits elsewhere then tell me.
My name is Brian. I live in Tennessee, USA. I am a nerd at heart. I love dwarf fortress. I am happy to be joining the community of such an incredible game.
BTW, my introduction is true and not meant to be more than slightly sarcastic.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:24:40 pm by neommox »

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 01:25:21 pm »

Well, you don't really need to introduce yourself, just start discussing stuff with everyone else.

I don't think there's any one of us here that hadn't wished for a game like DF or wanted to make it for ourselves. The great thing about this is that you don't have to do any work!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 01:36:47 pm »

I have no idea why you guys thought this dude was a spambot.  Welcome to the forums, though, Neommox.
Pages: [1] 2 3