Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: This is my game!  (Read 4829 times)

neommox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: This is my game!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 02:01:36 pm »

Thanks to all the polite welcome bots :).
I can't do the programming anyway :). I have been looking for a programmer. This could be better. The point is to just get my ideas out there.
I have been thinking mostly about AI. Implementing motivations based on personality and need.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 02:49:04 pm »

If we can agree I am not a bot, could I get suggestions/links to the most relevant places I should start reading to see how best to incorporate my ideas into the existing work? Or should I continue as I have been, and just read everything?

Read:

Once your ideas have percolated through all that, start searching DF Suggestions.

neommox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 03:27:07 pm »

Thank you very much Foot. Maybe when he gets bored with df he will open-source it like he did the liberal whatever game. Regardless, this is a great opportunity to explore my ideas. Everything I have read about df makes me think we have the same basic goals. I really need to play adventure mode, though. It is more like what I have been working on. It seems he had the same idea to make a different mode (fortress) for testing and experimenting to further adventure mode. That is how it seems. Will read the links to get a better idea.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 03:32:10 pm »

Maybe when he gets bored with df he will open-source it like he did the liberal whatever game.

I don't think it would be very likely he got tired of it sometime soon. Ask again in like.. 10 years or so.  :P

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 03:36:07 pm »

I really need to play adventure mode, though. It is more like what I have been working on. It seems he had the same idea to make a different mode (fortress) for testing and experimenting to further adventure mode. That is how it seems. Will read the links to get a better idea.

Not at all. Fortress mode is by far the main focus of the game (it is called Dwarf Fortress after all). Recent developments seem to be trending towards broadening adventure mode and integrating the two modes (and world gen) so there is more continuity between them, but fortress mode will probably always be the deeper and more intricate of the two.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »

Sorry about the spambot comment, thing is the way you posted made it sound like you were advertising something.  That's always what spambots do.  Forgive my mistake. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 12:29:38 am »

No, DF is my game. I have proof.

Don't limit yourself to just 'helping' someone else out with their game, by all means create your own. Don't know coding? Learn it! You're only limited by what you limit yourself by, I'm sure youtube and wikipedia can teach you enough about coding to create your game.

I'll show you the proper links if you want, but I'm tired right now.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 12:41:10 am »

When I first saw this thread and people's responses, I thought, "Wait... Spambot? Doesn't seem like a spambot, but oh well, don't want to seem like an idiot if I say something." :P Anyway, welcome!
I'm not sure if you'll have a chance to actually help 'develop' the game as such, however; it's Toady and Zach's baby, their life's work. But, feel free to share your ideas and features on the Suggestions forum, and they might catch Toady's eye! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 05:22:45 am »

Show me your source-code so I can press charges of copyright infringement help develop your game 11!1!!!

You, sir, should really watch your manners, if you expect a more friendly welcome.

Storming in here with guns a blazing, expecting Toady to jump on your command just because you have "ideas".

Every single user in these fora as ideas about DF, some posted in the 'Suggestions Forum' are actually really amazing. I'm skeptical that your ideas will justify your arrogant introduction, but I'll be happy to be proven differently.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 05:34:31 am »

Have you guys had enough of annoying the new forumite? Leave him or her alone.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 05:45:07 am »

Thanks to all the polite welcome bots :).
I can't do the programming anyway :). I have been looking for a programmer. This could be better. The point is to just get my ideas out there.
I have been thinking mostly about AI. Implementing motivations based on personality and need.

I hate to be a jerk, but... I've studied AI for ages. It isn't exactly simple, and if you don't know programming, I'm fairly sure you've got no idea about the difficulties of making a good AI. And, when it comes to games like Dwarf Fortress, the AI must also be resource-efficient, and that's not easy either...

Of course, I might be wrong about you. In any case, there's a forum for suggestions, feel free to post your stuff there...

ADD: For the sake of helpfulness though, I can heartily recommend AIMA for learning stuff about AI, including lots of things helpful in games (pathfinding, for example). Algorithms are presented in human-readable pseudocode, so knowing a programming language isn't necessary.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:33:57 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 06:26:25 am »

Hello new person. Welcome to the forums, we're an interesting bunch around here, but usually pretty friendly. I'm a southern boards guy (GD and LA mostly), so I can't say much though.

Offering to help Toady is a good gesture, but he's mostly uninterested in it, I'm afraid. He's the sort to keep his project and his code close to the vest. I encourage you to stick around and make suggestions, but working on your own project is always a good thing. In general though, I'd warn you that ideas aren't all that tough to come by, work on the meat and bones of a project (be it a game, book, or movie).

Enjoy your stay, man!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 06:36:44 am »

Show me your source-code so I can press charges of copyright infringement help develop your game 11!1!!!

You, sir, should really watch your manners, if you expect a more friendly welcome.

Storming in here with guns a blazing, expecting Toady to jump on your command just because you have "ideas".

Every single user in these fora as ideas about DF, some posted in the 'Suggestions Forum' are actually really amazing. I'm skeptical that your ideas will justify your arrogant introduction, but I'll be happy to be proven differently.
If you looked at the context of that quote, you'd see that he was joking. Calm down.

Anyway... Welcome, neommox!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 08:05:47 am »

Hey guys, I registered here JUST to inform you that years ago in asile 8 of grocery mart Co. It was darker that day because the stores lighting had failed a few fixtures and it got kind of dark, perfect time for me to leave the basement and buy more ramen noodles. Anyway, I was in the aisle picking up some beef flavoured ramen noodles then out of the blue Toady one and his sidekick/brother ambushed me and beat the shit out of me, they laughed maniacly and called me names, me being a weak basement dweller I had no chance I gave them what they wanted. DF was MY game idea, they STOLE IT! And they plan to use it to overthrow the world because Toady's an evil genius. His donations fund secretly is really the minion purchasing and arming fund. It's my game idea!
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 08:07:20 am »

Hey guys, I registered here JUST to inform you that years ago in asile 8 of grocery mart Co. It was darker that day because the stores lighting had failed a few fixtures and it got kind of dark, perfect time for me to leave the basement and buy more ramen noodles. Anyway, I was in the aisle picking up some beef flavoured ramen noodles then out of the blue Toady one and his sidekick/brother ambushed me and beat the shit out of me, they laughed maniacly and called me names, me being a weak basement dweller I had no chance I gave them what they wanted. DF was MY game idea, they STOLE IT! And they plan to use it to overthrow the world because Toady's an evil genius. His donations fund secretly is really the minion purchasing and arming fund. It's my game idea!

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3