Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Deckeon : A Shadowrun 3rd Edition MUD/MUSH  (Read 20958 times)

Kameleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deckeon : A Shadowrun 3rd Edition MUD/MUSH
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2011, 07:50:33 pm »

Some help files aren't adequately multi-named.  Of the ones you were looking for are under;

help physical-barrier
help deathtouch

Good reminders on the lack of help files for identify though, had regenerate on the list already.

Physical-barrier only stops physical attacks coming in, not going out.

Good questions all around, if nothing else it's helping us identify common new player questions.

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2011, 12:49:40 pm »

Bump.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2011, 08:23:57 pm »

How does one go about buying LTGs?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2011, 10:26:19 pm »

What are LTGs?

And how do I fix my Deck?

karock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2011, 10:44:53 pm »

LTGs are like IP addresses or domain names of the internet today. Basically addresses for matrix systems that you need to know in order to connect (or break into) the system.  They can be bought from players, found by finding a telecom in the zone you're trying to connect to (so a telecom in, say, the finchi building will put you in the finchi system which you can then analyze from within to learn the address for yourself), or by various other means.

If your deck has suffered MPCP damage you can repair it by taking it to a techwiz npc (the same guys that sell utils). It tends to be very expensive, as the MPCP chip is the main guts of the deck in the first place. This is analogous to burning out a CPU or motherboard on a modern computer.

Fortunately your deck rarely suffers such damage, chances are you're just talking about the condition monitor value, which is the 'health' of your matrix icon (sort of your virtual self). This is out of a max of 10 just like your health and stun bars. To heal this without jacking out you can use the medic-utility, otherwise it will automatically refresh to 10 whenever you log out and jack back in.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2011, 11:24:24 pm »

Ah, you can analyze them for the LTGs, didn't know that. So good, can get my own LTGs.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2011, 11:31:34 am »

I began to play yesterday.

The community seems little but bery noob friendly, even for noob question (first MUD ever).

Nice one ^^

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2011, 11:40:19 am »

It is the nicest Shadowrun MUD I have found to date, that is certain. Would love it if someone made an offline street map for navigation, as I find the ingame one to be nearly useless.

Also, if anyone has Terminlogy questions, a good fast(faster than looking up the manuals and better than the in-mud help) resource is http://gaming.thecasavants.com/SRIII/srterms.htm
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:41:52 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Samech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2011, 03:45:34 pm »

Could someone who played both this and Hatemoo compare the worlds for me?
My main motivation in such games is usually exploration and the other Shadowrun MUD I tried seemed to have forgotten to make an interesting world to explore (Empty streets and boring shops.)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2011, 05:05:05 pm »

compare the worlds

Deckeon is far kinder and gentler: No rape/orphan slaughter/etc. There's more RP enforcement and you get xp for talking to people. Game mechanics are generally more complicated. I didn't play either long enough to get a good sense of late game grindiness, but in terms of early character development, Deckeon is much slower to see any initial skillgain: you might have to play for days before getting a single useful skill increase. Deckeon's community is in general much friendlier. The flavor texts are more descriptive. Deckeon appears to be more quest driven.

My main motivation in such games is usually exploration and the other
Shadowrun MUD I tried seemed to have forgotten to make an interesting
world to explore (Empty streets and boring shops.

I suppose it depends on what you find interesting. Deckeon felt bigger to me. But a lot of the "bigness" is made up of fairly empty streets. Deckeon's location descriptions are, in my opinion, far more descriptive, but the contents of those descriptions are often comparitively dull. But that's because it's not trying to appeal to base emotions. In the orphan house you can find blood and vomit and dismembered bodies, and watch as people kill one another and rape their corpses. I never saw anything like that in Deckeon, but Deckeon's scenery descriptions are generally more detailed.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2011, 06:34:36 pm »

while the grammar in Deckeon is lacking, the descriptions are often very engaging and helpful in visualizing. The conversations with NPC are not bad for a MUD.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2011, 07:29:00 pm »

Could someone who played both this and Hatemoo compare the worlds for me?
My main motivation in such games is usually exploration and the other Shadowrun MUD I tried seemed to have forgotten to make an interesting world to explore (Empty streets and boring shops.)
Deckeon is MUCH deeper then HellMOO, but it is also a lot trickier to get into. Combat is nastier, there are fewer things automated, and in general the help files are lacking. That said, the community is amazing.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2011, 09:52:49 pm »

One final difference in Deckeon's favor: No restrictions on item usage.

If you find a good shotgun, you can use it.  No referencing your "Shotgun Skill" in order to see if you'll get any experience from it, you just use it.

For deckers, this is significant.

Kameleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2011, 02:37:14 pm »

A new week, a new bump.

karock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2011, 04:49:40 pm »

yeah, we had a fun GM run sunday evening with at least one player from these forums. I was helping behind the scenes trying to get the right mobs loaded up at the right times and the runners pretty effectively mowed them all down hehe.  Think I managed to connect a few times with some pistol shots, but couldn't take anyone out :p Will have to try harder next time :D

Hopefully have some fun new things built this week to ease some of the learning curve with various parts of the world... stay tuned :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9