Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Deckeon : A Shadowrun 3rd Edition MUD/MUSH  (Read 21133 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Deckeon : A Shadowrun 3rd Edition MUD/MUSH
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2011, 06:34:17 pm »

*Raises hand*

I was in the Sunday evening run.  We got lots of nuyen (money in the game, one nuyen = one dollar).

It was hard to keep my shotgun going, they just kept comming and comming.  But it was fun.

And I can attest to their willingness to help new players, as I am possibly the most annoying newbie ever.   :P

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2011, 11:20:19 pm »

I checked it out today for a few yow almost 9 hours - it did suck me in.  It was pretty cool, if a bit frustrating trying things and finding places.  I blew up my sucky starting deck and died twice, once to getting run over by a subway train heh.  Now I have to decide whether to start a different character to take advantage of what I learned would help early on and what seems useless, or just to try a different character type...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2011, 02:39:24 am »

I've only used one character.  After accidentally walking into customs several times, I lost all my leftover starting cash (and it was a lot), along with my SMART shotgun.

Today, I spent the entire time scrapping enough to restore my deck to the point I started at, due to MPCP damage.

But between generous players (and they do exist) and Sunday's run, I'm happy with my character.

Although, if you're going to start over, you might try a magic user.  You'll get to see a whole other world.  And it's easier to restart on day one than later.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2011, 11:08:03 am »

This sounds like fun, I haven't played MUDs yet, but I can learn my way around both roguelikes and BYOND games, this is basicly the middle ground (with some a lot of text adventure thrown in), right?

Love cyberpunk, even if I am a PnP-RPG-deprived individual

So, is there some kind of... organization... Bay12? What kind of characters does it need? I remember hearing about Radio Channel 1212 being B12 operated...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2011, 11:36:21 am »

I'll be back in as soon as Deus stops eating my time.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2011, 11:58:59 am »

So, is there some kind of... organization... Bay12? What kind of characters does it need? I remember hearing about Radio Channel 1212 being B12 operated...

We're not really that organized yet.  Just pick a character you like.  And give me all your money.  :P

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2011, 12:48:28 pm »

I got the recommended client -- any plugins that work with Deckeon? A UI of some sort would probably help not having to...

Actually, this client has a lot of scripting; is there a simple way to brute force "look/examine/whatever" on everything in view and output the text to another window?

EDIT: and what client settings should I use?

EDIT2: Questions, questions. It asks for a name in the beginning. Is this just a connecting username or a character name? Is there a name generator?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:59:09 pm by Matz05 »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2011, 02:36:57 pm »

Re the name: Yeah that's gonna be the name that shows in the "who" list, and your character's runner name/callsign.

For names, I sometimes use http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=dwarfnamer (go up and there's a few others besides dwarves), this page links to a few http://gmtristan.com/generate-a-cool-name-for-your-mmo-character/

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2011, 03:08:23 pm »

Or you could just use your B12 forum name.   :P

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2011, 03:31:13 pm »

Numbers in a character name? Never heard of that one outside stuff I've read about Paranoia --and those follow a formula, even if most are puns-- but in cyberpunk, who knows.

Which should I do? Just getting a second opinion before I make a bad first impression.
Now to look at those generators and find something pronounceable... ...and memorable...

Ha, this much time and I'm still on the welcome screen!

EDIT: Hahaha, OK, over-the-top-fantasy generator is out most soundly.
EDIT2: Ohhhkaaayy... "Evil Names" gives output like ominous-sounding DF names, fully translated. Nope!
EDIT3: Vampire Names on "Modern" does, as the maker said, make some promising "genericly menacing" names...
EDIT4: ...except when it doesn't. "Homer Strangelove" indeed!
EDIT5: "Evil Sounding" (Makaroving everything "evil" in Tolkien?) makes some shady-sounding gibberish that sounds like it might mean something terrible in another language...
EDIT6: "Kaiju Name Generator" is for Japanese movie monsters... Might work considering the setting's street speech being like someone who vacationed too long in Tokyo and then came back to whatever big American city they came from...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:13:04 pm by Matz05 »

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2011, 04:15:39 pm »

You know, I'm gonna stop editing that one.

Anyone have some examples? A list of all known NPC names or something? I don't know what I'm shooting for.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2011, 04:32:38 pm »

You could use Matz?  Or Matz Five?

Or...Darkdeath Evilman.

...although my character philosophy vears more towards Unlosing Ranger.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2011, 04:38:32 pm »

Have you been playing with the "over-the-top-fantasy-name" Generator?  :) "Darkdeath Evilman"?

Matz it is, I guess, if no-one objects. Now to look at the character generator...  :-\

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2011, 04:43:18 pm »

Hmm... are Drone Riggers implemented? Always wanted my own robot army...
EDIT: Then again, if building a better motorbike doesn't work well, I guess deathbots are too much to ask for.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:45:54 pm by Matz05 »

karock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2011, 04:51:11 pm »

nah there's a lot of issues with riggers currently. like it technically probably *works* (with GM assistance) but it's hard to do anything useful with it. more of a toy. it's on my list of stuff to try to build into usefulness but there's a lot of stuff that's more important on the to-do list ahead of it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9