Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: how many old bay 12'ers are still here?  (Read 5092 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how many old bay 12'ers are still here?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 08:49:18 am »

I'm quite new here, much to my regret I learned about Dwarf Fortress somewhat late. And that despite the fact that my main e-stomping grounds has had an "Anyone tried Dwarf Fortress" thread since 2006.  :-\
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 04:06:54 pm »

I have been playing since the 2d version. and joined the forums in 2007, so I guess that makes me fairly old hat. But I mostly hang in the lower forums now and rarely play DF anymore.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 04:49:26 pm »

I was lurking in the first posts for the game (or at least as far as they would go) and saw names that I have never seen posting currently. How many of "you" are from ye olden days of bay12?

Date Registered: August 05, 2009, 03:24:41 pm

to be precise. At least, that's when I registered on the forums which was probably about when I started playing.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 06:02:05 pm »

*Checks signature*
Well from the d40 days at least, shame they took those out. But seriously, why are we trying to split the community between 'old' and 'new'? An escaped lunatic is still a valued member of the community here.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 06:27:37 pm »

But seriously, why are we trying to split the community between 'old' and 'new'? An escaped lunatic is still a valued member of the community here.

Well said, but I don't really see anyone trying to form cliques based on it.

It's just one of those "compare your e-peen length" contests.  No real harm in it.

The first version I played was 0.22.110.22f, and the date on my copy of the zipfile is 11/05/2006.  The exefile is dated 11/03/2006, so I downloaded it pretty darn quick after it was released.

Back then, if you dug out a 7x7 square with no pillar or support, it would cave-in in a month or so.  And there were no constructions; once you dug out a tile, that tile was dug out forever.

New features in version .22f included weapon and armor stockpiles, stockpile customization, and the ability to limit how many barrels and bins a stockpile can use.

Oh wow, my fort still loads!  Trade depot with the road going off into the wilderness, the entry hall with all of four cage traps, an undefended bridge over the cave river, kitchen and half-finished bedrooms between the cave river and chasm, and forges by the magma river.  I hadn't crossed over to get at the cyan stuff yet.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 08:04:22 pm »

But seriously, why are we trying to split the community between 'old' and 'new'? An escaped lunatic is still a valued member of the community here.

Well said, but I don't really see anyone trying to form cliques based on it.

It's just one of those "compare your e-peen length" contests.  No real harm in it.

I did not intend for this thread to become a e-peen contest D=, I was just curious at when people started playing DF and joined the forums.
Also while in the context of the forum yes a escaped lunatic has value here, I don't think that belief would go over well in the normal internets.....nevermind everyone on the internet is an escaped lunatic. :)
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 10:34:53 pm »

I joined the forums three days before 2006 ended.  I still have my first big fortress in the original folder, on .23a ("Copyright (C) 2002-2006 by Tarn Adams").

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 03:08:24 am »

I dunno when I registered, because I lurked a long time, but I started DF back in the 2D days.

I had a look : I got here on August the first, 2007.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:10:04 am by Athmos »

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011, 03:47:16 am »

The forum tells me my forum-self is two and a third years old. I remember I was so enchanted when I first saw "Escaped Lunatic" beside my first post that I chose my text-snippet to complement it, and was dissapointed when it changed to Bay Watcher after only 10 posts, but I guess that just makes my escape officially successful! I probably aught to change my text-snippet or signature after two years, but can't seem to think of anything I want there (including what's there), and just change my location regularily instead.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2011, 06:36:12 am »

April 10, 2008, 11:01:01 pm was my sign on date, I played for awhile before that. Good lord but my first posts were atrocious. I was 16 or so? This has always been my only home on the internets. Like everyone else, I played before I posted. I remember when I couldn't figure out why my entry hall kept collapsing. 7x7 rooms of death.

In general, I'd say that these threads aren't that damaging, my occasional reference to VN might do a bit more, but still, nothing wrong with some memory, right?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2011, 06:39:38 am »

I played one of the oldest releases for a very short while because the machine I installed it on ran it very slowly and I was looking for a more traditional Roguelike anyway.

I joined the forums in 2009, was it? To share my glorious hippie strategies... in LCS. I played LCS for about a year before picking up Dwarf Fortress. And then came my military service, so I let both be for a bit over six months...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2011, 08:25:01 am »

by the old days you mean 2006 or the age of myth?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2011, 07:16:26 pm »

I caught on at the first release.
Never bothered registering an account until later on.
Has it already been that long?  Goddamn.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 01:17:53 am »

I started playing halfway through 40d. So I'm not that old.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2011, 05:03:33 am »

Started playing around October 2009, registered on the forums in March 2010.
I'm not old, but I'm not new.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6