Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Livestream - Boots to the head! (*Friday 10/28/11*)  (Read 6482 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Livestream - Boots to the head! (TODAY @ 7pm EDT)
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 10:29:45 pm »

Le watchpost
*Hugs*

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Livestream - Boots to the head! (TODAY @ 7pm EDT)
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 01:06:05 pm »

Was kinda hoping to do another double-set this evening, but considering how exhausted I woke up this morning, and how much I still need to do around the house after work, it's not likely.

But I hate to leave people disappointed, especially since several mentioned that next week many of them would be in school and unable to waste their free time watching.

So to compromise, I'll be showing just one movie tonight:

Iron Monkey @ 8pm EDT (midnight GMT).

It's a Robin Hood-type story set in late Qing Dynasty China, with a kindhearted bandit hero, a corrupt official, a noble kung-fu master dragooned into capturing the bandit, and an evil renegade Shaolin monk who is an uber-badass. Numerous excellent fight scenes, and a climatic final fight that must be seen to be believed. Directed by legendary fight choreographer Yuen Wo Ping, he pulls out all the stops to deliver some A+ wuxia action.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Livestream - Boots to the head! (TODAY, 8/3 @ 8pm EDT)
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 01:21:57 pm »

Aaw. Like I said yesternight, I probably won't be able to make it today, unfortunately (or at least not much or very coherently). Make I'll be able to catch a few spots, at least. Otherwise, I'll be around for the next screening (there'll be more, right?).
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 02:06:10 pm »

Yeah, there'll definitely be more. Probably some encore showings of stuff too.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 05:02:25 pm »

Probably some encore showings of stuff too.

The beauty of streaming is that people can just replay your old ones (btw, hard to believe the MPAA special agents haven't absailed down the wall and crashed through the windows of the LiveStream offices yet). I just watched the Shaolin Soccer stream from last night since I fell asleep about halfway through the first film, and oh god have I laughed. I really need to find this on DVD somewhere.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 08:50:42 pm »

Iron Monkey is done and up in the library for those who missed it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Livestream - Boots to the head!
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 11:34:43 am »

After a few weeks' hiatus, I'm hoping to do a show later this week (Thursday and/or Friday).

Since I haven't been able to find a digital copy of Tom yum goong that doesn't look like crap (thank you VCD and a puny Thai film distribution industry), I'm skipping that and treating Iron Monkey as a one-off.

So next up is "Our Vampires Are Different", featuring the classic Mr. Vampire (1985). Yes, that's the name of the film. This was the film that singlehandedly brought the jiangshi ("hopping vampire") genre into prominence in HK cinema. There were four sequels and dozens of imitators, such that the genre was domminant for about 8 years fro 1985-1992. What Night of the Living Dead was to zombie films, Mr. Vampire was to jiangshi films. It's part comedy, part action flick and part supernatural horror story. And it created a trope character in HK cinema--the badass Taoist priest/ghost hunter/exorcist. The actor who portrayed this role, Lam Ching-ying, pretty much got typecast for the rest of his career in this role.

The plan is to follow that up with Chinese Ghost Story (1987). From noted director Tsui Hark, this is a loose retelling of a Qing Dynasty-era short story, about a young man and the ghost of a beautiful young woman, who fall in love but are seperated by the fact that...well, she's a ghost. Complicating matters is the fact that her soul is captive to a demon. So to free her, he enlists the aid of...a badass Taoist priest/swordsman. The special effects are over-the-top, but the acting is generally good (especially the main pair, whose love story is believeable thanks to Joey Wong's portrayal as Nip Siu-sin, the beautiful ghost). There's no vampires per se, but the Tree Demon has some vampiric attributes (a giant bloodsucking tongue being foremost among them).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 12:13:56 pm »

Sounds good! I can most likely catch them whatever day it ends up being, too, so I won't have to worry about that.

Hopping vampires sounds hilarious.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 12:57:16 pm »

Reminds me of Super Mario Land. BLARGH WHY WON'T YOU FUCKING ZOMBIES STAY DEAD.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2011, 08:19:09 am »

How are things looking?
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 01:04:10 pm »

Guess who has two thumbs and a terribad memory??

<---- THIS GUY

Yeah, I totally flaked and forgot I was going to do this last week.  ::)
We'll try again this Thursday. Will update with specific start time when it gets closer.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 03:14:18 pm »

I'm not sure I can trust you ever again. You deprived me of froggy-bats.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Livestream - Boots to the head! (Crazy Ghost Edition!)
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 10:27:20 pm »

No, I haven't forgotten. I've just been unable to find a decent copy of Mr. Vampire.

BUT! I do have a copy of Tsui Hark's A Chinese Ghost Story. While it doesn't have hopping vampires, it does have a badass Taoist swordsman/priest, a skeletal Lord of Hell, and a tree demon with a giant tongue. And a couple of scenes of almost-but-not-quite-naughty-tentacles.

Planned showtime is 9pm EDT (GMT-4), tomorrow 10/7/11. Hopefully I can spend some time tomorrow locating a copy of Mr. Vampire with English subs (I have a copy, just not with English subs or dub). If so, we'll watch that Saturday night.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Livestream - Boots to the head! (Crazy Ghost Edition!) -- 9pm EDT, 10/7/11
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 05:25:29 am »

I'll try to stay awake. If I'm not there, you know the reason.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Livestream - Boots to the head! (Crazy Ghost Edition!) -- 9pm EDT, 10/7/11
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 08:26:45 pm »

Okay, RL got in the way for a tiny bit. Stream is up, showtime will begin at 9:30pm EDT (i.e. about five minutes)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5