Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Livestream - Boots to the head! (*Friday 10/28/11*)  (Read 6471 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Livestream - Boots to the head! (*Thursday 10/20/11*)
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2011, 09:42:04 pm »

It's that time again! Continuing with the horror theme for October, this week's installment will be a double feature Thursday evening/night:

Dangerous Liaisons:
Green Snake
Painted Skin

Both of these movies deal with women who are not what they seem. In both cases, they are seductive and alluring. Some are oblivious to their true nature while others suspect them the whole time. Both are based on traditional Chinese folklore -- instead of succubi, Asia has snake women and fox spirits.

First up is Tsui Hark's 1993 movie, Green Snake. Based on a novel, which is itself based on the ancient folk story of Bai Suzhen (Lady White Snake). The gist is that a supernatural snake decides it wants to do good deeds to amass karma, so it turns into a human female. Then it falls in love with a scholar and seduces him until the monk Fa-hai discovers her secret, fights a big magical duel with her, and ends up locking her into the ground and builds Leifeng Pagoda over her to keep her trapped (as an aside, I've been to the pagoda in Hangzhou, so finding this was a double bonus for me). Over time, the story transformed from primarily a horror story into a romance and Fa-hai went from being the hero to being an inflexible meddler. This version includes a later character (her sister Lady Green Snake) and is mostly told from her point of view. Along the way it becomes a very trippy, sensual meditation on the nature of good and evil and love. Stars Joey Wang, the beautiful young ghost from A Chinese Ghost Story (which Tsui Hark also directed).

It's like The Little Mermaid meets Lair of the White Worm. Also, it's the only HK film I've ever seen that has a Bollywood number in it. :P

The second half -- the recent (2008) film Painted Skin -- has a similar theme -- supernatural woman is seducing a guy, somebody else figures it out and tries to stop her, which is both justified and a problem since there's a real love triangle here. It's mixed with some wuxia action and strong female characters to make for a pretty good movie. Based on a short story by Pu Songling, the Qing dynasty author. Pu was the Qing dynasty equivalent of the Brothers Grimm. He penned a collection of nearly 500 fantasy and horror stories, some of them original compositions, many of them traditional folk stories. This work was the inspiration for Painted Skin, A Chinese Ghost Story and numerous other HK horror films and TV shows over the years. One of the striking things about Painted Skin is the quality. It was shot partly in Hong Kong and partly on the mainland, with funding from both HK backers and Beijing, and a $15 million budget and it shows. The film quality is excellent, the CGI is modern (and used sparingly, but to good effect). It's a good example of what Chinese film with a real budget can look like.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2011, 02:12:16 am »

Sounds good. Will it be later in your day this time?
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2011, 06:12:00 am »

Still trying to work out when the actual showtimes will be. Ideally, I'd love to start around 6-7pm local time so that the European folks could at least catch the first one without staying up too late, and the West Coast US folks could tune in for the later one. But that's right when we're trying to get the kids fed and ready for bed.  :-\

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2011, 02:35:03 pm »

Okay, here's the schedule as it stands now:

9pm-10:40pm EDT (1am-2:40am GMT): Green Snake
10:40pm-10:50pm: Intermission
10:50pm-12:50am (2:50am-4:50am GMT): Painted Skin

Sorry for the Europeans getting the shaft on this one, but both movies are "adult" enough that I'm not about to show them before the kids are in bed.

Next week's installment will finish out the horror category just in time for Halloween: the Japanese cult classic Wild Zero, where a garage punk band fights off a zombie horde created by space aliens as the first invasion wave. If you put Six-String Samurai, Evil Dead II, Heavy Metal and Planet Terror into a blender, you might get a pale imitation of Wild Zero. Fun, fun stuff. Might be paired with another Asian zombie flick, though I'm having hard time finding a good one to pair it with.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2011, 04:22:51 pm »

Well, at least I'll have something to do if I can't sleep ;)
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2011, 07:45:59 pm »

Showtime in about 20 minutes! Come get your supernatural hot chicks*!

*The management is not responsible if the aforementioned supernatural hot chicks drink your blood, eat your face off, carve out your heart, or are in fact fifty-foot long poisnous snakes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2011, 10:08:06 pm »

Okay, Green Snake has slithered into the archive. I'll wait around 10-15 minutes if anyone wants to watch Painted Skin, otherwise I'll save it for another night.

C'mon West Coasters...you know you want to.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Livestream - Boots to the head! (*Friday 10/28/11*)
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2011, 03:04:26 pm »

It's that time again! This week the theme is World War Z -- The Eastern Front

Just in time for Halloween, I'll be showing the best (okay, the ONLY) Japanese punk/rockabilly zombie action film, Wild Zero.

Synopsis: Wannabe rocker Ace runs afoul of a zombie apocalypse started by space aliens, and enlists the help of his favorite band, Guitar Wolf. It should be noted that Guitar Wolf is an actual band, and their members are (unsurprisingly): Guitar Wolf, Bass Wolf, and Drum Wolf. Heads asplode, somebody learns to shoot frikkin' laser beams out of their eyes, and a UFO gets cut in half with a sword. A guitar-sword. If that doesn't pique your interest, then there's not much more I can do.

The closest thing I can think to compare it to is Six-String Samurai (plus zombies), but made all the more surrealistically funny by odd translations and lots of badly translated profanity, such as "You're fucking me off!" and "Don't get shitty!" xD

Note: this is also probably the last one of these I'm going to do for a while, as interest appears to have waned considerably (I'm sure the ever-shifting showtimes doesn't help). Might start these back up after New Year's, when I'll no longer be working weekends and I can stream Saturday nights when more people are available.

Right now, scheduled showtime is around 9pm EST (1am GMT) on Friday, 10/28.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2011, 08:26:56 pm »

I am sad that I have work then. I love Wild Zero. It is amazing, particularly because (as seems to have become standard for me), I guessed the plot twist less than a minute before it occurred. You know the one I mean.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2011, 08:08:41 pm »

EDIT: Okay, show cancelled due to lack of attendance.

I'll try picking this back up in January when I can start doing Saturday nights. Hopefully people will be more interested then.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:21:15 pm by RedKing »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2011, 09:20:17 pm »

Oh, if I'd realized this was happening I would have been there.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2012, 04:47:51 pm »

Hey, it's this thing again!  :D

Thinking about reviving the weekly Asian livestreams (especially now that I have an upgraded router for MOAR SPEED and a stable work schedule that lets me stay up late on Friday nights instead of subjecting people to this in the middle of the week at odd hours.)

Moving the thread over to Creative Projects. Link is here.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]