Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worst embark ever?/Help?  (Read 1516 times)

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
Worst embark ever?/Help?
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:02:40 pm »

Let me start off by saying I am a noob, I can make a fortress but we always end up slaughtered by goblins or dying of thirst or starvation. I am saying this because I am not surer if this is common or not.

Anyway, my spawn location is... odd. I chose the perfect spot, right on top of where three rivers meet, deep and shallow metals, clay and deep soil, no aquifer, flux stone, heavily forested with lots of vegetation and it was warm so it would never freeze.

I spawn and instantly get 'horrifying screams come from below' or some such and googled it. I figured out it was from the circus and after looking around I saw what looks like a broken admantine vein. I assumed it was a cave in which happened a lot when I spawned and I pressed F1.

Here is where the fun begins, There is a small hill where my dwarfs are standing. Around them, the ground cuts down straight into hell. There are pools of lava everywhere and the only water is draining into hell. Can anyone tell me why the hell it is Ragnarok in my fortress? Is this normal? Should I just continue as normal?

Also, every few seconds I am told a section of the cave collapsed.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2210/unledlln.png
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst embark ever?/Help?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 04:13:29 pm »

It's a rare bug with world generation. Definitely NOT normal, and likely not surviveable. ;)

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:17:22 pm »

I am so conflicted, I am pretty sure demons are coming up but I want to see how horribly I will die at the same time.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 04:51:15 pm »

I tried a few more times in different places...

Every place has the exact same problem. The hell?

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 04:53:59 pm »

haha XD, "the hell" literally.

but in all seriousness, you should just roll with it. might be kewl.
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

OwlEpicurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 05:32:31 pm »

There's a chance that it's survivable.  What's your FPS?  Usually embarks like that are unplayable because the game slows to a crawl. 

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 07:09:08 pm »

I would not know, every five seconds a cavern collapsed.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:15:27 pm »

UGH. The drop in FPS rate is MADDENING. It literally drives me insane!!! This is what I look like:

Urist McHuman cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: FPS too low
Urist McHuman cancels Worry About FPS Rate: Throwing a Tantrum
Urist McHuman cancels Throw Tantrum: Banging Head Against Wall
Urist McHuman has died after colliding with an obstacle

No, I didn't die. I just get *REALLY* angry when it takes 10 minutes just to build a Single Stinkin' WALL SEGMENT!!!!!!!!!!

Urist McHuman cancels Reply to Topic: Too angry

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 07:22:57 pm »

I tried a few more times in different places...

Every place has the exact same problem. The hell?

I believe it is a bugged worldgen, if it occurs everywhere. This happens every once in a while, generating a new world should fix all your problems.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 07:53:37 pm »

Or alternately, set out a new embark, with only one miner, and the rest being military dwarves with steel weapons and armor. Have the miner dwarf channel out the last parts of the rock holding up the platform leading to hell, and then watch as your military begins assaulting hell.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 10:50:00 pm »

Nah, not good enough yet :P

Does anyone want the save?

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:52:42 pm »

I'll take it.
Besides, you don't need skill to send your dwarves on a suicide mission.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:11 am »

Here you go mate, it is massive with the longest history possible. Cheers!

http://www.2shared.com/file/qtoEekYG/region2.html