Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!  (Read 9675 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2011, 12:43:08 am »

I'd like a turn for megaproject building please!

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2011, 12:27:33 am »

Sorry for the really long delay. It took surprisingly long for something to happen. This'll be very image heavy.

4 Limestone: After taking a day off for festivities, I took a look at what exactly was down there.

This tribe of olmfolk may prove troublesome. Worst comes to worst, we can drop a section of the cave around the adamantine and keep them out that way while the miners dig it out, but I don't want to risk damaging the vein unless it's absolutely necessary. This is the stuff of legends, here. Now I know why a mining settlement was established this far south, in such an inhospitable land. Now I think about it, maybe the goblins knew too. Maybe they somehow knew we were getting close, chose now to act... I'll need to speak with the refugees.

10 Limestone: We've got our first piece of adamantine.

I've ordered it stored for now, as we have no dwarves knowledgeable about how to extract the metal from the ore. Meanwhile, we have begun thinking of what to do about the goblins. There are two main groups of thought as to how we should drive them off, with the first favoring luring them into a tunnel and collapsing the roof behind them and the second preferring to line the tunnel with traps and let them cut themselves to ribbons. I am inclined towards the second option personally, but the time it would take plus the downside of having no prisoners to interrogate afterwards definitely leaves the other a valid option. I've decided to work on both projects at the same time, and proceed with whichever is finished first.

23 Limestone: We've decidided to build a cavein trap, due to a lack of raw material for traps. The goblins have gathered, almost as though waiting for us go for them.

Except for those few who continue to occupy the barracks,

though how that deer got up there I'll never know.

Meanwhile, omens have begun to occur again.

Perhaps they again indicate our success against the goblins.

27 Sandstone: Progress is almost intolerably slow, for some reason. The merchants seem to have been driven crazy by their long time underground. However, there is nothing we can do for them except put the goods they brought to good use.

10 Timber: Finally, we are ready to spring the trap.

While waiting for the tunnel to be finished, we managed to build a small platform with four windmills on it, which powers the waterfall in what I hope will be the dining room.

We also have begun construction of a much larger platform, which will power the pump stack that feeds the reservoir.

And gotten a fair amount of work done on the modular colony project.

Now we shall see what happens...

I actually ran a test run of this as research, to see if the trolls would destroy the supports on their own, not intending to save the results. It turned out they don't, but something fairly awesome happened anyway.

The bowman who came with the insane merchants managed to drive off the entire siege.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:05:17 pm by TSTwizby »
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2011, 03:04:52 pm »

And here's another one. This is probably the second to last, as I can't imagine anything particularly spectacular happening in the next two months.

15 Timber: Ah, the irony!

just as we were ready to take the fight to the goblins, they decided their siege was pointless and fled. I suppose it's all for the best, in the end...

16 Timber: And now a caravan makes the worst choice of when to arrive.

They seem to be trying to keep out of the goblins' way, with success so far. I've ordered all the junk the humans dropped to the depot.

17 Timber: It seems there were some stragglers.

The traps we have should deal with them. The caravan is in trouble though.

20 Timber: The caravans are holding out surprisingly well.

They've lost a marksdwarf and a hammerdwarf, as well as two of their water buffalo, but their axedwarves are carving chunks out of the goblins. They might very well make it.

25 Timber: The merchants managed to escape, after cutting down one of the ambushing groups of goblins. I've managed to get us back into the cage passage, and am working to get those cage traps refilled. There are more than enough traps to contain the entire ambush. The liason managed to get inside, but for some reason he refuses to speak with me, and will only talk to the mayor. So much for getting any information out of him. I keep telling myself that I will interrogate some of the refugees, but I can never find the time. Maybe I should just let it lie.

20 Moonstone: And now the cleanup begins.

Fortunately, we seem to have built enough coffins.

This has been a really crazy turn. I don't really expect to get much more done than I have already, given the cleanup that needs to happen, but I actually finished quite a bit, like the barracks and my waterfall chamber, though it still doesn't have any water in it.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2011, 02:03:54 am »

And it's the end. Out with a bang, sort of.

26 Moonstone: We seem to have an unexpected guest.

A strange thing to look at, but it doesn't appear to be a threat at the moment. If it begins flying, I'll wall off the area. No sense wasting the military.

2 Obsidian: I've decided to leave the adamantine alone for a while, give my miners a break from working down in the caverns. I carved out that little platinum vein I found earlier, and I've started producing some nice platinum furniture for the dining room.

Happily, no one has died since the goblins left.

16 Obsidian: This has been an uneventful winter, thankfully. I've managed to finish two projects, and have made a huge amount of progress on the pump stack, and managed to mine out several chunks of adamantine. I am very pleased with recent events, quite a departure from the goblins and trolls and coffins and death which lasted most of my...

Oh shit.

You know what, forget it. I've dealt with this before, we can deal with it the same way. Lock everything up. We've got the drawbridge set up now, finally, and there's plenty of time to wall off the side entrance. We could even have just locked the artifact door to the barracks, if some idiot hadn't left his shield stuck in it. But so what. Just close the doors, wall off the exits, hide underground until they get bored and run away...

I need a vacation.

19 Obsidian: One stupid death, some woodcutter ran outside right before we locked the doors. Ran straight into an ogre's fist. We're locked up safe, the trolls are all gathered around the door, pounding against it pointlessly. Why they're doing this when it is, you know, open, I have no idea. All in all, a win-win scenario- we don't die, they don't need to slog through our rotting corpses to get at the adamantine.

1 Granite: I've had enough of this. I seem to be some sort of magnet for goblins, and I've had enough of watching dwarves get slaughtered, and then watching their corpses rot to nothing as we hide behind the walls. I may have done well. I may have done poorly. I don't know. People seem happier than they were a few months ago, which is a good thing, I suppose. I've managed to finish the barracks, and the waterfall room, though I haven't put any furniture in there yet. I even got about a quarter of the power needed to power the pump stack supplied, which was more than I'd hoped. And I found adamantine. And we survived a siege. Maybe we were lucky, after all. Who knows. I'm done. Good luck, whoever takes my place!

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5188

Yeah, it seems I am indeed a goblin magnet. Two sieges within one year. On the other hand, maybe the adamantine had something to do with it. To whoever goes next: Note that there is a path open to fliers leading down to the lowest cavern level. There is a section of the cave supported by a support and a chunk of floor which is currently being removed, hopefully from the correct side this time. If not, take note and fix. There is a forgotten beast on the first cavern level which seems either nonagressive or incapable of flight, as the first cavern level is also open to fliers due to the modular colony project. Plus, there's a siege going on. I'm pretty sure that unless you actually go and attack them, all the goblins will be stuck around that one door, since they seem to be riding trolls and there's that one bug that prevents building destroyers from moving past open doors. But I wouldn't bet on it. I also don't know where the ogres are at the moment, though I'm pretty sure they left or are by the doors as well.Feel free to try out my cave in trap, but don't expect them to take the bait. I suspect that there are still some problems in the raws, though I didn't bother to check, especially in regards to the large numbers of triplets, quadruplets, etc. We are overflowing in babies.

Current megaproject status:

The Maze
    Started by: GWG
    Status: Partially completed, waiting on smoothing and engraving.
    Application: Looks pretty
    Notes: Not going to be finished any time soon, but easy to chip away at.

The Barracks
    Started by: The Master
    Application: Currently contains barracks, armory, archery range, and mass-pitting system.
    Notes: Suggested use for the rest of third floor is a jail. Barracks area currently devoid of furniture, thanks to trolls.

Waterfall Chamber
    Started by: TSTwizby
    Status: Partially completed, waiting on the powering of the pump stack which powers the waterfall.
    Application: Intended to be a dining room.
    Notes: Large platform for windmills has been constructed, probably large enough that if every gear assembly were hooked up to a windmill the stack would be powered by now. It's just a matter of time and wood.

Cavern Pod Colony
    Started by: (name here)
    Application: Safe house.
    Notes: Project is of indefinite size, so difficult to determine completion. Six rooms complete so far, four more under construction.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:53:40 am by TSTwizby »
Live bait.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2011, 02:10:23 am »

Bravo! Now, who the hell is up next? I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE INSANITY! :o
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2011, 01:55:01 pm »

...hello? Anyone?
Live bait.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2011, 02:05:59 pm »

Hi. I dunno where everyone else went. What a shame this died so quickly... :'( we have to do something to have people remember this!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]