Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!  (Read 9604 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:20:55 pm »

Randomconstructs: A History of Waste and Industry
Obsidian 18, 399
I, Geshud Wheelfaiths, doctor and administrator, have been chosen to lead an expedition to farthest wilds, told to build massive monuments to the glory of Dwarvenkind! And to think, this despite having accidently written up orders for troops to go attack a previously-goblin town that we had already taken, rather than the goblin fortress we were already sieging!
With me are my faithful hound, Rovod Wallattacked; my friend, the slightly crazed mechanic/butcher/tanner/leatherworker Libash Hailedarches; another friend of mine, Besmar Ballgates, who is a woodcutter and herbalist (and who is enthusiatstic about almost any stupid new idea); ezum Chasmcastle, an engraver and stonecrafter with an obsession for bogymen; Urdim Runmirrored, carpenter, mason, and fan of bat men; Olin Boatdwells, one of the most vital dwarves, being the farmer, cook, and above all, brewer, but who also believes in childrens' tales of adamantine; and the only dwarf more important, Doren Claspticks, a creepy miner obsessed with gray demons. We also brought along two other dogs, a cat, a pair of sheep and one of buffallo, and a few monsters from the deep. Supplies include some cow tripe, prepared turtle flesh, seeds, plump helmets, and a large amount of alcohol. We also have a couple ropes, a few buckets, an anvil, an axe, a pick, and a barrel of cave spider venom.
In short, seven somewhat undergifted dwarves, sent to the coldest regions of the world, to redeem ourselves in the eyes of the mountainhomes!
Or maybe just sent here to die.

Actually, that makes a fair amount of sense.
-----
Welcome to Randomconstructs, a succession game where each player builds a megaproject greater than the last one, while trying to find a use for all of these other ones before it.

Rules: One-year turns from Granite 1 to Granite 1, with periodic updates. Try not to take too long with your turns but I will not enforce a time limit; I'm nice that way. (However, if you take REALLY long to get you first update (or at least a response), like a week, I will probably shove you to the back of the line, so please respond when I tell you that it's your turn). During your turn, you must build a megaproject of some kind that is somewhat taxing to the fort and/or unusual. You must also try to figure out a use for the previous player's megaproject, whether turning it into a dormitory or making I spit lava or something else entirely, without removing either the mega or the project part—in other words, if the megaproject is a giant statue, you must leave it statue-shaped but can hollow it out. Don't destroy megaprojects of previous players or doom the fort on purpose; if you accidently destroy the fortress, post the world's folder and the next player will reclaim. If you can't quite finish your MP in time, you may ask the next player to finish it; if you are asked to finish a megaproject, please do so, but you don't have to finish it well. You may select a dwarf as your own (i.e. be dorfed) whether or not you have a turn, but if you have a dwarf please apply for a turn. Please don't try to kill off other players' dwarves, and don't blame the player whose turn it was for accidently killing your dwarf (unless it really wasn't an accident). For fun, please refrain from engineering unfortunate accidents for anyone, especially nobles; assigning them to the military or as a hunter with no training is acceptable in extreme circumstances or to deal with migrants.

Mods: I have made a lot of cavern creatures tameable and trainable, like the amethyst man and the voracious cave crawler, both of which were embarked with. I also dummied out a couple of soap-related reactions, meaning that they are there but aren't accessible.
EDIT: Oh, yeah, some goblins will show up as "goblin webbers." They are supposed to fire webs made of iron but might not. If not either pretend they are good at working with spiders or that they only use their webs for decorative purposes.

The site: A freezing taiga/ocean embark. Untamed Wilds. Supposedly the ocean biome has shallow metals and flux, but that can be rather unreliable...
Oh, and we're at War with the goblins.
EDIT: Oh, right, here's a picture of the starting site.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Other than that, there's sand, clay, frozen ocean off to the northeast, not much interesting. A freezing biome, like I said, so ice forts are possible...please try not to dig out the ocean unless needed for your MP.

In short, really cold area, megaprojects, make them useful, be nice, tameable cave monsters.
Oh, and have Fun!

Dwarf list:
Turn List:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:43:07 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Randomconstructs: Out-megaproject the player preceding you!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:49:46 pm »

I'll take the miner and a turn! name him Rick Ironic Demon!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:55:14 pm »

Gotcha.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:43:36 pm »

is it alright if I only use a few pics? I'm terrible(and I mean HORRIBLE) at doing a picture every other in-game day. Could I just take pics of important stuff(like progress of the megaproject, or a siege)?
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:46:41 pm »

Sure. However many or few as you like. It took me ages to figure out screenshots!
Sig

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:57:21 pm »

This sounds like an awesome idea. I'm in.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 09:59:48 pm »

You're on the list!
Sig

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 10:02:02 pm »

Hm, In might as well.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 10:03:44 pm »

Do you want to join or just make bad jokes? If the latter, get out, that's my job!

;)
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 10:16:58 pm »

I'm almost done with spring, and have a nice, cliffhangerey update.

Granite 1, 400
Hurrah! The new year hath cometh! However...we have arrived. This desolate land has nothing but trees, sand, snow, and abundant supplies of ice. This gives me an idea for a small project: The Road of Sand and Ice, a hallway leading from the frozen coast, through the frozen sea and frozen ponds, to the trade depot, in the frozen ocean, made of ice. One day the ice will be lined with the finest engravings, the sand with finest statues, and the floor with finest...something, I haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe paved with the finest traps.
I have also chosen a spot for an office in the middle of a large, wide frozen pond. This will also be sculpted. Kidet knows how long all of this will take.

-----
A deer wandered into the area.

Granite 6, 400
To pass the time, I chose a spot for a temporary food stockpile. I also told Ballgates to gather the plants.

Granite 8, 400
I ordered Runmirrored to dismantle the wagon.
Progress is slow on the entrance tunnel.

Granite 11, 400
Hm, with that silty clay, maybe it should be the Clay, Sand, and Ice Road.

Granite 13, 400
As mining out the bottom of the pools does not leave an ice floor, for whatever reason, I will relocate my office area to the ocean.

Granite 15, 400
I order the oceanic-ice part of the tunnel dug out so far to be smoothed. That way Chasmcastle has something to do.

Granite 20, 400
I find a good spot for a future emergency safehose.

Just remove the ramps, add a door and bang! Order someone into it, lock the door, and nothing can get in (or ou...hm, maybe it could get rid of a few...no, that's horrible!).

Granite 23, 400
I start “paving” the murky pools with ice.

Granite 24, 400
I'll have Chasmcastle start smoothing the pond-ice, too.
How exactly does ice form ponds?

Granite 27, 400
Why was Chasmcastle squeezing in right next to Runmirrored? There was plenty of space...if she keeps doing stuff like that...er...I'm not sure where that was going. Poor, cramped, unsuspecting Runmirrored.

Slate 1, 400
One month gone by.

Slate 10, 400
We, oddly enough, seem to be running low on ice. Somehow.

Slate 23, 400
Almost two weeks since the last entry, and nothing to report except the appearance of a fox to replace the deer.

Slate 27, 400
Claspticks hit sand on the curve back. He's almost to sea!

Felsite 3, 400
Another month, summer is almost here. Not that I think I'll notice.
We officially lack sufficient ice to pave the pools. I suppose we will need to reach the frozen sea before we can finish.

Felsite 4, 400
Claspticks hit the sea.

Felsite 6, 400
I tell Chasmcastle to start smoothing the sea ice.

Felsite 7, 400
Claspticks starts on my office.
He mentions that he wants to be called Rick Ironic Name, and that he is actually a she. Women these days...they wear their hair so long that I can't tell if that are women!

Felsite 10, 400
Mainly to give everyone something to do, I chose a spot for a wood stockpile.

Felsite 11, 400
Oh, I forgot to mention, I made an aboveground farm for rat weed and whip vine a while back. On a vaguely related note, I chose a spot for a still today.

Oh, sweet Volal Inollikot!

A tenstrong tribe of badgerfolk--six men and four women--have scared off the nice little fox. So far, they are benign, but I know the tales...they are not nice.
Sig

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 11:01:35 am »

Could I have a turn?
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 06:14:12 pm »

Count me in!

I've never constructed anything enormous and pointless yet, and I'm game to try!
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 07:22:13 pm »

In and in.
Sig

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 09:17:30 pm »

I notice that I still haven't been put in. Any reason as to why?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 09:40:21 pm »

I wasn't sure if you wanted to be or not. I'll add you.

-----
Felsite 12, 400
In order to keep my mind off of the badgerfolk tribe, I tell Chasmcastle to start engraving my future office.

Felsite 13, 400
Oh Volal a badger man just got inexplicably angry at Runmirrored and is now chasing him...and is now going the other way, fuming? Now h calmed down. Phew.

Felsite 17, 400
It seems that miners clear away all the ice off of non-ice surfaces.

Felsite 20, 400
As spring draws to a close, the weather still reminds me of tht nether-cap swimming pool I swam in when I was 15 to show off (it ended badly), and Claspticks--er, Rick—is leaving sandy slopes instead of fully clearing out the spots. It is the ocean bottom, and near the water's, er, ice's edge, but still...

Felsite 21, 400
A badger man got enraged at a voracious cave crawler! This will be interesting...

Felsite 22, 400
As (unfortunately) the badgerman calms down, a thirsty Hailedarches has an angry badgerwoman charging at him. Oh dear...and Boltdwells caught in there as well...and she's carrying through on her anger...Boltdwells gets her nice meal interrupted, but Hailedarches refuses to put down the beer barrel until the crazed lady takes a swing at him! She calms down, though, allowing both to return to their repasts.

Hematite 1, 400
Summer.
The future depot area is currently the meeting hall.
The badgerfolk were replaced by a giant moose cow.

Hematite 3, 400
I chose a spot for a prickle/fisher berry farm.

Hematite 8, 400
Hailedarches and I are sick of having no furniture.

Hematite 9, 400
Boltdwells reported a lack of barrels. Therefore I had a carpenter's workshop built.
I also the Runmirrored to stop hauling wood.

I also order the first sandy part of the ice-tunnels coated with ice.

Hematite 11, 400
In order to make the floor-paving process go faster, I decide to stop hauling wood and start coating floors.

Hematite 12, 400
As a nice surprise, Rick finished my office and is starting on the starircase down to my future rooms, and to explore the sediment beneath the seabed.
...Or not, he's going back to the beginning of the tunnel...Crazy women.

Hematite 13, 400
I order three barrels and fifteen beds to be made.

Hematite 16, 400
Happy 282nd birthday to me.
(Note: I think I forgot to mention that I removed dwarves' maxages as well.)
Three deer wandered in as the giant moose wandered out.

Hematite 24, 400
That %^?* farmer brewed a little sewer brew instead of making fine whip wine? Or at least some more dwarvish wine?

Hematite 25, 400
Rick is working on that starircase, having finished the rest of the digging. I choose a spot for the main fortress to be dug.
...And then he chooses to dig out the main fortress...

Hematite-Ah, never mind, computer bugginess, last save.

Hematite 8, 400
Hailedarches and I are sick of having no furniture.

Hematite 9, 400
Boltdwells reported a lack of barrels. Therefore I had a carpenter's workshop built.
I also the Runmirrored to stop hauling wood.

I also order the first sandy part of the ice-tunnels coated with ice. In order to make the floor-paving process go faster, I decide to stop hauling wood and start coating floors.

Hematite 13, 400
I set up a confusing but elegant and efficient (I think) tangle of workshops and stockpiles to be dug out, for most of our production industries—meat, stone, wood, the works.

Hematite 14, 400
Aaand Rick went on break. I wonder if there's a connection...

Hematite 16, 400
Happy 282nd birthday to me.

Hematite 20, 400
Seven reinbeer drove off the giant moose.
Reindeer, my mistake...hm...if I didn't already have a plan for my monument, I might try to turn that inverted letter (Note: Tyop on my part) into one...

Hematite 25, 400
Boltdwells made a little sewer brew and a lot of dwarven wine.

Hematite 26, 400
Rick went back to work! She's working on finishing my office.

Malachite 1, 400
She finished my office, worked on straightening out the tunnels nearby, and walked into a ventilation shaft she dug and started in the middle of the industrial complex.

Malachite 6, 400
Oddly enough, before any other part of the complex neared completion, and before most had a single handful of dirt removed, Rick finished the skull stockpile area. And now she's working on the wood stockpile...
Runmirrored is on break.

Malachite 10, 400
Rick dug into the future carpenter's workshop, through the hallway, dug out part of the staircase, then another hallway, part of the butchery/tanning area, and then back to the wood stockpile where he started.

She later went and struck fire clay! The potters will give their praises! I'll start a kiln/claycollect are right here...er, that seems to be sand right there...ah, well, random other workshop I guess. New kiln

Malachite 11, 400
Phyllite! Stone! Hurrah!

Malachite 12, 400
A spot for a kiln has been chosen.

Malachite 13, 400
The wood stockpile is complete.
Oh, and Ballsgates is on break, joining Runmirrored.

Malachite 16, 400
Migrants!
Etur Ropesplashes, a scrawny little dwarf who is a talented grower, skilled metalcrafter and novice appraiser, as well as being asseertive, relaxed and a bit...creepy. He's cheerful but likes giant cave spiders. I do too, but even I admit that they are a little creepy. He likes art and notural beauty. Could he be an elf in disguise?
Nah, elves can't craft metal.
Following Ropesplashes is Rigoth Salvesands, a talented weaponsmith who also believes in adamantine as well as liking the thorns on silver barbs. In addition to those characteristics and her somewhat antisocial ones, she is a novice at wood cutting, comedy, and flattery. Yet another frightening dreg of society.
And these two are the only ones to arrive. I also noted that the land-snow has melted--sensible, as this is the heightof summer. And I doubt I could tell it from winter.

The arrival of migrants to our little fort is just the first of many new outcasts, and so seems a good place to stop. Too bad it's on the top of the new page.
-----
So, two new shady characters, an irritating computer problem, and things going so slowly I might barely be able to make my project.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10