Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Major graphical glitch  (Read 403 times)

JBWilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c] Major graphical glitch
« on: March 01, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

I recently upgraded from Windows 2k to XP Home w/ SP2.  When I play DF I now get this type of view, which changes at a rate that appears to be my g_fps setting (10).

In most frames the streaks originate from the upper left corner of the game canvas, as below:

http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=glitch1re7.png

Every several frames or so there are starbursts like this:

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=glitch2tb0.png

The pictures shown here are from a save I imported from the previous OS, and 33g--however, these glitches also occur during the intro animation as well as the embarkation screen on a newly created world, so it seems safe to assume they aren't caused by a corrupted save file.

The game appears to run fine and at the speed I am used to, but it's unplayable as far as my eyes are concerned.

Computer specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ on an Asus A7V8X-X mainboard
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO (128 MB)
1 GB RAM
Samsung Syncmaster 172x LCD display

I have the most current drivers for the monitor, mainboard, and video card.

Thanks.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Major graphical glitch
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

Try setting G fps to 15, and using an older driver (Im not sure about ATI card drivers).
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 01:23:00 am »

That looks a lot like a dying video card. Check to make sure it isn't overheating.

Any problems with any other programs?

Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Foul_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 05:52:00 am »

I can't guarantee this since I can't examine your card in person, but from looking at those screen shots I'd say your card is dying.
If you're really quick with it you might be able to fix the problem before the card dies completely though.  If I were you I'd open my case, blow out the fan, and then get a tube of good heat dope (arctic silver FTW) and lay a nice thin bead on your GPU's heat transfer point, then put the fan back on it and see what happens.
Problem is, the damage may already be done.  This happened to me a while back with basically the same symptoms.  I tried greasing it, but no dice.  I had to pick up a new graphics card after about two days.
Good luck, man.  Hope you fare better than I did.
 seek the dying, the sick and deformed; all who would taint the species
stabbing and choking and burning and drowning exterminate subhuman feces

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 08:22:00 am »

Yeah, my gut instinct (and the last time I saw something like this) was a dying video card. However, a BIOS upgrade to the vid card fixed this one. No guarantees for that working for you though.