Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 3 - Rise of the Jewel [Game Over]  (Read 107494 times)

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Terribly.
Really? You think things are that bad? There is one person voting for you, and not everybody has yet to show up, and you think your already giving off scumtells?
Compared to the beginning of Beginner-
Wait. Comparing this to a BM is stupid and unrealistic. This is an actual game.

Given this new thought, I have nothing to gauge it on.

I thought you meant no as in 'no I won't answer the question.'

In this case, you go "Why are you contradicting yourself, SCUM!?"
So my question to you is: Why are you using a question that can only generate scumtells in RVS?
It is easy to answer these questions, and give a yes or no answer, without looking scummy. Bad things happen as soon as you panic though.

I fail to see how, in that question in particular, I can play in a game with that question in it and not get jumped on.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Put it this way, if I were you, and you were me, would you vote for you?

I fail to see how, in that question in particular, I can play in a game with that question in it and not get jumped on.
Well, firstly, yes, items are deadly to town, have you read the last RL Mafia? We were steamrolled because scum got some awesome items. We are shooting in the dark, and scum know what they are doing, making their item use a lot more effective. Although this is all debatable, I'm sure there are people out there who think items save the town more then destroy it.

Secondly, why would anybody want to remove a game feature just because it hurts the town? Scum also hurt the town, but I wouldn't ask for a game wiithout them, that would be no fun!

The trap you fell into was being defensive in your answers, worrying more about falling into traps then what the question was asking.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Put it this way, if I were you, and you were me, would you vote for you?
Most likely.
Well, firstly, yes, items are deadly to town, have you read the last RL Mafia? We were steamrolled because scum got some awesome items. We are shooting in the dark, and scum know what they are doing, making their item use a lot more effective. Although this is all debatable, I'm sure there are people out there who think items save the town more then destroy it.

Secondly, why would anybody want to remove a game feature just because it hurts the town? Scum also hurt the town, but I wouldn't ask for a game wiithout them, that would be no fun!

The trap you fell into was being defensive in your answers, worrying more about falling into traps then what the question was asking.
My jaw dropped at this post. Then Mr. Hand met Mr. Face. Repeatedly. I need to do a little more thinking and a little less vomiting all over the forums.
My Sig

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 3 - The Cavern of the Emperor's Jewel [Day 1]
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2011, 09:56:29 am »

Bullshit, my question has the same amount of validity as any other RVS question. Which is to say it has no validity, but that's the whole point.
Uh... so you admit that you didn't expect the RVS questions to have any value and still FoS Nuke over it? What the hell, Mr.Person?

Nuke, your only post in the game is so utterly devoid of content that I can't help thinking that you're activelurking right off the bat. If you're refusing to participate in the RVS, how do you plan getting back in the game later?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2011, 10:29:39 am »

Oh sorry, is that your lawn here?
You're goddamn right this is my lawn. And you punk kids need to get off of it.

NUKE9.13:What's with the pointless rant? If you had enough time to type that up, you had enough time to do some RVS as well. If you had a Magic Lamp, what item would you pick?
1)I want you punk kids to stop having such long RVS
2)I don't want to participate in the RVS
3)I would pick the scroll of mind your own goddamned business

Now then, Orangebottle. What makes you think that the RVS is so useful? Have you ever gotten, or seen someone get, any information from any of these ridiculous questions? And if so, has that information actually served to find the scum in any useful capacity?

Furthermore, Max White is correct. You are acting overly defensive. Its the RVS. Why do you feel so pressured? Oh, wait, I know.
Because you actually are scum.
How's this for hypocrisy, Orangebottle?

Heh heh heh.

Nuke, your only post in the game is so utterly devoid of content that I can't help thinking that you're activelurking right off the bat. If you're refusing to participate in the RVS, how do you plan getting back in the game later?
Its true; you got me. I was active lurking... in the RANDOM VOTE STAGE.
Honestly man, listen to yourself. How can anyone active lurk (to post a lot of posts with little to no content) in the stage of the game WHERE THAT IS THE FRIGGIN POINT
Furthermore, I had three posts.
Whatsmore, the RVS is NOT NECESSARY, I SWEAR TO GOD, ANYTHING TO START CONVERSATION IS ENOUGH.
Long Live United Forenia!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Vote Count:

Darvi: 
Think0028: 
Mr.Person:  Orangebottle, Dariush
Orangebottle:  TolyK, Mr.Person, NUKE9.13
Dariush: 
NUKE9.13: 
billybobfred: 
Max White:  Think0028
Firelordsky: 
TolyK:  Darvi

Not Voting:  billybobfred, Max White, Firelordsky

Day 1 will last until Tuesday 8/30 at 11 PM EST.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2011, 01:50:27 pm »

Uh... so you admit that you didn't expect the RVS questions to have any value and still FoS Nuke over it? What the hell, Mr.Person?

Random vote stage can also refer to random FoS stage, too.

@Nuke: Remind me to ask you a question later today. Thanks for ending RVS.

The answer was incredibly obvious, you'd have to have a negative IQ to get that question wrong. Not only that, but you proceeded to FoS someone for not actually contributing to RVS. Which is exactly what you were doing by asking that question.

You're overestimating Daruish here. Nyuck nyuck nyuck.

You're missing the point. It's not his answer to the question, it's HOW he answers the question and what he does AFTERWARDS that matter. The fact that the question is irrelevant is itself irrelevant. So here's a question for you. Is your RVS vote more valid than my RVS vote? (Also, I always give bullshit RVS questions since I suck at starting conversations, so maybe I should improve on that).

In any case it's RVS, randomly voting someone is maximum contribution. Nuke did minimal contribution by not even doing THAT, so I mainly FoS'd him to get him to post. And yes, if he didn't, I would of voted him to get him to respond. Yes, he doesn't do RVS and that makes him better than us and blah blah blah, but at some point I'd be voting him because of lack of content anyways.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile

No Lynching
Wow i'm actually surprised that i didn't get any votes for me
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Not exactly true. The Scrolls of Hellfire and Genocide can be stolen (right?), plenty of rares that work with that as well. I think that if scum got their hands on some other artifact, that would suck for town already.

Aight then. Unvote.

On the other hand, Firelordsky.

No Lynching
 Wow i'm actually surprised that i didn't get any votes for me

Now, why would you assume that you would get voted on so early? It's because you're scum, and you were afraid to screw up early, right?  Your no-lynching also shows how passive you are. Why should we hand the scum a free nk instead of, you know, actually hunting them?

What makes you think that the RVS is so useful? Have you ever gotten, or seen someone get, any information from any of these ridiculous questions? And if so, has that information actually served to find the scum in any useful capacity?
Says the guy who immediately afterwards declares somebody scum. So much for not getting information out of RVS I guess.
Whatsmore, the RVS is NOT NECESSARY, I SWEAR TO GOD, ANYTHING TO START CONVERSATION IS ENOUGH.
Okay then mister wiseguy, how else would you start conversation if not with random questions?

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile

Well if I protest Íll probably look more suspicious. :-\ Then again I should probably unvote and vote Darvi for President or something.Maybe he should be President? Arghhh!! I can't decide. Maybe tomorrow i can actually think?
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Well if I protest Íll probably look more suspicious. :-\
You're not supposed to protest. You're supposed to squeeze the pulpy truth out of the fruitscumbags.

I think I have metaphorgotten something there.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2011, 08:54:28 pm »

NUKE9.13:What's with the pointless rant? If you had enough time to type that up, you had enough time to do some RVS as well. If you had a Magic Lamp, what item would you pick?
1)I want you punk kids to stop having such long RVS
2)I don't want to participate in the RVS
3)I would pick the scroll of mind your own goddamned business

Now then, Orangebottle. What makes you think that the RVS is so useful? Have you ever gotten, or seen someone get, any information from any of these ridiculous questions? And if so, has that information actually served to find the scum in any useful capacity?
1)Okay, fine.
2)Why? Because you don't want the town to have anything to go on?
3)Okay. Were I in that situation, I'd pick the Scroll of Answer The Fucking Question, Scumbucket.

RVS makes starting the game that much easier. Without something to go on, the game would be a bunch of No Lynches and the scum would win every time. That, or people would just randomly vote eachother. No content would be provided, just "I VOTE THAT GUY" "HEY, WHY YOU VOTE THAT GUY?! I VOTE THE FIRST GUY!" etc.

The first RVS questions lead to more questions. RVS is why Max White has a case. Granted, it's a case on a townie, but the only reason he has it is because of my answer to one of his RVS questions. RVS alone won't usually lead to a scum lynch unless the person asking the questions is lucky, but if one finds the answers scummy and continues asking questions, they'll be able to build a better case.

Furthermore, Max White is correct. You are acting overly defensive. Its the RVS. Why do you feel so pressured? Oh, wait, I know.
I'd like a super-sized Bandwagon, please. Oh wait, you've already provided that.
I seem defensive because after asking a few questions and answering a few, I had to answer that long
chain of questions from Max White.

Its true; you got me. I was active lurking... in the RANDOM VOTE STAGE.
Honestly man, listen to yourself. How can anyone active lurk (to post a lot of posts with little to no content) in the stage of the game WHERE THAT IS THE FRIGGIN POINT
Furthermore, I had three posts.
Unvote. Nuke.  What the fuck. You attack me for asking you a couple of questions, you refuse to answer aforementioned questions, and then you just pick up Max's case and say "Go hang." You've also contributed very little, and are yelling at the town for using RVS, as if you don't want the town to know anything.
Nuke: I'll just summarize my questions here:
1) Why don't you want us scumhunting?
2) You refused to answer my previous question. I want it answered.
3) What's with the HOLY SHIT RAGE CAPS? You're getting pretty angry about an important part of the game actually happening.
4) Are you seriously bandwagoning me because I asked you a couple of questions?
My Sig

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, shoot. That question I wanted to ask Nuke? Darvi asked it. I was hoping Orangebottle would ask it.

Specifically, I was gonna wonder why you were declaring RVS useless and then afterwards use it to get a read on Orangebottle. Is this not the case? I mean, it's fine not to like RVS, but you can't say "ANYTHING ELSE WOULD WORK!!!!!" if there's nothing else that could work. After all, you've said we could do other things to start RVS but have never said what these mythical other starts would actually be.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2011, 11:54:08 pm »

Could you explain your reasons for this vote, Nuke?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What makes you think that the RVS is so useful? Have you ever gotten, or seen someone get, any information from any of these ridiculous questions? And if so, has that information actually served to find the scum in any useful capacity?
Says the guy who immediately afterwards declares somebody scum. So much for not getting information out of RVS I guess. ~Hence the self accusation of Hypocrisy. Heh heh heh. Lets see how Orangebottle himself reacts, eh?
Okay then mister wiseguy, how else would you start conversation if not with random questions?
Well, I personally like acting stupid and irrational and then seeing how people react to it. Admittedly, if everyone did it, this strategy would lose its merit. Then it would be called the RANDOM ACTING STAGE or some such, and the scum would still have no problems fitting in with the rest. Conversely, if used more sparingly, by players who know what they are doing, random questions can also be used as conversation starters. Also viable is roleplay, and non-random questions (serious inquiries into the nature of the game)- these cannot be used during a full-blow RVS, obviously, as they would be confused for random.
In other words, the main issue I have with RVS is not actually its length, or the fact that its not like in my days, when we trudged uphill through the snow for our scumtells, but that it is so stagnant. Everyone uses it. (Almost) everyone knows exactly how to react. Thus the pay-off is far less than could be gained from a mix of strategies, and why day 1 often lasts so long before folks can choose someone to lynch.

Now get off my goddamned lawn.

Could you explain your reasons for this vote, Nuke?
I most certainly can.

Orangebottle did not react in the perscribed manner to your questions. At first, he seemed merely annoyed at their pointlessness, but as one goes on one quickly realizes that he is more concerned with appearing like scum; constantly analysing the actions of both of you to prove his innoccence.
They're random questions! There is nothing deep about them! No one is going to lynch you for answering them wrong! Why on earth does he feel under so much pressure after one random question and one follow up question?
The logical answer is because he has a reason to be afraid; that he is scum.
You will notice the inherent hypocrisy in having RVS-information as a basis for a vote immediately following a statement that the RVS cannot provide useful information. This was done on purpose, to further aggrevate Orangebottle in an attempt to get more information. It falls under the heading of 'acting stupid and irrational', for the purposes of starting the day up.

1)Okay, fine.
2)Why? Because you don't want the town to have anything to go on?
3)Okay. Were I in that situation, I'd pick the Scroll of Answer The Fucking Question, Scumbucket.[/quote]
1)What? No it isn't. You go on to say that I am scum for not wishing to participate in this. Make up your mind, guy!
2)See? Right here. Now, as it happens, I have- voluntarily- given out more 'things to go on' on myself than anyone else has through means of random questions. So, shut up.
3)Fortunately, I have an Amulet of Nuts To That, which blocks your question on account of those questions are supposed to get people to talk, and possibly give you reasons to attack them. I am talking, and you evidently think you've found reasons to attack me, so I see no reason to answer your question.

RVS makes starting the game that much easier. Without something to go on, the game would be a bunch of No Lynches and the scum would win every time. That, or people would just randomly vote eachother. No content would be provided, just "I VOTE THAT GUY" "HEY, WHY YOU VOTE THAT GUY?! I VOTE THE FIRST GUY!" etc.
Well no, see above. This is indeed the logic which has allowed the RVS to perpetuate itself, but the logic is flawed. In that there is empirical evidence that this is not the case, in the form of (all-but)-RVS-less games, which still manage to have a day 1 full of serious discussion.

The first RVS questions lead to more questions. RVS is why Max White has a case. Granted, it's a case on a townie, but the only reason he has it is because of my answer to one of his RVS questions. RVS alone won't usually lead to a scum lynch unless the person asking the questions is lucky, but if one finds the answers scummy and continues asking questions, they'll be able to build a better case.
See above again; the RVS is so stagnated that scum and town alike know how to respond to the questions (I guess you are new at playing scum) in order to get the questioner to move on (also, Max White is a stubborn SOB). This means that whilst -in theory- the RVS leads into discussion, in practice, it tends to drag on without any actual suspicions emerging from the chaos. We were lucky, this game.

I'd like a super-sized Bandwagon, please. Oh wait, you've already provided that.
I seem defensive because after asking a few questions and answering a few, I had to answer that long
chain of questions from Max White.
I like to call this 'buzzwording'; finding something that looks like one of those fancy mafia terms, using said fancy mafia term, and not explaining why. Buzzwords can't scumhunt! You have to do it! The buzzwords are merely shorthand, not accusations in and of themselves!
Yes, yes you do. See above. You were/are acting crazy pressured. At this point, it could be justified, given the three votes on you. When Max started questioning you, it wasn't. At all.

Unvote. Nuke.  What the fuck. You attack me for asking you a couple of questions, you refuse to answer aforementioned questions, and then you just pick up Max's case and say "Go hang." You've also contributed very little, and are yelling at the town for using RVS, as if you don't want the town to know anything.
Nuke: I'll just summarize my questions here:
1) Why don't you want us scumhunting?
2) You refused to answer my previous question. I want it answered.
3) What's with the HOLY SHIT RAGE CAPS? You're getting pretty angry about an important part of the game actually happening.
4) Are you seriously bandwagoning me because I asked you a couple of questions?
0)I did not attack you for asking me questions. Had you not, I would still have voted for you given your strange behaviour earlier.
0a)I have so contributed. To reiterate; in the previous stage of the game, promoting discussion is contributing. I promoted discussion=I contributed.
1)When did I say that.
2)Right. If you really, really want me to answer your question, tell me this first: WHY. At this point, what could you possibly gain from a silly random question about my preference of item?
3)Two answers to this: A)I GET CAPSY IN MAFIA. DEAL WITH IT. IT DOES NOT (HARDLY) IMPEDE MY CAPACITY FOR REASON
   B)I GOT ANGRY TO GET PEOPLE TO CALL ME ANGRY, FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROMOTING DISCUSSION
4)Nope. I am voting for you third because I believe you are scum for the reason above. To reiterate: overly defensive, feels pressured at early stage.

Well if I protest Íll probably look more suspicious. :-\ Then again I should probably unvote and vote Darvi for President or something.Maybe he should be President? Arghhh!! I can't decide. Maybe tomorrow i can actually think?
Haha, nope. If you protest, you are defending yourself. Basically, for a new player like you, the best thing to do is if you're town, act like you want to act- don't try to think up what we want to hear. If you make any of the common noob mistakes, we can point these out to you.
And if you're scum, try to forget you are scum, then act based on the idea that you are town.
Now, you may have a harder time scumhunting, what with not knowing about common scumtells, but you can still look for suspicious people. Suspicious =! people with lots of votes on them- although that can be an indicator that you should look into them. If you think they have done something strange, give them a vote and call them out on it. It's the only way to learn!

Orangebottle is still scum.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36