Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Efficient Dwarven Medical Practice  (Read 19550 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Efficient Dwarven Medical Practice
« on: August 18, 2011, 05:42:40 pm »

Basementstricken may be doomed.  The Forgotten Beast-caused full-body kitten rot is endemic and apparently unstoppable.  (Can't find the source of the contaminant, and can't tell if a dorf is going to get it until he's got it.)  Dorfs are rotting left and right.  The doctors are doing what they can, but when the whole body is rotting, there's not much that can be done. 

OR IS THERE?!

The diagnostician comes along, examines the dorf, cleans him up, then says, "Yep.  Remove all the rotten tissue.  That'll fix 'em right up."  So the surgeon comes along and removes all the rotten tissue.  Stuff like skin, muscles, lungs, pancreases pancresis pancressii organs, brains... you know, all that rotted stuff.

Surprisingly, even after successful surgery, the dorfs have all suffocated almost immediately after.  So sad.  Still, can't blame the doctor.  No malpractice suits have been filed as of yet.  And the doctor is quite ecstatic for all the masterfully prepared food and drink he's been eating in legendary dining rooms and having admired a truly sublime well, and so forth.  Good to see him keeping a positive attitude.

At least they fit into the coffins very compactly.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Efficient Dwarven Medical Practice
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 06:03:19 pm »

No, nothing can be done except trying to save other dwarves from infection.  Do you remember, which part of the beast was poisonous? If it's just the spit or something, you're relatively safe, as it doesn't spread. But if it's the blood, every dwarf that comes into contact with it, is doomed. They usually try to wash it off at the well/water source which leaves another puddle to infect more dwarves. The only good solution is using DFcleanmap from DFhack, which removes all puddles of blood.
Without using that tool, you should find all the beasts blood and stop your dwarves from touching it. It that means that you have to put the last healthy dwarves into quarantine and start a new fort, so be it. It's the only way.

Did the doctor actually amputate lungs and pancrei-organ-brain-things? That may be a reason for suffocation ???
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 06:08:09 pm »

Oh yes, everything that was rotten HAD to GO!  IT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE HIM!!!

Urist McDwarf: "But Doctor, you said you were going to remove all the rotten parts and he'd be fine?"
Urist McSurgeon: "After consultation, the Diagnostician and I believe he died of severe boneitis.  If only we'd been able to remove his skeleton in time, we believe he could have made a full recovery."
Urist McDwarf: "Armok bless you good sir for trying your best."
Urist McSurgeon: (Places fists on hips and looks dramatically into the distance) "It's what I do."

(To be honest, it's more fun watching the surgeon methodically eviscerate each dwarf as they come down with it than try to figure out where it's coming from.  If my fort is going to die from something, then death-by-gradual-vivisection is pretty damned dwarfy.)
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:36:16 pm »

(To be honest, it's more fun watching the surgeon methodically eviscerate each dwarf as they come down with it than try to figure out where it's coming from.  If my fort is going to die from something, then death-by-gradual-vivisection is pretty damned dwarfy.)
sigged
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

The Button

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 07:43:27 pm »

i had this happen to a fortress of mine.  Fortunately the rot only covered the skin and eyes and fat. . . . Unfortunately there was no water source in my fort and no way to wash the dwarves down. . . .

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:52:21 pm »

Build or dig out a small (about 7x7) quarantine room with a one-tile doorway, and place a steel (or iron) door in the doorway. Create a burrow in the quarantine room. Assign all infected dwarves to the burrow. Forbid the door once all infected are in. Let the FB corpse rot to a skeleton (and let that rot till there's nothing left). Sooner or later, all the infected dwarves will be dead. Don't touch the corpses, forbid them and all the items the infected dwarves had. Put a stone floor over where any FB blood might be, and mark the bloodstain as a restricted traffic zone prior to the placing of the floor. Seal off the FB skeleton, even if that means sealing access to half your fort! Wait until the epidemic has run its course. If many dwarves were infected, you could have a tantrum spiral unavoidable, and if the infected survive the virus, you've a fortress of zombies. Dump Magma on them, or dump them in Magma. Or, let the zombies roam your fortress, disable all labours on them, and make a living for the (uninfected) survivors.

To practise medical skills regularly, make a 2-level drop. Make a floor extending 2 tiles out from the drop. Place a hatch cover on the end of it. Place a burrow on the hatch. Link the hatch to a lever. Assign a dwarf to the burrow. Pull the lever. If he doesn't land headfirst, take him to your hospital. If he does, bury him immediately. To deal with open wounds, place a spike trap armed with a single wooden spike under the drop. Once fallen, the dwarf should be bleeding, but hopefully not profusely. If the spike tore the heart, bury him immediately. Have fun!!! (I mean that literally, not telling you to go and get yourself or your fort killed)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:40:18 pm »

There are no FB corpses anywhere anymore.  They have all either decayed or been butchered.  I've already walled/floored/cordoned off the area where any FBs have been killed.  I know one of the FBs was causing this all-body rot with deadly dust, but he died many years ago and I have no idea where the contaminant suddenly came from again.  I've done everything I know to do, and all that's left is that dorfs and pets have suddenly started rotting from within, seemingly arbitrarily, and the doctors are having !!FUN!!

Urist McImmigrant: "Hi there! I'm new here in Basementstricken!  Please treat me welllll---aaaRRRGH!"
Urist McDiagnoser: "Do you have the rot?  Are you clean?  Is it safe? IS! IT! SAFE!"
Urist McImmigrant: "Uh!  I don't know whaaa---aaaAARGHH!"
Urist McDiagnoser: "TO SURGERY! NOW!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Yeeeehhhhsssss."
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"

Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Urist McDiagnoser: "This one has been cleansed with the blood of Armok!  We must be strong and resist the corruption.  The corruption that rots from within.  Eh heh. Ehh heheheh.  AaahhhhHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:48:11 pm by ledgekindred »

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:44:29 pm »

I've had something similar happen before when I was playing a smallish (10 dwarf) fort, my single military dwarf killed an FB and got covered in blood (which was rot inducing), I feared he would die after I noticed his entire body was rotting, but after a few minutes he just... got better.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 10:17:05 pm »

I just tested these claims.

I modded cats to melt on embark, producing puddles of cat-syndrome-laden-goo. The cat syndrome targeted the eyes and the heart with advanced rot (taken from the GDS syndrome). I also modded out shoes from the dwarf entity.

On my test embark, the cats died and the 4 dwarves who rushed over to clean up the puddles became infected. I set up a hospital and let the doctors go to work. All of the starting 7 were full doctors. After the "Diagnosis", there was a short bit of "Surgery", followed by the "Remove Rotten Tissue" job. After the doctors left to clean up, the medical charts for the dwarves had "Rotten tissue excised from left eye". The dwarves had scars on both eyes, which were blind since most of their tissue was excised. The heart was still rotten, had no surgery performed on it, and was not amputated. The eyes weren't even amputated, just cut apart.

I'm calling BS on doctors killing patients. In DF, there is neglect, but there isn't malpractice.

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 02:08:56 am »

Well thats a bug and a half.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 02:12:06 am »

The stories about FB sicknesses on how you madmen deal with them are just so funny. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 04:04:21 am »

Soo...  what do the surgeons do with the rotted dwarf parts?  Refuse pile?  Magma-powered bioincinerator?  Bridge-apult aimed at an Elven retreat?

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 04:16:53 am »

brilliant surgeon training!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 04:35:36 am »

Soo...  what do the surgeons do with the rotted dwarf parts?  Refuse pile?  Magma-powered bioincinerator?  Bridge-apult aimed at an Elven retreat?

Rotten dwarf arm roast. If you leave it too long it becomes a rotten rotten dwarf arm roast.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 07:17:20 am »

I just tested these claims.

I modded cats to melt on embark, producing puddles of cat-syndrome-laden-goo. The cat syndrome targeted the eyes and the heart with advanced rot (taken from the GDS syndrome). I also modded out shoes from the dwarf entity.

On my test embark, the cats died and the 4 dwarves who rushed over to clean up the puddles became infected. I set up a hospital and let the doctors go to work. All of the starting 7 were full doctors. After the "Diagnosis", there was a short bit of "Surgery", followed by the "Remove Rotten Tissue" job. After the doctors left to clean up, the medical charts for the dwarves had "Rotten tissue excised from left eye". The dwarves had scars on both eyes, which were blind since most of their tissue was excised. The heart was still rotten, had no surgery performed on it, and was not amputated. The eyes weren't even amputated, just cut apart.

I'm calling BS on doctors killing patients. In DF, there is neglect, but there isn't malpractice.

As always, da vinci to the save. Great job.
Pages: [1] 2 3