Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Efficient Dwarven Medical Practice  (Read 19552 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Efficient Dwarven Medical Practice
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 07:24:58 am »

I'm actually a little disappointed that rotten dwarf aren't removed for the patients own good.

Cool story anyway.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 07:47:16 am »

I really wish there was some sort of program, something like DFhack or Dwarf Therapist, that could allow you to specifically choose what part of the body you want amputated and operated on.  This should work on non-injured dwarves as well allowing you to, say, remove all their skin, cut their nerves, amputate toes, etc.  Essentially, you would be able to go all Dr. Moreau on your dwarves. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 08:52:25 am »

I could only see that addition ending well, especially with Genesis and the other mods that err... "expand the dwarven anatomy"

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 08:54:12 am »

I'm calling BS on doctors killing patients. In DF, there is neglect, but there isn't malpractice.

Ok.  I never understood this mindset of "I can't make it happen, therefore you are lying."

1) Dwarf comes down with FB syndrome
2) Dwarf goes to hospital and lays around until Diagnoser gets there
3) Diagnoser tells surgeon to "excise rotten tissue"
4) Surgeon does surgery
5) Dwarf suffocates almost immediately after

If you don't want to believe me, fine.  But that's what's happening in my fort.

I call BS on your so-called "tests."  There.  Take that.

Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 09:05:13 am »

I'm actually a little disappointed that rotten dwarf aren't removed for the patients own good.

Cool story anyway.

"amputated" is a valid medical chart term in DF according to a string dump, so there may be situations where entire parts are removed. I'm thinking that only parts which can be severed, say by a sharp sword in adventuring mode, can be amputated. I know you can't sever the heart or eyes. Perhaps if an entire hand is rotten, but just that hand, they'll amputate it. Perhaps I can trick them into amputating the lower body or head by making all the non-vital parts rotten.

I'll test that later today, but I have to go to work now...

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 09:35:54 am »

I really wish there was some sort of program, something like DFhack or Dwarf Therapist, that could allow you to specifically choose what part of the body you want amputated and operated on.  This should work on non-injured dwarves as well allowing you to, say, remove all their skin, cut their nerves, amputate toes, etc.  Essentially, you would be able to go all Dr. Moreau on your dwarves.
I'd prefer it to get bits added. Say hellloooo two headed and triple-breasted Dwarf-monstrosity. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 09:37:43 am »

I'd prefer it to get bits added. Say hellloooo two headed and triple-breasted Dwarf-monstrosity. :P

Well, the program shouldn't be able to create new body parts out of thin air, that would be cheating...but if you cut off a body part, you could potentially graft it onto another dwarf.  I love it!  Imagine having a six-armed swordsmaster...
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 09:38:48 am »

Well, obviously the parts would be second-ahah-hand.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 09:40:28 am »

Well, obviously the parts would be second-ahah-hand.

Yep.  And if you don't have enough soap, infections are bound to happen if you graft anything onto another dwarf or animal. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 02:24:00 pm »

I'm calling BS on doctors killing patients. In DF, there is neglect, but there isn't malpractice.

Ok.  I never understood this mindset of "I can't make it happen, therefore you are lying."

4) Surgeon does surgery

Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

lol'd

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 03:15:14 pm »

i must now get a fb with a skeleton that causes bone rot.

so the patient woke up, and his skeleton was missing.
and thats how i lost my medical license
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 03:47:52 pm »

da Vinci, maybe his dwarves will cut out the heart because the fat and skin has rotted off/been taken off and the heart is then accessible for amputation? Try an upper-body rot test with the melting cats.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:50:26 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 04:30:39 pm »

Also, how exactly do you get cats to melt and give syndromes? I'm interested in doing some syndrome testing myself.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 05:57:02 pm »

Three words: The Dwarven Centipede.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 06:22:47 pm »

4) Surgeon does surgery

That is the best use of Godwin's law EVER.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.
Pages: 1 [2] 3