Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie Questions about creating a Tilesets / limitations of a tileset  (Read 1949 times)

Philotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi,

i'm trying to create my own tileset (by modifying the phoebus tileset) and i have a few questions so far.

• First Question:

If i get this right, there is one "main" tileset (in /data/art/) for the font and the walls and further tilesets for dwarfs and creatures (in /raw/graphics/).
Am i right with the assumption that you can create as many further tilesets as you want, as each graphic pack has a varying amount of them? Is there any limitation?

• Second Question:

Would it be (theoretical) possible to create different graphic for each object and texture in the game?
Like...
Can i draw different tiles for lemonite, granite, Malachite (....) without overriding symbols or characters used in the menu screens, for example?

Because the Dwarf fortress wiki says that each tile is used for multiple things in the game and the amount of tiles limited, so you can't draw a unique graphic for everything, but each graphic pack uses multiple tilesets, so i'm confused.

I haven't found a raw file defining textures or characters, too, and i know that some things withe the phoebus pack look like a chair even though they aren't a chair.

My assumption is that some things need to be in the "main tileset" (like textures) and unique tiles are limited to creatures/dwarfs, but i hope that i'm wrong because i would like to give some ores an unique look in my tileset without the need to overwrite existing tiles.  :'(

(basically i wanted to make it easier to visually match each ore with the metals it would produce)

• Third question:

Why are there raw files in each tileset defining objects, not only graphics? (defining biomes, bodyparts and the like for creatures).

If i create a tileset, do i really have to "overwrite" information like density of metals? (i understand that i could just copy the original files, but that would make my tileset incompatible even with small updates, i guess)

So a tileset is basically a "mod" ?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1.) Yes to the first. Dunno about the second, I don't think there's a limit.
2.) Only creatures (not vermin) and their professions can use those special graphic sheets. Everything else must correspond to a certain symbol in the main 256 character sheet. There are some unused umlaut-heavy characters that most graphics packs claim for some other use, such as minerals in Phoebus.
3.) Because every creature, item and mineral has a token that determines which symbol they use from the main 256. It'd be much easier if there was just some "WHICH ONE SHOWS AS WHAT.txt" that wasn't attached to everything else, I know.

Philotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you.

I hope that eventually the restriction of 256 main tiles will be lifted :\.

Another question:

There are truetype fonts in my graphic packs and the option for dwarf fortress to use them instead of the graphics.

If i use the truetype font, wouldn't that free the characters in the main tileset (as the truetype font is used instead of them), so that i could use the free tiles for additional graphics?

Of course, the menu screens would be fucked up without truetype font enabled, but if, could i freely use the tiles?

Edit:

Just tested it, seems like this should be possible.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:51:51 am by Philotes »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

The embark screen and all ingame descriptions will look horrid, because they dont use TTF. they are always grey+black background though, so you could use inverted letter tiles for your ore, which would make the tile mono-colored in the end. Guess that ok for ores though, so it might be worth a try.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::