Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven cognitive sciences report  (Read 20607 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven cognitive sciences report
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 11:23:43 pm »

Yes, I'm necroing here, but your "spawning pits" idea has been rattling around my head for awhile and I just though of a new twist that might... just... work...

Suppose your female caste were unable to live on land, but were instead aquatic only?  "babies" would be aquatic and "children" would be amphibious, but also learn their "swimming" skill during this phase.  Once a "child" became a peasant, it would either become a vanilla dwarf land dweller (if male) or the fully aquatic type (if female).  Food may be something of an issue, since stockpiles don't generally exist under water, but I expect the breeding pits might have a division with the breeder's food supplies in it that can be pumped out, which might explain why dwarves are so good at pumping liquids all over the place while none of the other races use any such devices.  The females might also just be really good at catching and eating water creatures too.

Anyway, it was a thought.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 11:50:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

this would result in drowned babies, mostly. when a child is born it is assigned a caste based on their pop ratios. if you just have male and female its 1:1, a fifty fifty chance for either or. the females are aquatic, so if it's born female the baby is fine. but if it's born male... well. dead baby. unless you make the females aquatic and the males amphibious, but this is all ignoring the larger problem. dwarven pathfinding doesn't like water, even if they're aquatic. plus theres the issue of getting the females into a pool before they "drown" in the firstplace, which is...problematic. sorry to rain on your parade.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 01:48:57 pm »

Technically you can have interaction that makes females sterile but requires a certain bodypart to function (say add in a bodypart called "nobreed" or something like that, and make it out of functional tissue) but then have another interaction that when in water it is used, which disables this "anti-birthing" organ which then stops the "sterile" interaction thus allowing birthing, but this water interaction also transforms the female into an aquatic female form that is not born naturally, however the issue is that females born in the water, will instantly transform (good or bad) these spawners could also have the [PET] tag in the caste so they breed without marriage, making males the only thing able to live out of water, and die as cannon fodder

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 06:07:06 pm »

Hugo: That's basically what I was thinking - that the males were the canon fodder and the females were the breeders.  I suppose the three-gender system used by hive insects might be better, with one female, a select few "breeder" males and the rest being non-reproductive drones.  The drones do almost all of the hauling, building and maintenance work while the males exclusively tend to the female and the female pretty much keeps on chugging out a steady supply of new drones and replacement males. (incidentally, the males are often a fall-back in case the female is unable to continue her duties.  Expose a male to "royal jelly" and they soon become the new female.)

Nobles are basically worthless - they'd take the place of the male insects in the above scheme.  I really don't see much functionally different between dwarves and termites/ants anyway.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 12:15:34 am »

A caste-changing syndrome-inducing contaminant could be created and released into a specially-designated water supply. Squads of males can be restricted to the royal jelly burrow for mass gender reassignment in times of crisis.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 09:10:14 pm »

Good god, this topic is horrendous.

Continue, good sirs, with all of my blessings, continue.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 02:40:40 am »

Why, Solon? If we are talking about animals and pets, it's okay. The nature is much more varied than human ethics allow it to be. It's not like we are making a mermaid baby farm...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 01:14:32 pm »

Why, Solon? If we are talking about animals and pets, it's okay. The nature is much more varied than human ethics allow it to be. It's not like we are making a mermaid baby farm...

IDEA!!!!!!!!!! ROFL
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)
Pages: 1 [2]