Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pissing off a civ  (Read 3425 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Pissing off a civ
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:36:03 pm »

Hey there.

I've been trying to provoke a war between my civ and humans for a while now.
In adventure mode, I killed their old law-giver and massacred their two towns..now in fortress mode, it's the third year they come with their caravan, which I always pillage or murder, depending on my mood.

Now, for my surprise, they've sent a diplomat, their caravan is more guarded than usual, and also they seem much more rich/developed in their goods..
So I seized what I wanted and killed their diplomat before he managed to get in my fort to spy on my traps.

Will this lead to a siege, sometime? Or now that their leader is killed, they can't declare war?

Thanks!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Zapitron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pissing off a civ
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 12:42:01 am »

After a few fruitful years of trading with humans, a human diplomat showed up at the map's edge right next to a panda.  There was no way I could get there in time, and it shredded him.  The next time I saw humans, was as a siege.

Based on that limited experience, I think you've got a siege coming.
"They killed our last caravan?  That's it, I've had it.  Instead of arming those hostile dwarves with our exquisite wooden swords, let's see the disappointed look on their faces when all we offer them are our useless tamed grizzly bears."

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 12:50:32 am »

Awesome. Finally, then!

Also, their diplomat was their law-giver, only leader..so I guess they may be A BIT pissed off..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:10:22 am »

I murdered every single caravan, diplomat, and tree I could find and the elves never went to war with me. Nothings ever simple.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:35:12 am »

I once got a human diplomat that died of old age right at the map edge... of course I got blamed and they brought lots of iron weapons the next year - pointy end first, of course. The year after that, they sent a new diplomat with a peace offering which I accepted because I wanted to finish my megaproject before going to war.

I found elves really hard to piss off during the game, but somehow managed to gen a few worlds with elves at war from the beginning. Their first attacks usually come at the same time as the first goblin ambushes. They're very easy to kill but also completely useless as they only bring wooden weapons and armor. Only the archers are really annoying, especially if there are 20 of them at once.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 12:26:19 pm »

After a few fruitful years of trading with humans, a human diplomat showed up at the map's edge right next to a panda.  There was no way I could get there in time, and it shredded him.  The next time I saw humans, was as a siege.

A panda shreded him?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:30:41 pm »

A panda shreded him?
Pandas can be pretty dangerous, both in df and in real life. Just because something looks friendly, it doesn't mean it is friendly.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:31:02 pm »

A panda shreded him?
Pandas can be vicious, I had one decapitate a bronze arm(or)ed (DIY embark set) axe dwarf.
On a caravan note, I tend to use the first caravan or two of elves to help me beat off the goblin ambush. By use, I mean I send them to their deaths, hoping they split the goblins up so that they can be zerg rushed more easily. I generally don't stop killing them, yet they have yet to siege me....

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 02:44:19 pm »

I tried killing a whole human caravan, then tried just seizing goods, and they did nothing.
Now, on the 3rd year, that diplomat arrived..so I killed everyone except one trader, so he go back to his town and tell his friends to come have Fun with me next summer...I hope it happens.

Too bad I won't be able to play much this weekend: My queen is almost arriving, I'm almost finishing my castle, I'm waiting for goblin/human siege (and maybe an elf siege since I seized their goods 2 times now)...I also want to have another try at desalinating water, since everything I do, my wells' buckets keep getting "water laced with salt" stuff..

PS: Deathsword and kopout: sigged!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:48:35 pm by Gabeux »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 03:31:23 pm »

If you want a war with the Elves, you'll need to mod their Diplomats back into the game (which, unfortunately, must be done prior to worldgen). There's a thread over in the Modding forum which describes how to accomplish this.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 03:40:23 pm »

Elves can suck it, I steal all their wood and booze every year so they leave and I get booze with a nice complementary pile of effortless wood.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 02:54:35 pm »

PS: Deathsword and kopout: sigged!
Yay! I got siged  :D
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 02:59:15 pm »

I'm going into year 7 and every year have killed the elves after seizing their goods, in hopes of a siege. This last time I killed 2 of their merchants and then chopped off the arms and a leg of the third to leave him crawling (or hopping back) to tell his civilization what happened. I want their horses.
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 03:08:26 pm »

Don't elves give you better stuff if they hate you? I heard they assign exotic animals to a lower priority than cloth or something.