Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Conservative Crime Squad, Take 3  (Read 11993 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conservative Crime Squad, Take 3
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 05:09:57 pm »

Hmm the Liberal Crime Squad is having trouble being more iconic.

Though I guess since the LCS are so intro drugs that could do something.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:17:57 pm by Neonivek »

Shajenko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 10:10:16 am »

I recall an episode of a TV series (Sliders I think) where the police used guns that shot syringes full of narcotics to subdue criminals.  I wonder if this can be worked in.

LLC has the nightmare scenario of the Orwellian 1984 state, more or less.  Since I always figured the nightmare scenario from the perspective of the CCS would be an oppressive state of enforced political correctness and "happiness", perhaps the worst case scenario wouldn't be that drugs are widely available, but that their use is actively enforced (being clean would be illegal).

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 04:31:05 pm »

Seeing as your C+ points seem relatively tame, a revised list:

An Unborn child is given full rights as a citizen.

Reverse discrimitation is illegal, ensuring freedom for all Americans.

Education and enforcement have eliminated drug trafficking and abuse.

Free speech is religiously protected.

The flag is protected against all types of desecration.

Taxes are low, flat, and without special interest breaks.

The government provides free weapons for people who can't protect their family otherwise.

Corporations are generously subsidized for helping the economy.

Corporations are no longer controlled by communist unions.

Police are guaranteed total power to stop crimes.

Polygamy, bestiality, and homosexuality are completely outlawed.

Murderers, rapists, and terrorists are guaranteed death for their sins.

Only military and lawmaking organizations are still government-run.

The powercompanies are generously rewarded for supporting the economy.

The United States military is capable of crushing any foreign power.

All non-communist nations are actively engaged in trade with America.

The United States uses international organizations solely to enforce its righteous agenda.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 04:32:58 pm »

The C+ reasons are tame because it shows how conservatives view them, same reason why in the LCS it makes liberal america seem perfect and conservative america seem like hell.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 04:52:04 pm »

Really? I remember the L+ laws being just as loony.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 05:09:32 pm »

Really? I remember the L+ laws being just as loony.

Some of them were "too much of a good thing" and loony that way... but they were supposed to be part of what is otherwise a liberal paradise.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 05:24:11 pm »

A direct comparison between LCS's L+ issues and ServantCorps' proposed C+ issues.

Recreational drugs are regulated and taxed.
Education and enforcement have eliminated drug trafficking and abuse.

The military has been weakened significantly.
United States military superiority is unrivaled.

Immigration is unregulated.
The country is respected as an international leader on Moral Interrogation Practices.
American foreign policy is based on vigorous pursuit of economic prosperity.
The US is no longer a member of NATO, NAFTA, and the UN.

Rich people are virtually unheard of, due to taxation.
Taxes are low, flat, and clean of special interest exceptions.
Most non-security government bureaus have been eliminated entirely.

Abortion is legal.
Individual privacy is sacred.
An Unborn child is given full rights as a citizen.

All law enforcement positions are subject to election and recall.
Law enforcement is obliged to protect the people sparing no expense.

The death penalty is considered barbaric and never practiced.
The death penalty is mandated for murderers, rapists, and terrorists.

Nuclear power is illegal.
Industry is subject to zero-tolerance pollution regulations.
The United States is a lead innovator and net exporter of energy.

There are universal workers' rights and a high guaranteed minimum income.
Employers can hire those employees best qualified for the job.
Unions are no longer allowed to limit the rights of workers and businesses.

Gender equality is universally respected.
Racial equality is guaranteed and vigorously enforced.
Animals are people, too.

Homosexuals have equal rights.
Traditional marriage is Constitutionally protected.

Corporations are subject to intense regulation, and there is a maximum wage law.
Corporations are rewarded significantly for helping the economy.

Election expenses are publicly funded, and voting is by ranked list.

Free speech is universally supported.

Flag-burning is legal.
The flag is protected against all forms of desecration.

It is illegal to buy, sell, or carry a gun in public.
The government provides free weapons for people who can't protect their family otherwise.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 06:24:25 pm »

***Obligatory please don't take it personally statement***-

I think those comparisons start to point out where one =/= equal the other on the scale.

The country is respected as an international leader on Moral Interrogation Practices.
-----

C+ doesn't address immigration except in a roundabout way. A moderate position on immigration implies at least some regulation. What's conservative about that portion of immigration policy? That it's beholden to economic prosperity? That's all implied. It's grey and written to be as palatable as possible to a moderate view point. "Unregulated immigration" implies all sorts of faults inherent in the assumption. Quid pro quo? 'Vigorous pursuit of economic prosperity' does too, but much less specifically and with a lot more wiggle room for positive interpretation.

All law enforcement positions are subject to election and recall.
----
Law enforcement is obliged to protect the people sparing no expense.

Again. One has a very clearly message. The other? Who DOESN'T want law enforcement to, most of the time, spare no expense when protecting us? It's written with barely a nod toward what is arguably the dark side of law enforcement taken too far. Therefore, to me, that reads as moderate, not C+. How about "Law enforcement is obliged to protect the public interest at any cost, and isn't subject to the oversight of civilian authority."

Nuclear power is illegal.
Industry is subject to zero-tolerance pollution regulations.
------
The United States is a lead innovator and net exporter of energy.

Assumes that being the lead exporter of energy is done without cost? It doesn't address it. The L+ issue has a very clear drawback, no nuclear power and the cost imposed on industry. In C+ America, the way that issue reads, we're either to assume that being a lead exporter of energy comes with maximum environmental damage....or we could assume it's a 100% clean fantasy power source. The issue doesn't really make it clear.

Corporations are subject to intense regulation, and there is a maximum wage law.
----
Corporations are rewarded significantly for helping the economy.

And again.

This pretty much spells it out. Everyone wants free speech supported and/or protected. Is there really a difference here?

Part of it comes down to the thinking, I believe. As a liberal, I don't play LCS gloating that my liberal ideology finally reigns supreme. It's a mixed bag of absurdity, violence and occasionally, some good works and an opinion I agree with. It isn't "Pro-liberal" and implies Elite Liberal leadership is just as rife with problems as Arch Conservative. This is "Pro-conservative." Where liberalism is straight up bad from a conservative viewpoint and what conservatives are working for is more like a moderate conservative Shangrila.

To put it in plainer terms, when playing LCS I don't feel like I'm on the side of right. I'm an actor on one side of an absurd political drama. Reading through these issues, I feel like it's trying to make me feel like the good guy as an "equal response" to LCS. Which misses the spirit of what LCS captured that made it so good.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:35:57 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 07:10:14 pm »

I wonder what kind of newspaper clippings CCS should have.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 09:27:45 pm »

-----

C+ doesn't address immigration except in a roundabout way. A moderate position on immigration implies at least some regulation. What's conservative about that portion of immigration policy? That it's beholden to economic prosperity? That's all implied. It's grey and written to be as palatable as possible to a moderate view point. "Unregulated immigration" implies all sorts of faults inherent in the assumption. Quid pro quo? 'Vigorous pursuit of economic prosperity' does too, but much less specifically and with a lot more wiggle room for positive interpretation.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare those lines so directly. Vigorous pursuit of economic prosperity is referring to trade policy; unregulated immigration is about immigration. Immigration is much more contentious issue than trade, though both are sensitive for the same reason: Foreigners took our jobs. It doesn't mean much that I put them together; all four lines are really different issues.

This pretty much spells it out. Everyone wants free speech supported and/or protected. Is there really a difference here?

There's no difference and that's intentional. Both sides have the same ideal, and both sides are hypocrites. In either game, you're a hero standing up for free speech, and opposing the worst excesses of your political opponents.

Though I'm rather fond of ServantCorps' issues myself, I'll take a crack at how I would rewrite them, if he asked me to, with an eye toward your criticisms:

Education and enforcement have nearly eliminated drug trafficking and abuse.
American military superiority is unrivaled.
American trade policy is open and based on pure reciprocity.
The USA is no longer a member of NATO, NAFTA, and the UN.
Taxes are low, flat, and clean of special interest exceptions.
Welfare and Social Security have been abolished.
Full citizenship and legal protection is granted to unborn children from conception.
Law enforcement is given all means and resources necessary to stop crime.
The death penalty is mandated for murderers, rapists, and terrorists.
Employers can hire those employees best qualified for the job.
Unions are not legally recognized or given any special rights.
Fossil fuels form the backbone of a strong and innovative domestic energy industry.
Traditional marriage is Constitutionally defined and protected.
America is a haven for unregulated free enterprise.
The flag is protected against all forms of desecration.
America's thriving gun culture has all but eliminated violent crime.

I think in general a lot of people take the overall tone of LCS and imagine that the L+ issues share that sense of irony, when most don't really. They're very plain and simple, and while they're forthright, they're not intended to scandalize. You don't feel like a hero in LCS, because what you do isn't heroic. The absurdity isn't about the goals, it's about the means.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 11:10:34 pm »

I can see why previous CCS game makers get more and more irritated at issue discussion.

As it stands, I like most of Jonathan S. Fox's proposed issue write-ups, and I'll probably pick and choose from what Jonathan wrote and what other people suggested as well. I just don't want to write which one I'll pick right now, because I'm too preoccupied with other stuff to think about what precise words to use to describe what will be referred to shorthand as C+.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 03:44:20 am »

Well, before anyone gets too irate, let me add that issues are in the end largely a flavor thing (although they inspire mechanics.) My take on your issues is from what my ideal CCS would look like, and I ain't writing them. Not all of your issues are something I think could be different. The "Every family gets a gun/guns and a sandwich" issue is pretty funny to me, in an absurd sort of way. It's just when I think of the game's inspiration for what issues to fight against or for...leftist terrorists...some of those issue outcomes you wrote seem better suited to political action committees than armed terrorists.

I mean, how do you commit domestic terrorism in America in favor of our world wide dominance in the energy industry, both in output and innovation? I could think of some examples, but I don't want to piss anyone off any further.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 04:34:08 am »

So Servant Corps, the issues aside, how goes the development of the actual game? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 08:27:55 am »

Well overall it is the vision of the person currently making the version.

They don't HAVE to follow the guidelines that LCS has put forward and can make it a unbelievably zany and crazy game that is completely off the wall with Hippies that shoot drugs at you or perhaps Liberal Agenda reporters completely negating an entire days work.

In fact you may have to. Liberal Crime Squad found a way to make itself work within the guidelines of a conservative apocolips.

But the Liberal Apoc in CCS is not only tame but from what is currently written up it is "easy mode" (Though I still say the fact that the L+ in CCS is basically the "Road Warrior" SHOULD have inspired something). Some Embelleshing may be required.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:31:15 am by Neonivek »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 09:09:22 am »

So Servant Corps, the issues aside, how goes the development of the actual game?
I'm planning on updating when I actually have progress.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4