Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Conservative Crime Squad, Take 3  (Read 12028 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Conservative Crime Squad, Take 3
« on: August 19, 2011, 01:41:01 am »

...of course, because I'm busy with so many projects other than the CCS, I haven't really done a whole lot. But I do have at least a list of laws to tease you with, and since I knew that the previous two threads were blown up over The Issues rather than the mechanics of the game, I decide that it's probably better for me to release what I have right now. Also, building up hype might force me to show more work on this project...I hope. Maybe. :(

I also might want to check with the LCS forum to see if it is a good idea to introduce a different mechanic over elections that would differ from that of LCS. In LCS, you get to see the exact number of Senators and Representatives that are in each political alignment, but I am concerned that I might not have the ability to code in such a mechanic with the limited knowledge I have over the "Choice of" engine. Instead, I'm thinking of modeling a "Median Senator/Representative for both the House and the Senate, which will help bias the Senate or House in one direction or another. In addition, national propositions would be removed, but instead the House and Senate to be much more responsive to public opinion, with this Median Congressman providing a check to ensure that Congress doesn't get too attached to the whims of the masses. This sounds like a good idea in my head, but I haven't started work coding it, and maybe the LCS forum doesn't like it, so it's best to figure out now before I invest too much time and effort into it.

Anyway, in spoilers are the Issues that will be in the first edition of the CCS game. Other Issues may be added in after the game is released. There is no such thing as an extreme L++, like there is a C++ for LCS. The LCS and the CCS start off already active...if the LCS succeeds in making all of the laws L+, they win the game.
Spoiler: Issues (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:56:40 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Conservative Crime Squad, Take 3
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:44:53 am »

Do I recall correctly, that you're working on the T-Engine?

Also, thumbs up and best of luck for the project!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 01:47:40 am »

Um. The T-Engine project is being done by LordBucket, not me. I will be trying a new game engine instead. The LordBucket's thread is over here if you are interested in the status of that project.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 01:49:29 am »

Good luck, Servant Corps. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 01:51:37 am »

Um. The T-Engine project is being done by LordBucket, not me. I will be trying a new game engine instead. The LordBucket's thread is over here if you are interested in the status of that project.

Oh, I just got you two mixed up in my head. Thanks for clarifying!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:30:21 am »

I thought conservatives liked NATO and NAFTA. Certainly not the UN, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 04:33:46 am »

I'd say the US would generally like NATO, as it represents the US's miltary allies.

I'd suggest removing the trade policy issue.  It doesn't really fall along Conservative/Liberal lines.  For instance, both Presidents Bush (Sr.) and Clinton pushed for free trade hardcore.  Clinton in particular is famous for passing NAFTA, which basically removed all trade barriers between the US, Mexico, and Canada.  If memory serves correctly, Bush W. attempted to restrict or revoke NAFTA during his presidency.

And many a conservative would like to see a return of tariffs.  Really, it all depends on what business the Conservative runs.

So for the love of sanity, I'd strongly suggest removing the Trade Policy Issue.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 04:07:44 pm »

I think you've done a fine job with the issues, in general. L+ seems quite scary and C+ seems pretty in line with a Conservative-to-Libertarian viewpoint. Rewarding Corporations (at taxpayer expense) might be non-Conservative though.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 04:18:22 pm »

Well, conservatives support oil subsidies, which are on the taxpayer's dollar. As I understand it, the given reason is that it's alright to support business with taxpayer money if it means that they in turn will be providing said taxpayers with better services.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 07:25:22 pm »

The L+ issues seem insane enough....but the C+ issues feel like they're written to be "correct" rather than a logical extension of conservative policy to its maximum extent. There are some outcomes of vanilla LCS L+ laws that are just as absurd as their conservative counterparts.

This is the only one that comes close to what I see as a C+ law.

"The government provides free weapons for people who can't protect their family otherwise."

The rest of them just feel like they're all pegged on a "Bad/Good scale" with liberalism stuck at the bad end.

I always liked LCS for the fact it's morally ambiguous going both ways (Conservative death squad vs. a lack of civil authority power). This feels much less so. But good luck to you none the less.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 03:44:54 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 12:10:44 am »

I have to admit the L+ world is quite interesting there.

I mean... at that point law enforcement can't do ANYTHING to stop you.

However the roving murderious bands of serial killers armed with bazookas may be a big deal.

Heck you may be going to the store when Communist Russia just barges in and claims it as a soveriegn nation since the USA is so weak. Plus there should be newspaper reports on horrible events going on in the world because the US isn't there to help (and if the US's military is at C+ the newspaper should have things like "US brings true peace to the middle east" or "US declaired soul super power in the world" or "US defeats INSERTCOUNTRYHERE, renames it Americaland")

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 12:13:00 am »

"US defeats INSERTCOUNTRYHERE, renames it Americaland")
I think "US defeats the unjust regime of INSERTCOUNTRYHERE, integrates it into the Union."

That seems more in line with C+ as the "good/less evil ideology".
No Gods, No Masters.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 12:25:54 am »

At least the CCS difficulty level will begin nice and low... :)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 12:29:29 am »

The Anti-Hate Speech Squadron will see to it that the CCS is labled as a hate group and marked for extermination in the name of the greater good.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 12:56:10 am »

The Anti-Hate Speech Squadron will see to it that the CCS is labled as a hate group and marked for extermination in the name of the greater good.

Huh, perhaps it would be better for difficulty progression if they didn't...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4